Sign in to follow this  
Runian

Makin' Bacon

fred42

Yeah I think thats pretty normal.. Its the bit on the edge of bacon we call the rined.

• Like 1

John B

Curing salt, pink salt, praque salt, all the same.  Though some makers use sodium nitrate versus sodium nitrite.   In a country where things are diffucult to find, the distinction is (to me) minor as both do work well.

I have smoked a few hundred kilo of bacon, chickens, loins, pork chops, etc over the years inb Cebu.    The Praque Salt as it is known here is USUALLY available at Fooda on Mango Ave and White Gold. 

My last purchase was at 'Fooda (Saversmart) on Mango.

Made by RIA & RISSA TRADING COMPANY, telephone:  032-345-3377.   No idea where the company is located.     50 gram pack for 3.85 pesos (no typo) and 100 gram pack for 7.10 pesos    Like anything here ""When in stock""   Sometimes no stock for several months    I have used it or similar (not sure of other makers), this is the brand I currently have on my shelf, for about 12 years now.

I usually used soaked mango wood or coconut wood if no mango available.   As I understand it you should peel the mango wood before using as the dangerous chemiclas are in the bark of the tree.

• Like 2

Runian

Did you leave the skin on? Is that how it's normally done?

Yeah I think thats pretty normal.. Its the bit on the edge of bacon we call the rined.

What he said. The skin is a pain to remove and takes time ad that up with the loss of fat and the aditional weight lost in skin, where I am from that is a noticeable price hike.

ricardo123#

I have always left the skin on (rind)..it takes 2 cuts to get your meat off each time unless you don't care if it has some crunch or some chew.. then it takes only one and a sharp knife ;).. I never used a meat slicer though.

BTW...I talked recent to a friend of mine in West Virginia and he swears by corn cobs to smoke with..

John B

I have smoked many, many slabs of bacon.   I buy the whole rib.  Cut the ribs off first.  Makes great bar-b-que ribs.   Then remove the skin because I personally do not want it.   It is easy to do IF you practice a few times and have A SHARP KNIFE.

I seperate the ribs, then cut the meat into the size I want and THEN remove the skin.

I do a dry rub, curing salt and depending on my whim at the moment, a little hony, or brown sugat, or a spice or two.      Wrap well, refrigerate for 5 - 7 days, turning at least once a day.   When ready to smoke, I remove as mush salt as possible then into the smoker.   Use very little salt.   You will learn by doing.  First 2 or 3 efforts went into the garbage as way to salty.

• Like 1

Runian

I do a dry rub, curing salt and depending on my whim at the moment, a little hony, or brown sugat, or a spice or two.      Wrap well, refrigerate for 5 - 7 days, turning at least once a day.   When ready to smoke, I remove as mush salt as possible then into the smoker.   Use very little salt.   You will learn by doing.  First 2 or 3 efforts went into the garbage as way to salty.

I do the same as u but I put the meat in cold water after curing to draw out the salt. In testing I took on slab out after one hour and that was way to salty, the rest was in fore 2 hours and was just right.

Now I put the to salty slab in cold water after smoking to see how that goes, it still taste wonderful but a bit on the salty side still, but it is good in a BLT. Munching only bacon without anything really brings out the salt. 

I do not take off the skin, the slabs of meat I buy is HQ and the skin really stick to the thin fat lining (look to post #1), the pork bought in the wet marked is another thing, it is only fat on the belly.

ricardo123#

First 2 or 3 efforts went into the garbage as way to salty....hahaha...same here years ago...I saved one and used it as salt pork in some baked beans tho and it wasn't too bad.

hyaku

First 2 or 3 efforts went into the garbage as way to salty....hahaha...same here years ago...I saved one and used it as salt pork in some baked beans tho and it wasn't too bad.

Hot water will take out the saltiness.

ricardo123#

I do that with salt pork but It kinda made the bacon soggy..in beans it was ok tho.

I have found that it doesn't take a lot of salt. And...it seems sometimes that smoking it longer and slower with little actual heat brings out the saltiness too. I think the main thing is to rinse it well before you start to smoke it and pat it good and dry. For about a pound and a half I only use maybe a table spoon of pink Himalayan salt or kosher salt and some maple syrup or dark brown sugar and a dab of honey. But I leave in that for 6 or 7 days in the fridge and flop it everyday. I think the honey actually keeps it from drying out when you smoke it...like I said...I pretty much go for low and slow as far as heat .. I have a buddy that likes to use molasses.. same guy that smokes with corn cobs. He likes it but it is too strong taste for me. 

Here where I live in up-state ny...I have a hard time even finding pork belly or side pork that isn't already salted.

When I was a kid we always cured the hog jowl also and used it as bacon.

Edited by ricardo123#

Runian

Hot water will take out the saltiness.

I do that with salt pork but It kinda made the bacon soggy

I soak it it cold water and I am not about to try hot when that works, even soaking it after smoking did not diminish the flavor only draw out more salt