Sign in to follow this  
KennyF

Philhealth for expats.

fred42

I have been told that the amount a hospital will charge for the various items on their bill will vary depending on the level of accommodation the patient has.  A patient in a ward will be charged less than one in a private room.  Of course Philhealth will also pay a smaller percentage of a private room than they will a ward.

I think thats what they told us.. 26 K bill in private room,Phil heath paid 6K.

Mind you..The largest part of the bill was Doctors and consultants..

It would be interesting to know exactly how it all works Private v public.

• Like 1

ex231

We are not in the UK.

Her Phil Health is in her maiden name and that's what she used. The other private rooms had Filipinos in them. They aren't reserved for foreigners. Several months ago when she began having trouble with her tonsils she asked the Dr how much for a tonsillectomy and his guesstimate wasn't far off.

Why don't you go renegotiate for me and I'll split the refund 50/50 with you?

• Like 1

rainymike

This might help understand Philhealth better. At least it's a start if you want to dig further. Anyway I'm not one who really can understand insurance policies whether written in American English or Pinoy English. One of you with more experience in the matter probably can figure it out. But if its anything like reimbursements in America, it will be very complicated.

I don't think it's as simple as foreigner or local though.

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/benefits/

fred42

But if its anything like reimbursements in America, it will be very complicated.

Our Philhealth benefit was deducted from our bill when we checked out...So no need for reimbursement.. Immediate benefit.

• Like 4

cvgtpc1

She checked with Phil Health before she went in the hospital and they told her they pay 18k for a tonsillectomy. Like I said, better than nothing.

IMO that's gratifying to know what they said up front was correct.  

rainymike

Our Philhealth benefit was deducted from our bill when we checked out...So no need for reimbursement.. Immediate benefit.

Sorry my bad not making my comment more clear. It's usually the hospital that seeks a 'reimbursement' from the insurer or government for a procedure that is performed. Insurers/governments usually make up a whole variety of rules about what can be compensated, how much will be compensated for a given procedure, etc. etc. The patient pays a small amount to the hospital, then the hospital seeks to get 'reimbursed' for the balance by government/insurer.

TDCNINJA

I was in the hospital for a blood clot from 22 Dec - 28 Dec 2014. 

I paid 60,000 pesos and phil health paid 10,000.

It was better than nothing, but not much.

I'm having cataract surgery the first week of next month. With Philhealth the total cost is 78,000P. Without Philhealth the total cost is 94,000p.

• Like 1

KennyF

I'm having cataract surgery the first week of next month. With Philhealth the total cost is 78,000P. Without Philhealth the total cost is 94,000p.

I had one eye done in Cebu back about 4 years ago by Dr Larrazabal.

Total cost was 16,000 pesos.

KonC

cvgtpc1

I had one eye done in Cebu back about 4 years ago by Dr Larrazabal.

Total cost was 16,000 pesos.

KonC

Yeah TDCNinja, you might want to check that out.  I know another guy that had this surgery pretty cheap as well and recently in AC.  And on Phil Health.

TDCNINJA

Yeah I had a friend who got an eye done at the same place as me for 18,000. 

I opted for the most expensive lens implant they have - the Lentis MPlus multifocal IOL. 

I've been wearing glasses since grade 3. I'm looking forward to no glasses.

• Like 1

TDCNINJA

I just dug out the list here are all the prices at Chua Eye Center in Balibago

With Philhealth                                             Without Philhealth

Clear Non-Aspheric:                               18,000p                                                             34,000p

Clear Aspheric                                        25,000p                                                             41.000p

Yellow Aspheric                                      35,000p                                                             51,000p

BI-Focal HD Aspheric                             55,000p                                                             71,000p

Miltifocal Yellow Aspheric   (Rings)         62,000p                                                             78,000p

Multifocal HD Aspheric (Segmental)       78,000p                                                             94,000p

• Like 2

batman2525

Talking with my G/F recently.....few months ago her 80 year old mother broke her hip and went to hospital in Cebu to get it fixed....it turned out to be quite expensive(I will get the figure and post) because the "old bird" didn't want to leave the hospital and stayed longer than what she should have.I mentioned to my G/F yesterday that its possible for foreigners to get Phil Health now because I read it on the forum and told her I would like to sign up for it next time Im in Cebu....I said to her...you have Phil Health don't you......not anymore she replied,when did you get rid of it I asked....after Mama left the hospital she said.....why I said....she replied that Phil health refused to help pay her mothers hospital bill after the "old bird" paid into Phil health since time began !!....who told you this I asked(my G/F lives in London) oh, she said Uncle Fred(name changed) Uncle Fred is her Uncle who lives across the road and is known to be a total rip off merchant....G/F said that she was sending money to Cebu as the bills were coming in from the hospital....the money was going to "Uncle Fred" who said he would go and pay the hospital....and he did,when my G/F asked about claiming the deduction for Phil Health "Uncle Fred" said Phil health wont allow any money for Momma because she is too old !!.....and it was left at that.

Ive advised my G/F to investigate this story because if "Uncle Fred" is lieing he must have "done" her out of a lot of money.

Anyone ever heard of being too old to claim Phil health?

A_Simple_Man

Anyone ever heard of being too old to claim Phil health

I've heard of being so old you die in hospital and cannot sign the forms so the hospital say you cannot make a claim and the relatives have to pay.  I think that is bs too but they will try anything here.

• Like 3

JAY P

Anyone ever heard of being too old to claim Phil health?

I find that hard to swallow, Considering the President has announced free membership for all Senior Citizens.

• Like 1

easy44

I just had another experience with Philhealth today.  Actually I didn't have one, but my gf's stepfather did.  He was admitted to Clinica Gatchalian Hospital in Ormoc for pneumonia and spent 2 days there.  When my gf went to pick him up today his total bill was P15,000, including doctors fees.  Because he is a senior citizen (72) he gets free Philhealth and the bill was entirely paid by Philhealth.  That's right, balance due: 0.00.  He was diagnosed with stage 2 pneumonia and Philhealth will pay up to a total of P20,000 for that type of case.

I would strongly recommend that anyone with friends and relatives, especially those who are senior citizens, get them enrolled in the program ASAP.  The stepfather was already registered with Philhealth but I believe that a senior citizen will still be covered, even if they aren't currently enrolled.  Even though medical costs here are low compared to the western countries, they are still a big burden on low income Filipino families and Philhealth is a big help for minimal cost.

• Like 9