HIV 'epidemic' in Philippines. UN

smokey

History tells us that most cases are homosexual or drug related.

How much risk is there for "normal" people?

KonC

Well I guess if you don't call single guys who rent to own  normal

Edited by smokey
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• Paul

• poby

• youngwillie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last few years working, was with a medical goods manufacturers, and we worked closely with UNFPA, UNAIDS, and various other agencies, European, US, and International.   Thus I got to see the orig

It is tricky to know how to start with this pile of ignorance, especially as you're insistent on reinforcing the old saw that HIV is a 'Gay plague' and that you cite "Liberated Christians in 1994" as

Considering the facts about 'epidemics' like this I always wonder what is actually behind these sort of announcements.    Do we (the news consuming idiot-machine that is the general public) like to

Posted Images

Cipro

That's actually pretty easy to answer, if one isn't paranoid. Governments pay organisations to reduce health risks among their population. These organisations then publicise the number of people being infected with diseases so people take precautions.

I am a little paranoid. 

cebulover2000

The same "news" was  posted in the media here 3 or 4 years ago. They just repeated it and changed the years.

Skywalker

Not just for family planning.

post-12091-0-82351300-1426817318_thumb.jpg

Scotsbloke

HIV is a scary serious risk.  But only if you like it up the bum or inject drugs from dirty needles.  But such is a very inconvenient truth for the PC elite.  By making it about everybody, it gets a lot more sympathy and support.  But facts are facts.  HIV requires access to the bloodstream.  The colon is extremely good at passing the virus into the blood stream.  But a healthy vagina, much less so.  And if you cock isn't all cut up and damaged then it's almost impossible to get it, especially from a vagina that also isn't cut up.

It is tricky to know how to start with this pile of ignorance, especially as you're insistent on reinforcing the old saw that HIV is a 'Gay plague' and that you cite "Liberated Christians in 1994" as evidence.

Yup, 'taking it up the bum' is more likely to lead to getting HIV than through the 'front bottom':

"Sexual exposure risks ranged from too low to quantify for oral sex, to 138 per 10,000 for receptive anal sex. Falling in between were insertive anal sex (11 per 10,000), receptive vaginal sex (8 per 10,000), and insertive vaginal sex (4 per 10,000)."

The article is here:  http://betablog.org/studies-shed-light-on-hiv-risk-and-prevention/

The take away from this?  A woman who receives goods from the tradesman's entrance is 1. more likely to get HIV and 2. is perfectly capable of transmitting HIV through vaginal sex.

You also ignore that in sub-Saharan Africa more women than men have HIV as evidenced here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2443629/

The shocker in that article is that about 15% of young black women in SA have HIV.  IE about one girl in 6 has the infection. What makes it even more worrying, in a Philippines context, is the list of reasons that the author states for such a wide occurrence:

"The high HIV prevalence in this country is a result of a number of factors which include the following: poverty, violence against women, cultural limitations that promote intergenerational sex, non-condom use and preference for “dry sex,” political factors and challenges that possibly prevented an aggressive response against HIV."

Without doubt Pinas has many similar risk-factors:

• Poverty?  Check
  • Violence against women? Check
  • Cultural limitations that promote intergenerational sex? Check
  • Non-condom use and preference for “dry sex? Check
  • Political factors and challenges that possibly prevented an aggressive response against HIV? Check.

I take issue with you running about the board telling all and sundry that HIV is only for fags and druggies.  Clearly it isn't.  I also think you're doing a huge disservice to young Filipinas who are probably at greatest risk as paralleled by their sisters in southern Africa.  What you're doing is perpetuating ignorance.

Am I grumpy here?  Absolutely.  We need education and challenges to culture, not some ignorant agenda-bound propaganda from two decades ago.

Edited by Scotsbloke
  • Like 3
Alan S

My last few years working, was with a medical goods manufacturers, and we worked closely with UNFPA, UNAIDS, and various other agencies, European, US, and International.

Thus I got to see the original data on Aids and other STD's, for the Philippines and other countries.

