Philhealth for expats.

KennyF

I believe expats can join Philhealth but I'm wondering about the need to produce a birth certificate as locals must.

Has anyone joined? Did a passport do or will birth certificate be needed?

KonC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easy44

• TDCNINJA

• KennyF

• NOSOCALPINOY

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had another experience with Philhealth today.  Actually I didn't have one, but my gf's stepfather did.  He was admitted to Clinica Gatchalian Hospital in Ormoc for pneumonia and spent 2 days th

I registered (in JCentre Mall) during a visa trip last year.  My passport was sufficient identification.  I think I pay 600 a quarter.     I'm not trying to be vague but I have lots of bills every m

I have been told that the amount a hospital will charge for the various items on their bill will vary depending on the level of accommodation the patient has.  A patient in a ward will be charged less

easy44

To tell you the truth, when I went in to apply I don't even remember having to even show an ID. Just went in, filled out an application and paid the cashier. It was so easy I couldn't believe it. I think as long as they get your money, they don't much care about the details. This was in Ormoc and often the provinces are more lenient than say Cebu City, but still, expats are accepted and covered even with a tourist visa. I vaguely recall that you need to be living here more than 6 months.

In any case, a passport SHOULD be as good as a birth certificate, since you need a BC to get a passport.

Also, you can pay in quarterly installments, which is what I'm doing. 600 pesos every 3 months for health insurance is a bargain by any definition. My gf went into Ormoc Doctors Hospital for pneumonia and stayed 3 days in a ward. Don't remember the exact figures but I paid 3000+ pesos out of a total bill of 30,000+ pesos, including doctors fees. Not bad for 2400/year.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 5
Jack_be_nimble

My wife asked the PhilHealth folks recently; they informed her, they need a copy of an NSO issued birth cert, and a copy of her I.D.  And from me, a copy of the I.D. page of  my passport.

• Like 2
Jawny

The issue of the BC is a big deal for Filipinos, if they can't produce one. I have employees who can't get Philhealth until they produce a BC. Easy peasy, right? Not so when the individual has a dispute about the birth record from another province. Becomes a major obstacle.

I'm pretty certain the BC for the Filipino is to establish with no doubt, age and identity.

For a foreigner, a passport should suffice, though I can't be certain.

I know that a BC is not too hard to get from most states/counties in the USA. Mostly its a matter of making the request. I have an original which is quite old and a newer one which is printed on the security paper most states use now. Fortunately, they both match.

I have been advised that the Ormoc office is the best one to go to for all philhealth business. Do NOT use the office in Baybay. Aside from incompetence, there are instances of "lost money". A sort of "whoops, now what happened to that payment?"

• Like 2
Skywalker

I registered (in JCentre Mall) during a visa trip last year.  My passport was sufficient identification.  I think I pay 600 a quarter.  

I'm not trying to be vague but I have lots of bills every month.  There is also a Philhealth policy for my household, which covers all the blood relatives.  This was particularly useful when one of them had an appendectomy last year.

If you don't have Health Insurance, for whatever reason, Philhealth is a bargain.  And it is available for foreigners.

• Like 7
easy44

One additional thing I learned recently is that Filipino Senior Citizens are entitled to free Philhealth. Can't beat that!

• Like 3
Kabisay-an gid

One additional thing I learned recently is that Filipino Senior Citizens are entitled to free Philhealth. Can't beat that!

Do they have to be enrolled in a PhilHealth plan prior to their illness, in order to receive benefits?

easy44

Do they have to be enrolled in a PhilHealth plan prior to their illness, in order to receive benefits?

I'm not sure about that.  You would need to ask someone at Philhealth, but I do know that the application does not ask about pre-existing conditions, so I would guess that you could enroll and get coverage for an existing illness.  There is a waiting period until the coverage kicks in, but not a long one, as I recall.  Hopefully the person will not die before coverage kicks in!  They do have a website that will answer some questions.

• Like 1

Copied off PH pages during my application.

Also individually paying foreigners living or working in the Philippines as self-employed. They need to submit a copy of their Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) issued by the Bureau of Immigration.

Eligibility for benefits coverage? Should before treatment or hospitalization, to pay the monthly premiums. 9 monthly premiums within the 12-month period prior to treatment when maternity case you need surgery or certain cases. 3 monthly premiums within the six-month period prior to treatment or hospitalization when maternity or certain surgeries.

• Like 1
ex231

I recently used PhilHealth for my wife's tonsillectomy. Our experience was a little different than others it seems. Out of a 77k bill they paid 18k. Better than nothing I guess.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

Out of a 77k bill they paid 18k

Did you send her in there as a filipina with 'only' Philhealth and small savings or did she go in high and proud as the wife of an expat. BIG difference.

• Like 3
easy44

I have been told that the amount a hospital will charge for the various items on their bill will vary depending on the level of accommodation the patient has.  A patient in a ward will be charged less than one in a private room.  Of course Philhealth will also pay a smaller percentage of a private room than they will a ward.

• Like 6
cvgtpc1

Did you send her in there as a filipina with 'only' Philhealth and small savings or did she go in high and proud as the wife of an expat. BIG difference.

Not really fair to say that imo.  I assume ex231 accompanied her as she is his wife and they would know then she's married to an expat if that's the reason they covered so little.

I've heard both sides, either they pay most or pay little of a claim.  The usual PI gray area.  Are the one's that pay most doing it right, and the one's that don't are they pocketing the expat's money?  Or is it based on the type of surgery and services rendered?

ex231

I wish I'd known that! There were two boxes, one marked "Poor" and the other marked "Rich". I guess we accidentally marked the "Rich" box.

Due to a foul up (imagine that) she was in a ward the first day and a private room the next two days, so I don't think where you stay matters overall.

She checked with Phil Health before she went in the hospital and they told her they pay 18k for a tonsillectomy. Like I said, better than nothing.

• Like 6
A_Simple_Man

she was in a ward the first day and a private room the next two days,

Yep.  They saw foreigner:

In most hospitals, surgeons prefer tonsillectomy patients to stay in hospital for one night. In some hospitals tonsil surgery is done as a day case

https://www.entuk.org/ent_patients/throat_conditions/tonsil_surgery