Safe or not safe places ......or paranoia or common sense

Chance555

Have visieted Cebu a few times now ....and have also followed this forum most days ...as well as following the cebu news daily

...have been lucky enough to have travelled and stayed in a good few places in cebu ...from Boljoon to oslob to Danao, Carmen, Moalboal, Mandaue City as well as up in the mountains in Boljoon and also In the mountains of Ibo Danao......but never have done the bar scene and to be honest it's not my cuppa.

At all times I have felt safe and never uneasy.... I read on here and also in the news of expats being murdered beaten robbed scammed and the like ....... Many expats seem to live in gated communities Or condos for it appears better security and piece of mind ......but even folk who chose that way still have to leave the cocoon and venture out and about .......

Whilst common sense provails in things like not being out late and keeping a low profile , whilst still being sociable to one and all.

But from what I have gathered most violence seems to come either after dark or unsociable hours,.Being mouthy to the wrong person, gambling, drinking, flashing the cash or being involved with drugs . On the rare occasion also being in the wrong place at the wrong time ...

Yet I see on utube many expats walking about doing videos for utube in all places and at all times of day and night but coming to no harm ....

Many here say it's not safe to live in the city many here also say it's not safe to live inland where there are less people ( mountains )

It all becomes very confusing to know what is right or wrong ..

One thing for sure epats are still here ......so either they are playing Russian roulette with life or thing are bigger issues to some more than others ......

Would be interesting to here others opinions and also proper evidence of it being unsafe whether living in the city's or in the mountains , if one stays within the daylight unwritten curfew and keeps a low profile and his own council ...

l its not a moan or a gripe at anyone ...just interested in others personal experiences in all the above with evidence and not just hearsay

• Like 4
to_dave007

I live in rural Cebu province..  no issues at all..  Doesn't take long before people know you..  and if you are living a clean life and don't piss on people you'll have no problems.

Also.. I agree with oscarpears..  not a good place to be if you have anger and booze problems.

Also not a good place to be if you aren't a self starter by nature.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 6
tomaw

Common-sense and patience are in my view important qualities. The Philippines is not a good place to retire to if you have issues with anger and alcohol. :)

Wouldn't a person with those kind of issues have problems with people pretty much anywhere?
  • Like 8
mpt1947

I have been here nearly 5 years.  We have a nice home, in Alaska-Mambaling that has a reputation for being someplace to avoid after dark - some times at high noon.   The closest I have come to a confrontation happened a couple of weeks ago at Ayala.  My wife and I were in one of those Taxi queues when this guy comes up and starts edging his way a head of me - both my wife and I confronted him, but he kind of ignored us.  When a cab came up he and another guy who was legitimately ahead of us jumped into the cab together - Turns out he was pulling our chains.  And life goes on. 

• Like 1
smokey

Have visieted Cebu a few times now ....and have also followed this forum most days ...as well as following the cebu news daily

...have been lucky enough to have travelled and stayed in a good few places in cebu ...from Boljoon to oslob to Danao, Carmen, Moalboal, Mandaue City as well as up in the mountains in Boljoon and also In the mountains of Ibo Danao......but never have done the bar scene and to be honest it's not my cuppa.

At all times I have felt safe and never uneasy.... I read on here and also in the news of expats being murdered beaten robbed scammed and the like ....... Many expats seem to live in gated communities Or condos for it appears better security and piece of mind ......but even folk who chose that way still have to leave the cocoon and venture out and about .......

Whilst common sense provails in things like not being out late and keeping a low profile , whilst still being sociable to one and all.

But from what I have gathered most violence seems to come either after dark or unsociable hours,.Being mouthy to the wrong person, gambling, drinking, flashing the cash or being involved with drugs . On the rare occasion also being in the wrong place at the wrong time ...

Yet I see on utube many expats walking about doing videos for utube in all places and at all times of day and night but coming to no harm ....

Many here say it's not safe to live in the city many here also say it's not safe to live inland where there are less people ( mountains )

It all becomes very confusing to know what is right or wrong ..

One thing for sure epats are still here ......so either they are playing Russian roulette with life or thing are bigger issues to some more than others ......

Would be interesting to here others opinions and also proper evidence of it being unsafe whether living in the city's or in the mountains , if one stays within the daylight unwritten curfew and keeps a low profile and his own council ...

l its not a moan or a gripe at anyone ...just interested in others personal experiences in all the above with evidence and not just hearsay

just make believe your living in any low rent area in the west your place is fine but outside there are many hungry people and your nice and plump

• Like 2
cvgtpc1

But from what I have gathered most violence seems to come either after dark or unsociable hours,.Being mouthy to the wrong person, gambling, drinking, flashing the cash or being involved with drugs . 

You said it all there.  Avoid that and you'll avoid 98% of problems anywhere I suspect.

• Like 2
InternetTough

About 80 days after I moved into my house in Talisay a man was murdered in the street almost in front of the house. I hit the floor and waited for the shooting to stop. This affected my perception of the place. I was glad that I had locked the front gate because later I found out that he had been trying all the gates to find a place to escape to. His murderers were hot on his heels and might have followed him in if I hadn't locked it already. I found out that he bet heavily on fighting cocks and would collect when he won and would run for his life if he lost.

Another time, I am certain that I would have been attacked at noon in Tabunok except for the chance appearance of an NBI jeep. The next week I read about the arrest of a pair that had been mugging people in Tabunok the last while.

I lived in Seoul for more than a decade, and it was as safe as Calgary, Alberta. 

I lived in San Bernardino, California in the early 1990s----murder rate 47/100,000 per year---probably 100/100,000 where I was living during the crack epidemic.  The common practices I had there apply here, too.

In Seoul or Calgary I might not be able to find trouble if I looked for it. Here, and in San Bernardino 22 years ago, no problem.

Chris24

Wouldn't a person with those kind of issues have problems with people pretty much anywhere?

Yep.

AussieLex

I live in Biasong, Talisay in a local rustic kinda resort, lots of filipinos, I travel around on my motor bike and take tricycles mostly. Go out every couple of days and venture all over the place. Mind you I am laid back, easy going and patient. Take each day or encounter with a smile and a grain of salt, don't stay out too late. I visit Tanke, a slum area regularly visiting my future in laws and it seems lots of locals have gotten to know me a little. I keep a low and friendly profile, deal fairly with people and kinda like to think I am respected just a little as well. I have never felt unsafe.

• Like 1
bargeman

The Philippines is not a good place to retire to if you have issues with anger and alcohol.  

Plenty of both in the PI. :cool:

Headshot

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you.  :cool:

• Like 1
Chance555

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you. :cool:

Are you still wearing reversing mirrors each side of your baseball cap so as to watch your back also ......and for good measure a flat jacket

Edited by Chance555
Headshot

Are you still wearing reversing mirrors each side of your baseball cap so as to watch your back also ......and for good measure a flat jacket

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't remember where I read that. I just remembered it because I thought it was cute.

PS...I just looked it up. It's from the book, Catch-22 (one of my favorites from high school).

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/98153-just-because-you-re-paranoid-doesn-t-mean-they-aren-t-after-you

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1