Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Buying US Dollars?

Enuff

Skyman,

If you have a credit card use it, if you don't and have time to apply for one, do so immediately.

Just get a couple dollars from money changer here but you will find that 99% of the business in the US take credit cards.

If you have a rewards card even better, heck I use a CC for everything, even a $2 cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

No need to worry about carrying dollars, exchange rate or converting them back.

Bill H

Has anyone tried to use their ATM card from a local bank in the States?  I suspect they would kill you on the exchange rate and fees, but in a pinch it might work.

Paul

I have heard there has been a big problem with travelers checks being counterfeit, so many places in the States no longer accept them...what I've heard anyway.  The last time I bought them the fee was 1% or so, not sure what they give for an exchange rate, I'll ask.  Thanks.

Previously, I had not gotten that far in his post. I stopped when I got to the point of suggesting changing money at any bank.

But, traveler's checks are a definite no-no in the Philippines.

maccydee

I agree with Paul about travellers checks. I used them on my 1st trip to the Phil's & never again. In a previous post about the 4th floor of Ayala it's called core Pacific money exchange. Alot of the local money changers have signs up saying they won't sell foreign currency but to go there if you need to. Never used them myself as the wife tends to suck all the money I have brought with me & I arrive at the airport with enough for the departure tax. & the HK or SG $ I bring with me to kill time at either.

• Like 1

Bill H

The only problem I've had with buying dollars is the money changer not having enough dollars on hand. 

If you are in/near Cebu, I would go to the money changer at Raintree Mall. They will have enough dollars, give you a good rate and will not give you counterfeit money. 

I went there today and found two Western Unions, but nothing else.  Were these the ones you were referring too?

Lee

Has anyone tried to use their ATM card from a local bank in the States?  I suspect they would kill you on the exchange rate and fees, but in a pinch it might work.

Years ago I had used my Philippine Citibank US dollar ATM in the US at a CitiBank and gotten dollars and there was no charge, possibly other bank dollar ATM cards might only charge the ATM fee.

easy44

I went there today and found two Western Unions, but nothing else.  Were these the ones you were referring too?

Both Maccydee and myself have referred you to Core Pacific money exchange on the 4th level of Ayala Mall. Apparently you missed that. It's real, they will sell you as many dollars as you want, and they won't even ask for an ID. Try it, you'll like it.

Monsoon

There is definitely a well known and established money changer there, unless something has happened to them that I wasn't aware of.

Bill H

In the end, I was able to buy dollars for 44.35 in the Fuente across from Robertsons.  I checked 8 money changers and the range was 44.35 up to 44.95 which surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't have.  The actual exchange was very easy and fast, but it's pretty public and anyone can see what you're doing, which made me uncomfortable but I had no problems.  I'm not sure why, but I was not expecting the spread to be so much between the money changers.  So that's the end of the story, and I'm outta here!

• Like 1