Rules for Staying Safe in the Philippines

Kabisay-an gid

maybe he thought a well lit store full of people and a guard was better then a dark ally way ...   to bad it was not Arizona them guys would of had lots of fun dodging bullets themselves

I wouldn't have run into a dark alley either, and the place wasn't full of people. It was about 4:30 in the morning and the restaurant was almost empty. You also apparently have more faith than I in unarmed Filipino security guards at fast food joints.

• Like 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• XBroker

• throttleplate

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fly to the Philippines. Buy a lot .Build a 3 meter tall fence , top it with broken glass and razor wire. Build a concrete bunker inside the walls ,make sure all Windows are covered in steel bars with

There are more rules than that. I don't have the time or inclination to make a comprehensive list, but here are a few of the biggies off the top of my head:   1. Don't get involved in politics, or a

If you open a competitive business don't be successful.

InternetTough

"When the wind too prosperous blows, time to shorten sail."

----Horace

Yes, that seems wise. The Philippines does have strong winds at times.

"If the highest aim of a captain were the safety of his ship, he would keep it in port forever."

----St. Thomas Aquinas

Yes, we can't go through life folding every hand.

Decisions! Decisions!

• Like 1
smokey

I wouldn't have run into a dark alley either, and the place wasn't full of people. It was about 4:30 in the morning and the restaurant was almost empty. You also apparently have more faith than I in unarmed Filipino security guards at fast food joints.

not really but I know the area and behind Mcdonalds is nothing and nothing else is open for a long ways to bad the police were not patrol  always some taxi around and a few jeeps but almost ghost town except for the Mcdonalds    too bad dunkin  dounuts was not open that's usually a safe place to go ... oh wait wrong country

Edited by smokey
David Spicer

Mr. DAVID SPICER, Wow. I hope this doesn't embarrass you but I followed your posts intently

before I moved here May 2010. Different web site. Then I lost track of your excellent posts.

You are my legend along with a Don from Negroes. Just wanted to say you are the "only guy"

that could make that statement of not a single incident and I absolutely believe. it. If I remember

your child should be quite a young growing girl now. Anyway, you made a dent in my thick skull.

Peace to you and your lovely family, Miles in Davao, formally Cebu.

Glad I could help Miles. And yes, she's growing like a weed. She's about to finish the 1st Grade, speaks both English and Cebuano, but having a little bit of a hard time with Tagalog. Better her having to learn all of this than me :-)

angbumabasa

did you see that in a retirement video ?

Nah. He mustuv bin dat furiner we seed up da road looken at da japayuki's place, well fortified. .  

Us'ns ain't so grand. We gotta a bamboo fence 'round our 2,200 sm gimay farm.

And 45 full growed 8' long Palawan Monitor Lizards.

Edited by angbumabasa
  • Like 1
angbumabasa

On a more serious note. While living in Manila, anyone must have antennas up. A military background will allow one to do this automatically. On the LRT or MRT. Don't carry anything but minimum cash stuck in a front pocket or your shorts. Don't go to any ATM at night. Locals have been robbed and/or killed at ATM's on the access road on Rojas just after dark. Use metered taxis only. The kind that will refuse you service because your shoes are wet and dirty. If you must, for some reason, go out late at night, walking, stay on streets where you can walk in the middle of the road. Every street in the NCR has those little 1m right of ways, just the perfect place for someone to hide and as you walk by, assault you. That happened to a friend of mine. Me walking the middle of the road, He walking on the sidewalk. Passing a ROW he got jumped by 4 or 5 80lb Filipinos. He, a Vietnam combat vet, all 6'4" and 240lbs, was throwing them around like rag dolls. Me? I couldn't control myself, we having been drinking, I'm LMAO. But me, if it happened to me, by that time in my life I qualified for disability. (didn't take it) and I might be dead. 

Edited by angbumabasa
  • Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Wow.

Don't go out at night? Don't wear any jewelry? Don't go to bars?

I'm not sure some of you are actually living here.

• Like 5
rainymike

I think using common sense is what you really need. Rules are maybe too rigid. Better to have a good feel for yourself and your situation than a million rules.

And I think settling into a decent circle of friends helps bring peace of mind. Can't ever be 100% safe and you have to live with some risk. Am not sure it's really living if you've got yourself living in a fort - physically or mentally.

• Like 4
smokey

well today in the Tempo is a story about a guy who killed one friend and wounded the other because they wanted to change the TV station on THeir TV .. so add if watching tv with a local dont try to change the station without checking if its ok 

• Like 3
sugbu777

In the end...nothing can keep you totally safe. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time...you may be out of luck.

Agreed, and that could be anywhere.

• Like 1
bargeman

Agreed, 4) Mind your own business & Don't be a Dick...simple :wave:

Some here might find that 'difficult'.

• Like 1
bargeman

dunkin  dounuts was not open that's usually a safe place to go ... oh wait wrong country

Not if you have to eat the 'doughnuts  :cool:

well today in the Tempo is a story about a guy who killed one friend and wounded the other because they wanted to change the TV station on THeir TV .. so add if watching tv with a local dont try to change the station without checking if its ok 

Good point, I always ask the wife first. 

• Like 1
ex231

Are you sure the guy was killed for trying to change the channel? Or more likely trying to lower the volume?

• Like 5
smokey

Are you sure the guy was killed for trying to change the channel? Or more likely trying to lower the volume?

it said because the tv owner wanted to change the station and the visitor a friend did not ... plus drinking session

• Like 1