HIV 'epidemic' in Philippines. UN

contraman

I was too young to recall the first famous incidents of the disease - Freddy Mercury comes to mind, though.

Yes it was way long ago

Rock Hudson was before Freddy Mercury if I recall.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• Paul

• poby

• youngwillie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last few years working, was with a medical goods manufacturers, and we worked closely with UNFPA, UNAIDS, and various other agencies, European, US, and International.   Thus I got to see the orig

It is tricky to know how to start with this pile of ignorance, especially as you're insistent on reinforcing the old saw that HIV is a 'Gay plague' and that you cite "Liberated Christians in 1994" as

Considering the facts about 'epidemics' like this I always wonder what is actually behind these sort of announcements.    Do we (the news consuming idiot-machine that is the general public) like to

Posted Images

KennyF

Anthony Perkins :

Perkins was reported to have been bisexual, and had a close relationship with actors Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter

KonC

• Like 1
Paul

Rock Hudson was before Freddy Mercury if I recall.

That's right. I forgot about the Rock Hudson jokes that started when I was still in school. 

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

Pretty sure that's not how statistics work. 

It could be .... 1200 people having sex once, you know, and one of them gets infected.

I understand but my comment was more skepticism on my part over the odds of catching it.  One guy gave it to 30+ women, leads me to believe it's easier to get HIV than the stats present.

cvgtpc1

Was at Clark in the 80s, maybe 86 was when they pulled us all into the base theater and announced the first cases of aids found in bar girls on Fields.  Wouldn't say what bars they were in, theater went wild from guys wanting to know.

Cipro

I understand but my comment was more skepticism on my part over the odds of catching it.  One guy gave it to 30+ women, leads me to believe it's easier to get HIV than the stats present.

Well I dunno which guy, but one famous one was a dentist who was mixing his infected blood with the Novocaine. 

burnttoast

Watching TV Patrol right now they say 12 inmates in the Cebu jail tested positive for HIV.

CardiacKid

Was at Clark in the 80s, maybe 86 was when they pulled us all into the base theater and announced the first cases of aids found in bar girls on Fields.  Wouldn't say what bars they were in, theater went wild from guys wanting to know.

Same thing at Subic. They told us the local health people knew who they were. Was also told they wanted to keep them in Subic rather than returning to the province. 

Sex education pushed to combat HIV surge

AMID the continued surge in the number of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) cases in the country, advocates are renewing calls for the adoption of appropriate sex education in schools.

In a recent media forum, people living with HIV (PLHIV) advocate Wanggo Gallaga said there is an immediate need for schools to include sex education modules in order to encourage those with risky sexual behaviors to practice safe sex.

"What we have to do is to educate people properly. It has to start earlier. When it comes to health, education is very shallow. Biology lang ang tinuturo sa schools e. We don’t talk about consequences of sex," said Gallaga.

Advertisement

Doing so, he said, will allow individuals to learn by themselves on how to practice safe sex and, therefore, avoid acquiring HIV.

"People still don't want to do it (safe sex). We can't force them. We are still a free country. So we have to educate them and make them want to practice it," said Gallaga.

It can be recalled that the United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) has already pointed at the low condom use in the country as one of the main reasons for the "fast and furious" rise in HIV cases.

UNAIDS data showed that less than 40 percent of men-having-sex-with men (MSMs) use condoms while only 65 percent of sex workers (SWs) practice safe sex.

Both are lower than the target 80 percent condom use among most-at-risk population.

Gallaga said sexuality education is mandatory not only because of the Reproductive Health (RH) Law but also due to the fact that many parents are not open to such conversations with their children.

"Some parents do not want to discuss this with their children. They don't get the necessary information for themselves, not just on HIV/AIDS, but also other sexually-transmitted illnesses (STIs)," said the son of multi-awarded filmmaker Peque Gallaga.

"There are those that are making it a morality issue, but it is a health issue," added Gallaga.

The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) is one of the organizations that are strongly against sex education.

In a related development, the Department of Health (DOH) disclosed that 91 individuals had recently acquired HIV after engaging in transactional sex.

Based on the January 2015 Philippine HIV and AIDS Registry report, there were 50 (55 percent) cases where the individual paid for sex; 33 (36 percent) among those who accepted payment for sex; and eight (9 percent) among those that engaged in both.

Eighty-three (91 percent) of the 91 cases involved males while the remaining eight were females.

Since October 2012 when the DOH began the official evaluation of people engaged in transactional sex, there have already been 1,701 recorded cases of HIV.

Of this number, a total of 940 (55 percent) acquired HIV after paying for sex; 505 (30 percent) after accepting payment for sex; while 256 (15 percent) are engaged in both.

A total of 1,617 or 95 percent of the aggregate total of HIV cases among people who engage in transactional sex were found to be males, while the remaining 84 were females. (Sunnex)

Cipro

So for those bad at math, 19 out of 20 who 'engage in transactional sex' are male, but about half those who 'engage in transactional sex' and listed that as the way they got infected were men. There is no breakdown as to what percent of the 'transactional sex' was gay anal sex, but I'd bet it's more than zero by a lot.  

tl,dr; Make sure not to get any dicks in your butthole. 

• Like 1

The reason why there are a lot of women HIV+ in Africa (particularly South Africa) is due to a truly sick reasoning that HIV+ men think that having sex with young virgins is supposed to "cure " them of the disease.... Most these girls end up being positive for the virus.