Sign in to follow this  
mistaeric

Is 200k enough the Retire in the Philippines?

Paul

If I had waited until I had $200,000 USD, I would have NEVER made it to the Philippines. 

• Like 7

sugbu777

For me it would me.

the.lone.gunman

Are you going to spend it or live off the dividends / interest ?  How old are you ?

Mandingo

I think it depends on a lot of things but the most important things are your age, much other income you have coming in and the type of lifestyle you live.

Edited by Mandingo

Paul

A relationship based on sex is like thinking you can live in the Philippines on a 'basic math' equation.

Thanks. You just burst my bubble. 

• Like 2

Paul

Are you going to spend it or live off the dividends / interest ?  How old are you ?

In today's economy, you could not possibly live off the dividends / interest that $200,000 USD would earn. I know someone who lives comfortably off the earnings from $500,000 USD. But, that is about as low as you would want to go, concerning living on interest. This is solely my opinion, of course. 

AussieLex

I live comfortably on $1400 AU a month in Talisay City, Cebu

• Like 2

Paul

I live comfortably on $1400 AU a month in Talisay City, Cebu

Do you own or rent, if I may ask? That's impressive, and I agree, certainly doable.

AussieLex

I have done a deal with the owners of Coco Maldita Beach Resort here in Biasong... 10k a month rent, free water and electric works out at about 2k a month, very comfortable here with use of all facilities. I have a motorbike to get around and my fiancee and one younger cousin lives with me.   Oh am getting married on the 11th of April.

• Like 7

Dublin boy

How long is a piece of string and what is the life style you expect. If you want to eat imported food it will cost you more. Money can go fast if you let it so please budget as sometimes you can get carried away as think the peso is cheap but when you sit down and work it back to dollars you may have a shock. Your question is very hard to answer it's something you will have to decide for yourself.

smokey

I think after you secure the basics house,, car or bike ,, furniture,,, etc you can live on 1,200 us tight or 1,500 much better  I personally spend about 2,000 us a month but there is always extras popping up like yesterday I have water coming from a ceiling .. seems the drain in the floor above is broke so now I have the ceiling half ripped out and pipe replaced and clean up and repair is being done but it was 15,000 p I did not count on spending to finish this job.... Last month my gate stopped working it needed a new motor 18,000 peso that kind of stuff messes up any budget

• Like 8

the.lone.gunman

In today's economy, you could not possibly live off the dividends / interest that $200,000 USD would earn. I know someone who lives comfortably off the earnings from $500,000 USD. But, that is about as low as you would want to go, concerning living on interest. This is solely my opinion, of course. 

I agree. 200,000k at 5% is only 833.00 per month.......if you can find a safe 5% after taxes.

darrener

Australian super funds have typically returned an average of between 6% and 8% over the last ten to fifteen years, including through the G.F.C. , if this is taken into account I think a single person could live comfortably for quite a bit longer than the periods quoted in the article, depending on your definition of "comfortable" of course......