Sign in to follow this  
daenselot

Tuna fishing

daenselot

Is there a good chance to get big tunas (1.5m+) in the waters close to the shore in the Philippines in general and more specificly in the waters in southern Negros? i guess they are getting most of them when they are still small when looking whats being offered at the market...??

Just asking by curiosity...

Bill H

The tuna coming into Dipolog right now are running between 70 and 80 kilos.  Which would be well over a meter long.

Yellowfever

That's a big sandwich. Gonna need some mayo.

shadow

Is there a good chance to get big tunas (1.5m+) in the waters close to the shore in the Philippines in general and more specificly in the waters in southern Negros? i guess they are getting most of them when they are still small when looking whats being offered at the market...??

Just asking by curiosity...

I don't think you will get many big ones close to shore. Most of the tuna fishing is done 20 km out or so...

• Like 2

BossHog

mark will put you into some big tuna

he's a good bloke

you know, for an english man

he advertises on this site

sailfishbay

• Like 2

Headshot

Just by curiosity and really off topic:

Is there a good chance to get big tunas (1.5m+) in the waters near Siaton? i guess they are getting most of them when they are still small when looking whats being offered at the market...??

There are many different species of tuna. Most of the tuna you see in the markets here are species that don't get all that big. The big boys (bluefin and bigeye), that are the really valuable species, are usually found in deeper waters of the open ocean).

• Like 1

Bill H

I don't think you will get many big ones close to shore. Most of the tuna fishing is done 20 km out or so...

Yes, but didn't someone say they were going out 20km?

shadow

Yes, but didn't someone say they were going out 20km?

The question was;

"Is there a good chance to get big tunas (1.5m+) in the waters close to the shore in the Philippines in general and more specificly in the waters in southern Negros?"

daenselot

There are many different species of tuna. Most of the tuna you see in the markets here are species that don't get all that big. The big boys (bluefin and bigeye), that are the really valuable species, are usually found in deeper waters of the open ocean).

Mostly they say it's yellow fin tuna on the market here. What wikipedia said: yellowfin common length 1.5 m. That's why i asked for this size...

shadow

Mostly they say it's yellow fin tuna on the market here. What wikipedia said: yellowfin common length 1.5 m. That's why i asked for this size...

In Dumaguete market you will find a lot of frigate tuna (mackeral), 18-24 inches, and skipjack up to about 3 feet. Yellowfin is available too but not as plentiful, as it comes from farther offshore.

I think yellowfin is more common down south, Davao and GenSan...

Albacore rules!

• Like 2

exploringlife2

post-15088-0-23101200-1427632424_thumb.jpgpost-15088-0-92539200-1427632335_thumb.jpgpost-15088-0-26540000-1427632344_thumb.jpgI took pictures of big yellow fin tuna just coming off the boat on Camiguin in Nov. and Dec. After Dec. the sea is to rough and the tuna boats stop going out. They fish between Camiguin and Bohol in deep water when there is no moon out. I would love to go out fishing for these hogs, but not interested in small boats they use. These boats go out in the evening and return in the morning. I attached some pic's I took. Some of these Bad Boys were over 100 kilo

• Like 4

BossHog

is that mcdo in carcar open yet?

• Like 2

Jeepney

is that mcdo in carcar open yet?

Wow, mcdo in Car2?

Haven't been there for few years now, Is that joint still open what belonged to the American who died few years back,

nice guy, loved playing poker. 

Aerosick

Wow, mcdo in Car2?

Haven't been there for few years now, Is that joint still open what belonged to the American who died few years back,

nice guy, loved playing poker. 

Waaaay off topic, but Sam Watkin's Cafe is now closed.

• Like 1

Jeepney

Waaaay off topic, but Sam Watkin's Cafe is now closed.

Cheers, yeah bit ot, but seriously have heard of good catches around Camiguen, not so far from Negros );

tuna and malasugi are frequent catches.

• Like 2