Sign in to follow this  
Jack_be_nimble

Applying for SS - fewest steps/best turnaround time for expat..

enoonmai

Well, it may have changed since 2010, but you can't set up an online account now.

Yes you can, I did it yesterday. It's now requiring a US mailing address to register. I put in my US mailing address and registered, when I logged in it had my Phils address under the profile. What you can do is limited, you can get statement letters and update email, you cannot make address/phone changes or update direct deposit, you have to call an 800 (or Manila). Still a tiny step in the right direction for us undesireables.

Headshot

Yes you can, I did it yesterday. It's now requiring a US mailing address to register. I put in my US mailing address and registered, when I logged in it had my Phils address under the profile. What you can do is limited, you can get statement letters and update email, you cannot make address/phone changes or update direct deposit, you have to call an 800 (or Manila). Still a tiny step in the right direction for us undesireables.

Well, the only US address I have is my FPO address...and it won't accept that.

easy44

Well, the only US address I have is my FPO address...and it won't accept that.

Don't you have a relative in the US that will let you use their address for this purpose?  I use my son's address for my mailing address.

Jawny

I tried to set up an online account yesterday and I live in the US. I called the help desk and was told that they verify the address against your credit report to confirm your identity. I have lived at my current address for one year and was not successful. She said to leave off the phone numbers.

I believe the reason there is an issue with the need for a U S address is that the process includes a verification of the address by checking a credit report. For myself, I haven't had a U S address for many years. In fact, I can't even get a credit report online for the same reason.

Not sure there is any real value in getting an online accout from comments of previous posts. Not much can be done online.

Edited by Jawny