1. There has long been a problem with AIDS reprting in the Philippines and the numbers stated are less than the actual incidence.

2. This thread contains so many mis-statements, that anyone wanting to know the actual situation, should research it for themselves.

• Like 5

"Sexual exposure risks ranged from too low to quantify for oral sex, to 138 per 10,000 for receptive anal sex. Falling in between were insertive anal sex (11 per 10,000), receptive vaginal sex (8 per 10,000), and insertive vaginal sex (4 per 10,000)."   The article is here:  http://betablog.org/...and-prevention/

Um... you do realize your quote supports my position?   A woman would on average, need to have sex 1200 times with a hiv positive partner before she got infected.  A man would need to have sex 2500 times with a hiv positive woman to get infected.  So the odds of a man catching hiv by having a single episode of vaginal sex with a hiv positive female partner is 0.04%  A single episode with a complete stranger whereby their hiv status is unknown would be less than 0.001% or less than 1 in 100,000 chance.

This article you link to admirably reinforces my argument that hiv is predominantly a gay and drug user disease and of very small risk to heteros.

I take issue with you running about the board trying to alarm all and sundry when the proven factual reality is that the risk to non drug using heteros borders on inconsequential.  Your own link supports that position!  What you're doing is perpetuating the myth that there is any real significant danger when there is no evidence to support this claim.  Lots of speculation by vested interests but no actual evidence of anything approaching an epidemic despite so called at risk behaviors being commonplace for decades.  If hetero transmission was anything like as easy as is claimed then most of us would already be infected.

Most people don't need to worry about hiv.  Other STI's are much more likely and that might be a good reason to be careful.  But certainly not HIV which is extremely unlikely to catch in hetero sex.  1 in 2500 for a man and even that is only if his partner has hiv.

smokey

this could apply to all the information we know on HIV  SEE 32

post-35-0-43166000-1426910414_thumb.jpg

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
Skywalker

A man would need to have sex 2500 times with a hiv positive woman to get infected.

If you say it enough times............

It still won't be true.

It's this kind of propaganda that gets uninformed people infected.  The continued insistence on referring to HIV as the gay plague is frankly out of date.  Propagating out of date beliefs....................................dangerous in the extreme, and tiresome.

Of course some people will take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to bash gay people.

Cipro

I take issue with you running about the board trying to alarm all and sundry when the proven factual reality is that the risk to non drug using heteros borders on inconsequential.

Particularly men, but it's pretty low for women too.

We have an instinctive dread of invisible death which is probably a useful survival thing in pre-technological times but for us now it's something to be aware of, because unscrupulous people will try to leverage that instinct. 

Any chance is higher than ideal but let's face it the odds never get to be zero either. 

If you say it enough times............

It still won't be true.

Statistically it's actually pretty accurate. 

• Like 1
Skywalker

Statistically it's actually pretty accurate. 

Any man who uses statistics to protect himself from HIV, STD's, unwanted pregnancies etc........................isn't the kind of person to take advice from anyone.   :rose:

• Like 1

Of course some people will take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to bash gay people.

I've got nothing against gay people at all!!

Im just stating the simple facts that gays and intravenous drug users are the prime recipients of hiv infection and that the likelyhood of a totally hetero non drug using guy getting it is tiny.  This is statistically proven.  This does not in any way constitute gay bashing!

Any man who uses statistics to protect himself from HIV, STD's, unwanted pregnancies etc........................isn't the kind of person to take advice from anyone.   :rose:

There is a chance that your cock could spontaneously combust during coitus.  It's a very very small chance but it could happen!  You might feel safer joining a monastery, but there are risks there too....

The main things to be concerned about are STDs and pregnancies.  For a hetero guy HIV is too unlikely to worry about.

smokey

There is a chance that your cock could spontaneously combust during coitus.  

and yet there is also another chance your cock could go out and buy a winning lottery ticket

• Like 3
For Real

and yet there is also another chance your cock could go out and buy a winning lottery ticket

I would take a lot of effort but I am sure I could train him.