can a car battery be used to start a generator

smokey

I have a promate 8800 and it has a small battery which I have replaced a few times can I just buy a car battery and it will hold a charge longer ??  the little generator battery cost more then a car battery

Davaoeno

I have a promate 8800 and it has a small battery which I have replaced a few times can I just buy a car battery and it will hold a charge longer ??  the little generator battery cost more then a car battery

what are the specs written on the small battery ?

smokey

what are the specs written on the small battery ?

specs ???  I just figure its a small gas motor and when the battery is new it starts right up but 3 months later not enough juice to turn the motor over

12 volts dc is 12 volts dc is 12 volts dc

• Like 2

Without going into great detail of electrical stuff, of which i do not know tooo much, as long as its the same for same voltage (presuming 12V), then no probs.

However, getting into that electrical stuff i said i didnt know about, if you have a high capacity car battery and your genny has a tiny starter motor, then PROLONGED use of the high capacity car battery may fry the starter after a while.

There are far more expert electrical people on here than me.

If your original battery is just going flat with non use then invest in something like an Accu Mate  http://www.accumate.co.uk/accumate.htm

Used to use them on my bikes all the time. You can use it on more than just the genny, ride on mower, golf cart, invalid carriage, you know....all those toys you have  :db:

Edited by Tinbum

You can, Robert. However, depending upon usage, you may have to put a battery minder on it. It would be something like a trickle charger to keep it topped off.

• Like 4
Davaoeno

so you are saying that its 12v dc ?  I thought it might be best to find out before hooking a 12v battery to the system.  

fullriver_logonew2.png

Applications:

• Marine and RV House Service
  • Marine and RV Starting
  • Renewable Energy (Photovoltaics)
  • Inverter Stand-by Battery Banks
  • UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supplies)

• Telecommunications
  • Stand-By Generator
  • Electric Wheelchairs
  • Golf Carts
  • Robots

post-8045-0-37683100-1425113567_thumb.jpg

post-8045-0-26374700-1425113574_thumb.jpg

post-8045-0-55427300-1425113579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
later not enough juice to turn the motor over

how about charging the little battery, a small charger will be cheaper then a new pattery

EDIT AKA what Paul said

Edited by Runian

You can, Robert. However, depending upon usage, you may have to put a battery minder on it. It would be something like a trickle charger to keep it topped off.

Robert? Roberts always think they're special and above Bobs. Bobs are cool though.

I had a 10 watt solar panel hooked up to car battery that ran my gate opener in the states. Never went dead. A good option when a power source isn't handy.

• Like 1
Highlighter
if you have a high capacity car battery and your genny has a tiny starter motor, then PROLONGED use of the high capacity car battery may fry the starter after a while.

In the same vein. I have a high capacity power station down the road from my house. From prolonged use my fridge is still working. The power source as long as it's a compatible voltage (and frequency, if you really want to get into it) will work.

Smokey, if your generator starting system is 12 VDC (my guess) then any 12 VDC battery with sufficient cranking power will work. In layman's terms if the car battery you want to use is physically larger than the original battery it will work. If the generator is not fitted with a 12 VDC charging circuit it doesn't matter what size battery you use it will eventually go flat. As suggested a battery tender (trickle charger) should be installed. I bought a Bosch unit recently from Ace Hardware, wasn't particularly cheap but it does what I want it to do. 3200 Peso or there abouts.

Edited by Highlighter
Semper paratus

I have a Promate 6100 DES (Diesel) and I am going on 2&1/2 years on the original battery. Always starts right away. I run it for 30 minutes every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged. Do you run it often ? Try running it for 30 minutes once a week and see what that does. If the battery still goes dead you may have a charging problem or possibly a short. You may want to have it serviced. Or as mentioned, buy a trickle charger. Are you keeping the ignition in the off position and the key out of it ?

Many moons ago I took care of a lot of generators in the military and have had one at nearly every house I have had since then. I can say I have never had a problem other than the oil pressure switch on this one I have now went bad so I replaced it and all is well.

Preventive maintenance is crucial on something as important as a back-up generator.

• Like 1

I can go have a look at your genset, I will bring a voltmeter

and can check if it is charging the battery when running

We can also have a look at changing the battery to a

larger capacity (car battery)

Is this the one

https://getclub.sharepoint.com/Documents/Promate%20PM-8800-ES.pdf

Edited by Woolf

so you are saying that its 12v dc ?  I thought it might be best to find out before hooking a 12v battery to the system.  

I'd bet on it. Anyway a 2 second glance at the battery would confirm it .. 15 minutes and an hour of online research for you :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
miles-high

Exactly – you can even connect, oh, how many AA batteries to get 12V, parallel them to get enough amps…  :D

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 2