Sign in to follow this  
tomaw

Discontinuing Medicare while in Philippines on Phil-Health

tomaw

Just wondering if this can be done and if it should be done. On the pro side MediCare will cost me about $105 a month and can't use it while in The Philippines. That money can then be put into a bank account and saved for emergencies. On the other hand if I have a serious medical problem I'm going to want to jump on a plane and head to a US ran hospital on Guam, Hawaii or California where I'll need Medicare. Ideally I'd like to be able to turn Medicare off and on as needed but my guess is this is easier said than done. Just wondering what other members would recommend, especially those that go back and forth frequently. I'd appreciate your advice on this.

Edited by tomaw

Kabisay-an gid

Absolutely keep your Medicare active and paid up. Medical emergencies often happen when you least expect them. :)

• Like 5

Paul

I thought Obama had all that sorted out for the American people? I thought he was taking care of everyone with his new medical program, no? 

If so, it shouldn't cost you anything to be covered, if you are retired. 

• Like 1

Edwin

Don't cancel your Medicare coverage. It isn't something you can turn off and back on without paying penalties.

colemanlee

guess Ill just have to die, I was 63 when I came here, havent done anything with them, actually looked on my retired Marine Id the other day and it says it expired when I turned 65, as I needed to change tri care to something...at least Im a 90% vet...if it get serious I can just go there..

tomaw

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought. I'll keep MediCare and keep it active. It's just $104.90 out of my SS Check each month. I'll also get Phil-Health. Does anyone know what that will cost for myself (a foreigner) and my wife ( a Filipina)?

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

colemanlee

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought. I'll keep MediCare and keep it active. It's just $104.90 out of my SS Check each month. I'll also get Phil-Health. Does anyone know what that will cost for myself (a foreigner) and my wife ( a Filipina)?

I think my wife told me today it was about 2500 per year..

tomaw

I think my wife told me today it was about 2500 per year..

Thanks, but is that 2500 pesos or US $ ? Also is that for you and your wife or just one of you? Edited by tomaw

colemanlee

Thanks, but is that 2500 pesos or US $ ? Also is that for you and your wife or just one of you?

Sorry, pesos, for both my wife and me...actually here we pay for all the relatives phil health...trust me its cheaper in the long run lol

• Like 3

Paul

Thanks, but is that 2500 pesos or US $ ? Also is that for you and your wife or just one of you?

Always in Piso. Insurance in the Philippines would never be in USD.

tonny

Been here 9 years been off the whole time and even before that ,i have Phil health , at 75 who cares  but i do keep my  first card which says i have it , and if i make it back to the US alive i will just use it  and when the catch up just say i am old and i have bad memory and ask for a wavier  from there policies, worked before

Edited by tonny

Wonderer

guess Ill just have to die, I was 63 when I came here, havent done anything with them, actually looked on my retired Marine Id the other day and it says it expired when I turned 65, as I needed to change tri care to something...at least Im a 90% vet...if it get serious I can just go there..

TRICARE becomes TRICARE for Life at Age 65.  You have to have Medicare Part B to maintain your TRICARE for Life eligibility.   If you don't sign up for Part B when you're first eligible or if you drop Part B and then get it later, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Medicare. Your monthly premium for Part B may go up 10% for each full 12-month period that you could have had Part B, but didn't sign up for it.

http://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/penalty/part-b-late-enrollment-penalty.html

• Like 1

colemanlee

TRICARE becomes TRICARE for Life at Age 65.  You have to have Medicare Part B to maintain your TRICARE for Life eligibility.   If you don't sign up for Part B when you're first eligible or if you drop Part B and then get it later, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Medicare. Your monthly premium for Part B may go up 10% for each full 12-month period that you could have had Part B, but didn't sign up for it.

http://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/penalty/part-b-late-enrollment-penalty.html

so how do you do that from here, unless I get something I cant live with, honestly, Im not going back to the states, and seems I cant do it on the computer as they always tell me I dont have a password or something,,,so just how do you do that

Jawny

Philhealth is very inexpensive but it does not provide the kind of financial compensation other commercial insurance does. In effect, you get what you pay for as far as recovering your costs. I think of it as more of a discount card. There are many threads from members describing the amounts they got for some particular form of care.

One advantage with philhealth is hosptial admission becomes a simpler process when philhealth is available. As I recall from other posts by having philhealth there is less cash deposit required upon admission.

Keeping Medicare part B coverage seems like an excellent plan b for situations where you want to have care in the USA. It is the medical emergencies where a return is less likely that can be a problem if there is little insurance coverage.

Wonderer

so how do you do that from here, unless I get something I cant live with, honestly, Im not going back to the states, and seems I cant do it on the computer as they always tell me I dont have a password or something,,,so just how do you do that

Some useful links for you:

http://www.medicareinteractive.org/page2.php?topic=counselor&page=script&script_id=1786

If an individual does not sign up for Part B when they first become eligible, they can take advantage of the general enrollment period each year. General enrollment runs from January 1st through March 31st of each calendar year; coverage begins on July 1st

Edit:  added paragraph

Edited by Wonderer