Sign in to follow this  
msmith524

CD-King another poorly managed business?

to_dave007

Blimey ...by this yardstick you could put together an argument for globe being well managed ...or just about any other cartel business in the Philippines...when in reality you have no wide choice ...

Correct. I agree.

But the ABSENCE of good competition or regulation is not Globe's responsibility is it? I don't like it any more than the next guy, but face it... the OWNERS of these profitable companies DO like it and may consider these businesses very well managed.

Cipro

The name is cd-r king

I have bought several routers from them and have not had any problems with them

I would caution people to be very careful with routers as they are possibly the single most crucial part of securing your home or business LAN. 

Woolf

I would caution people to be very careful with routers as they are possibly the single most crucial part of securing your home or business LAN. 

I am not an expert on routers (I do not write the programs for them), but then I am not a novice either in configuring them

What is the problems that you are thinking of ?    

I dont think that any enterprise company would go to cd-r king for routers

but for a private person what do you think could be a security problem with cd-r king routers

In denmark I have a small video conference server running, have had no problems

I use port forwarding

it has been running for 5 years ++, have not touched it but for had to change the power supply twice

Edited by Woolf

Cipro

I am not an expert on routers (I do not write the programs for them), but then I am not a novice either in configuring them

What is the problems that you are thinking of ? 

Typically embedded systems like routers make use of FOSS projects to complete their feature set. For instance a lot (the majority) of routers out today in the consumer space will be running Linux and other open source software stacks to implement various things. When say, OpenSSL has a vulnerability the folks that maintain the project typically issue a patch very soon. Then within a very short time the other folks who maintain distributions like Debian or Red Hat or FreeBSD incorporate that patch into their distribution and then the OS is patched. Maybe it's an Apache issue, or SQLite, or whatever. 

How active is CD-R King with patching their routers against the latest vulnerabilities?

On top of that it's relatively easy to get software working, but to do the work of having security audits and testing is a much higher level of effort. I really doubt they take it seriously. So on top of the vulnerabilities they inherit, it's pretty likely they added some of their own. If you want a good secure router, look for one that's supported by or that is even built using an open source router firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT which will continue to provide frequent security patches, or buy from a reputable brand with a name to protect. 

Now some CDR-King routers DO use DD-WRT, just be careful they support user flashing with a community supported build. 

For a UPS, or switches, or whatever I have no real issue for most users; if it works it's probably good. Routers are your gate into your garden - make sure the gate has a good lock. 

Just my $0.03

Edited by Cipro
  • Like 2

liquido

What baffles me is that CD-R King is a nationwide company found almost in every major city... Is it asking to much for CD-R King to spend some of there profits and buy cash registers for each of there stores..The employe's spend most of there time writing up hand written receipts..WTF

• Like 1

maximian

What baffles me is that CD-R King is a nationwide company found almost in every major city... Is it asking to much for CD-R King to spend some of there profits and buy cash registers for each of there stores..The employe's spend most of there time writing up hand written receipts..WTF

Nothing wrong with hand written receipts :db:

easy44

Nothing wrong with hand written receipts :db:

Yeah, nothing wrong with them except they take about 10 times longer to complete than a cash register receipt.  How can CD-R justify their employee spending 10 minutes writing a receipt for maybe 300 pesos worth of items?   Meanwhile there is a long line of people waiting.  Nobody happy in that situation.

Jawny

The issue of whether CDR King is poorly managed seems clear enough to me. Yes, it is poorly managed. That is my opinion. I base it upon careless management of stocks, indifference toward customer support and so forth. As far as making a profit, sure, I would guess it is a profitable venture. That doesn't change my opinion as to good management.

Frankly, CDR King is not much different than many companies here. People are so conditioned to accepting low standards of merchandise and service there are few signs this will ever change much for so many.

I often think about the public transport systems here being the same. Bus companies, van companies, taxies and the like all have abusive, careless drivers, poorly maintained equipment, and regularly ignore safety and other rules with impunity. Do they make a profit? Most likely. Are they well managed. Not at all.

In my area there are a few national chain department stores with modern bar code and other scanning equipment for the cashiers. In spite of this fancy equipment and potential for managing stocks, the ever present "out of stock sir" phrase remains. In fact, I am amused to watch a cashier have to call a sales person to the station before she can scan an item, since the rule is the sales person has to use a hand written receipt which accompanies the computerized records. So much for efficiency.

• Like 2

easy44

The issue of whether CDR King is poorly managed seems clear enough to me. Yes, it is poorly managed. That is my opinion. I base it upon careless management of stocks, indifference toward customer support and so forth. As far as making a profit, sure, I would guess it is a profitable venture. That doesn't change my opinion as to good management.

Frankly, CDR King is not much different than many companies here. People are so conditioned to accepting low standards of merchandise and service there are few signs this will ever change much for so many.

I often think about the public transport systems here being the same. Bus companies, van companies, taxies and the like all have abusive, careless drivers, poorly maintained equipment, and regularly ignore safety and other rules with impunity. Do they make a profit? Most likely. Are they well managed. Not at all.

In my area there are a few national chain department stores with modern bar code and other scanning equipment for the cashiers. In spite of this fancy equipment and potential for managing stocks, the ever present "out of stock sir" phrase remains. In fact, I am amused to watch a cashier have to call a sales person to the station before she can scan an item, since the rule is the sales person has to use a hand written receipt which accompanies the computerized records. So much for efficiency.

Gaisano Ormoc?

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Gaisano Ormoc?

????

Jawny

Gaisano Ormoc?

You got it!

Talk about two steps forward, three steps back. Get new cash registers with scan capability, but still need a paper from the sales staff.

One of my favorite moments was when I bought several items on sale (I think it was socks or some small priced item). The sale price was worth it to buy many, so I did. However, in order to get the discounted price, each pair had to individually scanned with its own receipt. Ten pairs, ten receipts. Then, to make for an even more interesting experience, I got to watch as three (or was it six or seven) sales staff and cashiers all try to add up the total so to make the correct change.

It's SO MUCH MORE fun in the Philippines.

• Like 2

easy44

You got it!

Talk about two steps forward, three steps back. Get new cash registers with scan capability, but still need a paper from the sales staff.

One of my favorite moments was when I bought several items on sale (I think it was socks or some small priced item). The sale price was worth it to buy many, so I did. However, in order to get the discounted price, each pair had to individually scanned with its own receipt. Ten pairs, ten receipts. Then, to make for an even more interesting experience, I got to watch as three (or was it six or seven) sales staff and cashiers all try to add up the total so to make the correct change.

It's SO MUCH MORE fun in the Philippines.

Unfortunately, I know exactly what you're talking about.  It's a zoo!

musicman666

I always thought that handwritten receipts was their way of keeping it unfriendly for outside agencies to monitor how much money they were taking ....for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

maximian

I always thought that handwritten receipts was their way of keeping it unfriendly for outside agencies to monitor how much money they were taking ....for obvious reasons.

Correct :yahoo:

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

I think the title is wrong. They have horrendous customer service. I bought many a cheap product from them and even returned a few. (Parkmall the only return location).