New money changing scam at manilla airport

Yellowfever

So I had a little time to kill while waiting at naia3 and walked around comparing the rate for the aud. doubt one that was only 0.4 peso off the official rate and figured that's as good as anything I was going to get in Cebu.

Counted out my au$ in front of the changer and watched carefully as he recounted and confirmed. Received my money, quick flick through to make sure no substitute value notes and no folded money, then counted them carefully and the total didn't match the rate. Leaving the money on the counter I said to the guy "what's going on?" He said "count it again". So I count it again and get the same total as first time. I say "this isn't right". The guy says "I'm sure it's correct sir". So I count it a third time. Look at him, but he's showing no signs of budging or even being remotely interested i counting it himself.

With the big queue and seeing I wasn't going to get anywhere I take my money and shuffle off, had a burger, then while in the cr recounted it one last time. Double checked the number on the receipt. Yep, no doubt about it. He gave me p1,000 more than he should have, on an aud1,000 exchange. Sometimes it ain't so bad getting scammed ;-) I havent yet figured out the angle on this one though, do I get arrested for theft on landing at Cebu?

• Like 7
A_Simple_Man

Perhaps you got the bonus for 'unfolded' bills

• Like 2
JollyJim

On my first trip I went to the big mall on Bohol, there was a money changer downstairs and I cashed a couple $100s. She figured the exchange rate and handed me the slip showing the amount, I said ok and she counted it out. I counted it out and it was 200p short. I pointed this out, she counts it and says its oh no, its correct, I count it say its short, she counts it and says something like "oh my, its 200p short" and adds it in.  I felt like a BOSS that I was able to catch that one.

• Like 1
goldeagle

They hardly ever have any change but when they do, they get it wrong.

spydoo

... He gave me p1,000 more than he should have, on an aud1,000 exchange. Sometimes it ain't so bad getting scammed ;-) I havent yet figured out the angle on this one though, do I get arrested for theft on landing at Cebu?

I'm guessing he gets paid around ₱8,000/month but no more than 10K/m. If they deduct that from his pay which I think likely, it will cost him at least 10% of his pay for the month. I guess his children won't get those new shoes. In fact, they might have to skip a few meals. 

I couldn't do that. I certainly couldn't do it and boast about it, just personally.

• Like 8
goldeagle

True they will deduct it from his wages if the shortfall is discovered.

Bill H

Yup that is the norm here.  Just be aware of that if the clerk gives you the wrong change.  If they are over though, they don't get to keep the overage.  Life can be hard in the PH.

Yellowfever

Gave the guy 3 chances, and was more than willing to give it back. His shitty attitude cost him the money. He might think twice next time someone asks him to re-count. I'm sure he's more than made up for that shortfall in short changing scams over time anyhow.

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

only 0.4 peso off the official rate

There's no such thing as an 'official rate' in FOREX. 

Skywalker

I'm guessing he gets paid around ₱8,000/month but no more than ₱10K/m. If they deduct that from his pay which I think likely, it will cost him at least 10% of his pay for the month. I guess his children won't get those new shoes. In fact, they might have to skip a few meals. 

There's another train of thought that would say a guy earning that little shouldn't be having children.  But you are correct, they do have to make up any shortfall themselves.

Years ago, I was overchanged in a Bangkok supermarket (Tops IIRC) by 100 baht.  I didn't realise until I was outside the store.  I double checked the change, and then went back in, because for a checkout girl, 100 baht is probably half a days salary.

• Like 7
spydoo

Gave the guy 3 chances, and was more than willing to give it back. His shitty attitude cost him the money. He might think twice next time someone asks him to re-count. I'm sure he's more than made up for that shortfall in short changing scams over time anyhow.

When you asked him, "what's going on?", you clearly gave him the impression you thought you had been shortchanged. He was (correctly) confident that wasn't the case, so I don't see any bad attitude from him. It was simply a scam perpetuated on a man much poorer than you. You didn't give him three chances, you gave him no chance

... Years ago, I was overchanged in a Bangkok supermarket (Tops IIRC) by 100 baht.  I didn't realise until I was outside the store.  I double checked the change, and then went back in, because for a checkout girl, 100 baht is probably half a days salary.

Nice one. Honesty and mercy for the poor are truly great qualities for a person to have. God bless.

₱1000 is even more, around half a week's wages for that guy.

Edited by spydoo
  • Like 2
miles-high

Considering the disparity in income/wages/wealth, I would feel compelled to even ask his supervisor to return the PHP1K – shame on you...

• Like 1
goldeagle

once I went into some convenience store to buy some phone load for a friend who was in a different town. The girl there just ASSUMED that as a foreigner I would want to buy 100 pas-a-load as maybe 90% of foreigners do. And so she didn't listen when I said I only wanted 30. Had it been load for my phone I would not have been bothered at all, however because it was for someone else, I refused to pay. Had a big scene at the store and I stormed off.

it was not long before I realised that this was a mistake and next day I returned and made the appropriate restitution. What I suspected was true and yes they would have docked it out of the girl's wages.

• Like 1
Woolf

I would have turned 180 degrees, taken 2 steps forward, then turned 180 degrees, to step forward, smiled at the man and handed him the 1000 peso

• Like 1
CardiacKid

I was occasionally given too much change many times. I always insisted they recount and get it right. I really would not feel right knowing I had failed to rectify the error. Many times I got a heartfelt Thank You. 100-200 pesos does not mean that much to me, but it certainly does to the cashier who is only making 300 pesos a day before deductions.