A hot shower for 5 centavos

Yellowfever

Yellowfever

I had the dreaded lack of water pressure causing the inline hot water heater to not work last night. I noticed that if I put my hand over the shower head and pressed hard, it cause enough back pressure for the power to come on. Removed the hose from the shower head, Inserted 5 centavos, BAM. Hot water. Problematic showers might benefit from a 10 centavo repair - one in each end of the hose. Note that 5 centavos comes with a hole in the middle.

post-16646-0-10486400-1427083078_thumb.jpg

In the same vein, I think that if you were installing an in line heater in your own house you might do better to put the flow control valve on the outlet side. Or if you have varying hater flow/pressure in your area then one each side. Turn down the flow on inlet side of you have too much water pressure and getting cold water, turn down outlet side if not enough water pressure to get the thing activated.

Edited by Yellowfever
  • Like 8

You are a clever man!

Having fitted over a dozen of these units recently,post-13865-0-33472100-1427084733_thumb.jpg they all come with a little rubber washer reducer which exactly mimics your 5 centavo. Seems like standard industry practice!!

post-13865-0-98561900-1427084748_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Skywalker

Finally a use for those little pesky coins.

• Like 3
Yellowfever

I always give them as tips to people who are pushing too hard for a tip but haven't actually done anything to earn it, together with the sage advice "without 5 centavos, one peso cannot exist"

Skywalker

"without 5 centavos, one peso cannot exist"

You should borrow Davaoeno's copy of 'How to win friends, and influence people'.   :horray:

• Like 1
smokey

You should borrow Davaoeno's copy of 'How to win friends, and influence people'.   :horray:

am i the only one to notice davao has been hard to spot latley?? I used to use a punching bag when things got stressed then i discovered a gay ,, half korean lawyer from canada and did not need the bag anymore where is he at the Silcone expo in europe

• Like 4
A_Simple_Man

I been saying this for years:

Dec 2012 . . .  I made a solid plastic washer to fit between the shower head and the supply hose. Then I put a small hole in it. I have hot water and a little bit more pressure but a very small stream of water. It was worth it to me to get the hot water. 

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/54702-water-pressure/?p=585145

and

Feb 2014 . . . there is a quick fix to reduce the flow, increase the pressure and thus get hotter water. . .

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/69026-hot-water-problems-fix-the-old-instant-heater-or-install-a-tank/?p=781284

But there are those who keep telling me it does not work

Lopburi in Feb 2014 . . . this is not going to help

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/69026-hot-water-problems-fix-the-old-instant-heater-or-install-a-tank/?p=781285

So its good to see another believer.

Woolf

I always thought that he heater element switch worked on measuring flow

but apparently it need a little back pressure to activate  

hmmmm well ok

Enuff

you should by my eBook, HOW TO GET RICH, SLOW! by BigMook

• Like 2
oscarpears

am i the only one to notice davao has been hard to spot latley??

Yes, i have noticed his absence too. I hope that he is okay? Does anyone know how he is ? 

Regarding the shower, the electric models need to be installed by an expert. There are many accidents in showers where people are burnt to death by electricity while using the shower.
Last Month in Iloilo City, the shower in the hotel had as much water coming out of the electric shower box as it had from the shower hose.

The response of the hotel management made me despair of the Philippines, it was as if i was complaining of something trivial, and not a potential death trap for one of their guests.

When in doubt call Yellowfever or Tinbum  :) 

• Like 1
Sonny

am i the only one to notice davao has been hard to spot latley?? I used to use a punching bag when things got stressed then i discovered a gay ,, half korean lawyer from canada and did not need the bag anymore where is he at the Silcone expo in europe

I suspect 'Pasquinade' is busy gathering new material with which he will undoubtably torment us.  :biggrin_01:

goldeagle

what the friggin' hell is this. Just buy a 299 peso hot water cable from an Ace Hardware store.

at one time I did not think Filipinas liked hot showers then I realised they did not like the faucet-type delivery of the water upon the bodies but when it is tap-and-bucket, they like hot showers. Although they couldn't give a shit ultimately whether a bath is hot or cold.

Woolf

what the friggin' hell is this. Just buy a 299 peso hot water cable from an Ace Hardware store.

at one time I did not think Filipinas liked hot showers then I realised they did not like the faucet-type delivery of the water upon the bodies but when it is tap-and-bucket, they like hot showers. Although they couldn't give a shit ultimately whether a bath is hot or cold.

That type of water heather is very VERY dangerous

there are 2 exposed metal plates inside

one  plate to one wire the other plate to the other wire, the plates are in direct contact with the water

I am pretty sure if someone sold something like that in UK, he would be in prison very soon

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
goldeagle

I am pretty sure if someone sold something like that in UK, he would be in prison very soon

I do not really disagree with this. I have had a few fire/electric shock scares over the years with these freely-for-sale items myself, one time I had a girlfriend who said watch those the mayor of my small town in Bicol was electrocuted using one of those. But she used it all the same. But jeez, when I read this drivel about kanos spending 50,000 or more on some solar heated shower system where the shower is totally shit, lukewarm water and crap pressure and thinking they are really smart, when Filipinas do not even like overhead showers like westerners are used to, that and spending 2000 on a hotel room is not the only way to take a hot shower in the Philippines. Besides, hot water showers are irelevant anyway, Filipinas could not give a rat's ass about them because they are stupid. They don't give a rat's ass about them because they know they are not necessary.