Sign in to follow this  
Runian

Makin' Bacon

Davaoeno

You just need to buy sea salt.  I deed that for nasal cleaning for many years when i was doing yoga   [ unfortunately not with the Manila yoga instructor]

Runian

You just need to buy sea salt.  I deed that for nasal cleaning for many years when i was doing yoga   [ unfortunately not with the Manila yoga instructor]

I have looked high and low in all the stores and supermarkets I have been too for the last 4 years, and non bar one(he has 2 containers of 750 grams left and cant find any more) had pure salt. I find rock ,sea and non descriptive and up on reading the fine print they all contain iodine..

Anyway I have all I need to make my own now as I finally happened to find a 65 cm SS Basin and with the aforementioned burner I am all set.

post-5686-0-66842700-1425799506_thumb.jpg post-5686-0-34285100-1425799515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Runian

Runian

Brother working of his internet use on the smoke house, I kitted it out with a light and a tiny fan just in case I have draft problems.

post-5686-0-04429200-1425800130_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

ricardo123#

Don't they have any tin stovepipe there in the PI?..Idk man...I grew up raising hogs and smoking meat and fish...I understand you are attentive to detail and all?.. but that smoke house is way more elaborate than it needs to be..It ain't art dude.. it's a damn smoke house...

• Like 2

Runian

Don't they have any tin stovepipe there in the PI?..Idk man...I grew up raising hogs and smoking meat and fish...I understand you are attentive to detail and all?.. but that smoke house is way more elaborate than it needs to be..It ain't art dude.. it's a damn smoke house...

yeah I know Bro, I just like to have a fancy one :D

no stove pipe that I could find, out here in the province they cook there food outside , no need for stove pipes 

Edited by Runian
  • Like 2

ricardo123#

BTW...the best salt I ever used for brining pork was road salt/rock salt. We would go to the county salt pile that they used in their salt trucks in the winter and get a few 5 gal pails of it. It came from salt mines in Argentina and Brazil... We had to pound it out and screen (window screen) the stones out  of it and heat in water and then pour it through cheese-cloth let it cool and throw in the porks...slab/butts and ham and jowl and let 'er soak...

Edited by ricardo123#
  • Like 1

ricardo123#

If you find a decent local green wood to use for smoking please PLEASE post it...So far I have heard Mango is no go.. and that is the one I was pinning my hopes on. Banana?.. any others?.. the wood smoke is the most important aspect of the bacon/ham.. etc  imho.

I actually bought a couple of bags of apple/alder chips I am bringing with me in May 2015... I can make a smoke house out of my balikbayan boxes and a hot plate... along with a mess of SMigs.

Here in up-state NY I always used green apple fresh cut or black cherry same. We have what is called "pig-nut" hickory here but it sucks for smoking meat...too much soot and it has a bitter after taste. I have friends that use sugar maple that is young but the problem with that is the sweet sap is only in the spring and butcher time is mostly in the fall. By far the best I ever used was wild green apple to smoke and a salt/brown sugar cure (sometimes maple syrup) . And not to be an elitist?.. but it is by far still the best bacon/ham/hog jowl I have ever had.

• Like 1

Runian
If you find a decent local green wood to use for smoking please PLEASE post it...So far I have heard Mango is no go

Well, I have to do my duty as a citizen so I will be going back to Norway for 6 months shortly, so in that time things will not change.|

My GF know what to do and will take care of biz until I am back.

Edited by Runian

Runian

Hydrating clay to make it pliable, talking about uses of clay with Tiya (out of frame) She grabbed a pound for her self to use as face mask and hair revitalizer :) the kid standing in the basin is lacking an artistic outlet and also want to have some, only place he had see it b4 was impressively enough in school, art's and craft's class I guess.

post-5686-0-48546300-1425896827_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Runian

Drying the salt, plate on the left is rock hard salt

post-5686-0-79562200-1426578236_thumb.jpg

All in all 1.7 Kg delish home made salt from about 50 liters of sea water, taken from the middle of the Cebu strait between Oslob and Panglao. I had 60 to start with but the stainless steel basin was of such bad QL I had to tip out the 10 L of rust colored water I started boiling. The rest I boiled down in a giant aluminium wok I borrowed. I looked up alu. and salt water first and it seams that it only corrodes in salt water if in contact with a steel or iron object, Alu. it says form a protective film on all exposed surfaces that has to be mechanically removed, so I deemed it safe to make the salt in it.

The next time I will disregard the last 5 liters of concentrate, as it contains enough minerals to discolor the salt.  NOW b4 u start saying this is not clean pls keep in mind that most of the salt you eat is made in open air vats left to sun dry, with no boiling. 

post-5686-0-41989200-1426578913_thumb.jpg 

if there is a repeate if the first pic, I have no clue why

post-5686-0-75061000-1426578184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Runian

Runian

Mod. Can you please change the name of this topic to "Journey to homemade bacon"

in advance:

much appreciated, Thanks

• Like 2

Dublin boy

I think it's great how members on this forum share ideas and remove barriers to eat decent food

Thank you for sharing it's making my mouth water

• Like 1

Runian

post-5686-0-13753800-1426689241_thumb.jpgpost-5686-0-12244400-1426689240_thumb.jpg

Attempted to cool the smoke with a loop of the alu. pipe as I but a pan of chips inside with a load of red hot charcoal, the fan stopped after 90 minutes. My clay smokemaker thingy is a total write-off as the clay started flaking of in addition to the expected cracking. I have been up and down Oslob and all the way to Boljoon looking for a drum to use as smokemaker thingy, but no joy. I will have a notch made to feed the gas line in, then use a burner under a pan of chips to make the smoke I guess. I took a picture of the meat but the flash + lite tube in the smokehouse took away the nice smoky color so I'll take another after it is done.

post-5686-0-83796900-1426689261_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Runian

We have bacon! 

post-5686-0-92282500-1426697933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Runian
  • Like 6

Headshot

Did you leave the skin on? Is that how it's normally done?