Sign in to follow this  
rainymike

Getting my SS restarted after having it cutoff - my experience

rainymike

Noticed in February, my deposit wasn't made. Scratched my head and laid out my plans.

Plan A: Email SSA Manila to explain the problem. No response although they usually responded in the past. Maybe more busy now, or fewer staff. Don't know, but no response.

Plan B: Call SSA in the US direct. Got voice mail. Left my number but no return call.

Plan C: Filled out the required form and express mailed via Philpost to SSA in the states. Plan C worked. Deposits and back deposits were restored within a couple weeks of sending out the mail.

Plan D: Fly to Manila and deal with SSA in person. Wasn't necessary.

Not saying this is the best way, but given how things work, on this day this worked for me. No telling what the best plan is for tomorrow or for someone else.

Will send the form every year from now on instead of waiting for a request from them. Postal service was the weak link - not SSA in my opinion. Regular mail just hasn't worked for me at all at my current address.

• Like 6

Salty Dog

Regular mail just hasn't worked for me at all at my current address.

Tell me about it.

I lived in a Condo in the Cebu I.T. Park and never got my mail there in the 18 months I lived there. If I knew some mail was sent, I went to the post office to get it.

I think because there were boxes in the lobby, there wasn't a chance for the mail-carrier to get his bribe tip for delivering mail.

throttleplate

i live in a hotel and get mail but only local mail from bank. I went to the post office to inquire about a PO box and the woman i talked to was also the woman whom puts your mail into your box.I told her if i do get a po box that if i am expecting something important that if she makes a good effort to make sure i get it i would give her a nice tip,she was ok with that

battleborn

When mine stopped in Feb. I downloaded the form from this site and faxed  to Manila.   Followed up with with an e-mail a few days later.  Worked for me.

• Like 1

RogerDat

Greetings! This is a one time requirement from what I was told.

If you move, then send the form.

Headshot

Greetings! This is a one time requirement from what I was told.

If you move, then send the form.

Naw...SSA stops checks randomly to see if benefit recipients are still alive. They also send out notices that you have to complete a form, and in the Philippines, it often never gets to the recipient. That, of course, leads to a cutoff of benefits.

• Like 1

Paul
Naw...SSA stops checks randomly to see if benefit recipients are still alive.

I don't believe the Social Security Administration would randomly just stop payments of monies to recipients to check and see if they are still alive. 

They would stop the payments if the recipient does not return the form mailed to them, though.

==========================================================================================

User Tonny is an excellent resource for information about Social Security Administration, for American Citizens. There isn't much he does not know about the system. 

Edited by Paul

throttleplate

did anyone see the last 60 minutes episode where the lady was cashing her dead moms SS checks and the SS administration caught her and now she is facing a trial where she could be jailed. While being interviewed at her home she said she has never committed a crime in her life and is an honest person and doesn't deserve what is happening to her. Frickin cheatin scum bitc-

Paul

While being interviewed at her home she said she has never committed a crime in her life and is an honest person and doesn't deserve what is happening to her. Frickin cheatin scum bitc-

I would love to hear her reasoning behind that. 

Headshot

I don't believe the Social Security Administration would randomly just stop payments of monies to recipients to check and see if they are still alive. 

They would stop the payments if the recipient does not return the form mailed to them, though.

Well, here in the Philippines, where the mail seldom gets through in a timely manner (or at all), it may just seem random. This is not the first time I have heard guys say you should get the form online and send it in to SSA...even if you aren't sure one was sent to you.

tonny

Yes they stop it for many reasons , If they get mail back they sent to you sometimes they gut it off after a few PC's back then some times they check with your bank if you have direct deposit  to see if  they have the right address and if they find out you not give them your current new address  they will turn it off  and some times hit you with a penalty for not keeping them informed .First  time up to six months no money ,second offense much more and on and on it the law .Congress passed it some information from SS site

When you plan to move, tell us your new address and
phone number as soon as you know them. Also please
let us know the names of any family members who are
getting benefits
ts and are moving with you. Even if you
receive your benefits
ts by direct deposit, we must have your
correct address so we can send letters and other important
information to you. Your benefits
ts will be stopped if we are
unable to contact you. You can change your address at our
website,
www. socialsecurity. gov/changeaddress.html
Be sure you also
file  a change of address with your
post office

Information you give to another government agency
may be provided to Social Security by the other agency,
but you also must report the change directly to us.
NOTE:
If we find out
 that you gave us false information
on purpose, your benefits
 will be stopped. For the first

violation, your benefits
 will be stopped for six months;
for the second violation, 12 months; and for the third, 24
months. Also, if you do not report a change, it may result
in your being paid too much. If you are overpaid, you
will have to repay the money.
Have your claim number handy when you report a
change.

Edited by tonny

rainymike

Just to be fair, Philpost express mail leaving the country worked well for me. It's delivery where I've had problems off and on through the years.

I'm just gonna play it safe. Will send a form in for myself and a different one for my daughter every year just to play it on the safe side.