Can a Filipino be too old for Phil health?

Jawny

Something that is very common here is for individuals to get help from others whenever they face a bureaucracy. This is how fixers make their living. In my experience, fixers are not crooks or deceptive. Some may be, but in general, they offer a service and it can result in better service from the bureaucracy.

In many families, there will be an uncle or someone who is willing to make the effort to assist by becoming a sort of amateur fixer. The family member offers to handle everything. They may extract a fee of sorts. This is often done by making an estimate of what the costs will be and then collecting the money, doing the various "fixing" and anything left over they keep. Not really crooked. More like "keep the change" situation.

I point this out for those who think they are being ripped off. It may be they just feel that way especially if they are not living here and depend upon others to inform them, such as a girlfriend etc.

What is frequently the case is that the agency collecting the fees (hosptial, tax agency, etc) will learn that a foreinger is financing the process. Then the kano taxes appear. Hard to dodge this bullet if the girlfriend or others reveals the source of the money.

With regard to the philhealth not being paid for the elderly, nothing further from the truth. It could be the situation got a bit complicated as the op described it with the old woman making some demands which philhealth may not cover.

As well, as a previous post said, being eligible does not mean much. The individual still needs to register. By the way, not all barangays are so helpful. My elderly in laws got no assistance from their barangay.

• Like 3
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• batman2525

• Woolf

• maximian

• easy44

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, you don't need to be married to a Filipina.  I opened my own account under my own name.  It's available to single foreigners, even on a tourist visa. They are automatically qualified but

Just had my wife read this, as has been said, because of her age, its free....sounds like old Uncle Fred is hustling.....she also said the only people that get taken advantage of as much as foreigners

List of accredited hospitals   http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/about_us/phCARES_hospitals.pdf   Page 10    region 7  Sacred Heart Hospital

Woolf

As well, as a previous post said, being eligible does not mean much. The individual still needs to register. By the way, not all barangays are so helpful. My elderly in laws got no assistance from their barangay.

Where in philippines is that ?,

in Cebu City  it was an order from the mayor  as far as I remember

easy44

Now your getting technical

Not really, just means they qualify by virtue of their age but they still gotta fill out the forms and get registered.  It costs them nothing.

Jawny

Where in philippines is that ?,

in Cebu City  it was an order from the mayor  as far as I remember

In leyte.

Anyone ever heard of being too old to claim Phil health?  

I find this strange as the President has not too long ago, permitted Phil health to be given to ALL Senior Citizens, free of charge and it this day and Age just how old is old?

JP :hi:

batman2525

UPDATE.

Just spoke with the G/F and now the story has changed,now its nothing to do with being too old.....its Sacred Heart hospital policy not to pay on surgery.???

She says that her mothers bill for hip surgery was 95,000.

When she asked her "Uncle Fred" to ask for a deduction for her mothers Phil health "Uncle Fred" said he went to the hospital which was Sacred Heart,the hospital told "Uncle Fred" that they dont pay Phil health when surgery is involved....so,I said to my G/F what about other parts of the bill that dont include surgery...she said "Uncle Fred" say no Phil health allowed at Sacred Heart.

Im going to call the hospital myself and find out,I believe Phil Health pays 20% so that would mean "Uncle Fred" and possibly my G/Fs sister made a potential 19,000 pesos on the deal.

batman2525

Now...before I start pointing the finger....is there any way Sacred Heart could say they dont pay Phil Health for the surgery part of the treatment.?

Woolf

I do not know I have never been involved with any hospital here

maybe someone else

• Like 1
maximian

Now...before I start pointing the finger....is there any way Sacred Heart could say they dont pay Phil Health for the surgery part of the treatment.?

Has your GF's grandmother used Philhealth this year, before the most recent operation?

It is Philhealth who would be paying Sacred heart. There is no set percentage that Philhealth will pay on a hospital bill and from my experience it seems to vary from case to case.

She can pay the hospital using a UK credit card.

batman2525

Has your GF's grandmother used Philhealth this year, before the most recent operation? It is Philhealth who would be paying Sacred heart. There is no set percentage that Philhealth will pay on a hospital bill and from my experience it seems to vary from case to case. She can pay the hospital using a UK credit card. Like This

All this happened less than 1 year ago.

The bills have been paid.

The Mother has not used Phil health.

tomaw

Not really, just means they qualify by virtue of their age but they still gotta fill out the forms and get registered. It costs them nothing.

It sounds just like US MediCare. At 65 we all qualify for it but you got to apply for it.
batman2525

Strange.....as I pursue this situation with my G/F I notice an air of empathy....she seems to accept that she was ripped off...not only did she pay 95,000 pesos,she doesn't seem to care that "Uncle Fred" ripped her for a possible 19,000 pesos....I know for a fact that the whole family has conjured up sob stories to get her to pay for trivial things....even her Momma has lied to her to get something for the old man(dad).....oh well,you can lead a horse to water.....

• 3 weeks later...
hyaku

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/81981-philhealth-update/

If you need to be admitted there are specific Philhealth rooms. You need to stay on a gurney until you get one. Other wise you will pay full price. For example a shared ward for two patients at Eastern Visayas is around P600. Philhealth covered P500. 

• Like 1