Travel Insurance purchased in the Philippines

When my partner joined me for a holiday in Bali last year she had Travel insurance from I think "Standard" sold to her by the travel agent

I wasnt too impressed by the policy it reminded me of the one I get for the multicab.........limited in scope and payout to small amounts in pesos.

Cannot buy her Travel Insurance in OZ so what are my choices if

1. I want a policy comparable to Aus/ European standards

2. That you can purchase in the Phils

3. Just for travel to Singapore

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Ricbak

rfm010

my family used malayan last year when traveling to the u.s.  easy to deal with but the real interest is how do they deliver when needed?  thankfully we didn't have the opportunity to test them.

see this thread:   http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/72358-malayan-travel-insurance-worthwhile/?hl=%2Btravel+%2Binsurance

allianz gets some recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...
goldeagle

World Nomads is an Australian oriented company and whether they can cover you depends on your citizenship and residency status. Their website makes it easy to check this.

TDCNINJA

Well, I'm an American, and my policy covers me in the Philippines and Thailand. (And any other country in the world for that matter)

World Nomads may be Australian, but the actual policy is underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company out of Columbus, OH, USA. 

I've used World Nomads (Nationwide) for 5 years and have had great results.

http://www2.worldnomads.com/files/DocPDF/20140618/N300S-NSHTC2500-IN-IN-06-14-A.pdf

Edited by TDCNINJA
cvgtpc1

Well, I'm an American, and my policy covers me in the Philippines and Thailand. (And any other country in the world for that matter)

World Nomads may be Australian, but the actual policy is underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company out of Columbus, OH, USA. 

I've used World Nomads (Nationwide) for 5 years and have had great results.

http://www2.worldnomads.com/files/DocPDF/20140618/N300S-NSHTC2500-IN-IN-06-14-A.pdf

Thanks for this info as I've been researching this.  So do you have this because you have no other health insurance or your US health ins doesn't cover intl?  My UHC policy at work covers me intl so trying to figure out if something like this is any use in my situation.

TDCNINJA

I have Tricare and I have Philhealth. But let's face facts, if I get into a bad car wreck or a bad motorcycle accident and I need immediate life saving surgery, in most cases, you need to put down a huge chunk of pesos before they will treat you.  With Tricare, you have to pay up front and attempt to be reimbursed later.

In the Philippines, they will literally watch you die if you don't have the cash right then.

The one exception to that rule is if you're a foreigner and you have travelers insurance. If I'm conscious and can show my insurance card, or if someone can show my card for me, I'm good to go.

I have been in one bad and one not so bad accident and both times, World Nomads paid my bill for me without me having to front major cash to the hospital.

Even if you do have that large chunk of cash in a savings account you better make sure you can get access to it if the shit hits the fan.

So, yeah, I'm very happy with my experiences using travelers insurance.

* Note: I was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol when I crashed. It is my understanding that if you are under the influence and get into an accident the policy does NOT cover you.

For that reason, when I drink, I take a cab, trike, call a friend or I walk. I do NOT drive with alcohol in my system.

Edited by TDCNINJA
cvgtpc1

The one exception to that rule is if you're a foreigner and you have travelers insurance. If I'm conscious and can show my insurance card, or if someone can show my card for me, I'm good to go.

That part is a huge selling point as with my UHC it would be a reimbursement situation. 

I'm a little skeptical that works everywhere though, were these major urban hospitals that took the traveler's insurance card?

TDCNINJA

The bad one was RTR Hospital in Tacloban, in 2012,  and the not so bad one was at Our Lady of Mt Carmel Medical Center in San Fernando, Pampanga, in 2011.

I had an additional scrape in Panglao Island, Bohol, and was transported to Community Hospital in Tagbilaran, but the entire bill was 5000+ (PHP), so I just paid cash and went home to lay in bed forever.

I would advise that you call World Nomads and talk to them on their toll free line and ask them about payouts. 

You should never take someone's word on a chat forum.