can a car battery be used to start a generator

Exactly – you can even connect, oh, how many AA batteries to get 12V, parallel them to get enough amps…  :D

• Like 4
smokey

I have a Promate 6100 DES (Diesel) and I am going on 2&1/2 years on the original battery. Always starts right away. I run it for 30 minutes every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged. Do you run it often ? Try running it for 30 minutes once a week and see what that does. If the battery still goes dead you may have a charging problem or possibly a short. You may want to have it serviced. Or as mentioned, buy a trickle charger. Are you keeping the ignition in the off position and the key out of it ?

Many moons ago I took care of a lot of generators in the military and have had one at nearly every house I have had since then. I can say I have never had a problem other than the oil pressure switch on this one I have now went bad so I replaced it and all is well.

Preventive maintenance is crucial on something as important as a back-up generator.

hasn't started for 4 months and I leave the key in ... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

throttleplate

sitting unused in the heat will cause a battery to sulfate, once that happens especially on a small bike battery with little positive and negative plate surface doesnt leave much to hold a charge. Charging and discharging a battery keeps the plates clean of sulfation. Hook up a big car battery no problem,just dont keep starter engaged but for a few seconds if its not starting to avoid burning up the solenoid and starter. Even the biggest car battery will go bad if not cycled through a charge discharge cycle often.

Davaoeno

a 2 second glance at the battery would confirm it

now why didnt I think of that ???    :evan:

smokey

sitting unused in the heat will cause a battery to sulfate, once that happens especially on a small bike battery with little positive and negative plate surface doesnt leave much to hold a charge. Charging and discharging a battery keeps the plates clean of sulfation. Hook up a big car battery no problem,just dont keep starter engaged but for a few seconds if its not starting to avoid burning up the solenoid and starter. Even the biggest car battery will go bad if not cycled through a charge discharge cycle often.

if i have the battery emptied and re filled with acid will that work or is it a goner 

Paul

hasn't started for 4 months and I leave the key in ... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I figured as much. Robert, you have to exercise generators. Not only crank it and just let it run. But, about once per month or so, run it under a load for oh, an hour? 

throttleplate

if i have the battery emptied and re filled with acid will that work or is it a goner 

never empty a battery and add acid. A battery is fillled with a solution of 64% water and 36% acid. When a battery is discharged the acid is absorbed into the plates and the only way to get it out of the plates is to charge it which reverses the process. Adding acid will mess up the % ratio of 36% acid and 64% water and totally ruin whats left of the battery plates.

• Like 1

Deep cycle marine battery with a minder attached would be your best bet