Sign in to follow this  
Runian

Makin' Bacon

SomeRandomGuy

Can u pls email me the plans for this runian. Will give it a shot

Runian

Can u pls email me the plans for this runian. Will give it a shot

There are no plans per say, I drew a box on a small piece of paper :) but I'll describe it to you and all interested parties 

a 32" x 32" x 5' box. + 4" legs and a few inches to slant the roof (  I think " means inches and ' means feet )

The frame is made in 2" x 2"  and bracing from 2" x 1/2" lumber, 2 sheets of 1/2" marine ply (lumber is 2" x 2", not 2by2's) . 

The slant in the roof is tall enough to fit a 4"x 4" chimney the panday spent the morning building, and what a fine piece of work it is!

But hey, don't all of u living on Cebu island build this and start making your own bacon, I plan to sell the deliciousness to you, ad in the appropriate forum is in the pipeline :D

• Like 3

cebubird

"hickory" smoked???? Haven't seen any hickory trees in Cebu-actually haven't seen any apple trees either.

But good luck anyway.

BTW, I have 4/5 bags of hickory chips/chunks I had sent over, and won't be using 'em.

• Like 1

Jeepney

Been smoking salmon/trout/bacon for years in Ireland,

always used old steel office lockers, lasting for many years.

Korean import shops should have them here, or if you know someone ....

• Like 1

Headshot

Been smoking salmon/trout/bacon for years in Ireland,

always used old steel office lockers, lasting for many years.

Korean import shops should have them here, or if you know someone ....

I think I would worry about there being lead in the paint of those metal lockers.

• Like 1

ozboy

Only works if you have the said statues in the room.... :good:

contraman

I think I would worry about there being lead in the paint of those metal lockers.

Most I have seen are not painted but powder coated.

If it was paint it would soon burn off anyway :(

• Like 1

Runian

"hickory" smoked???? Haven't seen any hickory trees in Cebu-actually haven't seen any apple trees either.

But good luck anyway.

BTW, I have 4/5 bags of hickory chips/chunks I had sent over, and won't be using 'em.

yeah not much of that growing here and I do not think coco or hardwood lumber suits smoking, so I buy it from a shop :) 

I'll take that Hickory of your hands if you'll let me :) 

Hy H

Most I have seen are not painted but powder coated.

If it was paint it would soon burn off anyway :(

Hmmmm....how would it "burn off" in a cold smoker??   :idontknow:

oscarpears

I am stupid. I thought that these were photo's of Smokey's house, i wondered where the lift was and felt rather sorry for the clown :)  

But your smokehouse looks real good, and so too the quality of the meat, you will make a lot of friends eager to try your hickory and apple wood smoked bacon.

Is it easy to find apple wood in Cebu, or will you have to have it sent from Baguio ?

• Like 2

Hy H

Is it easy to find apple wood in Cebu, or will you have to have it sent from Baguio ?

Donno if there is any apple wood on these islands. Went carbon markets to buy fruit an and saw these hundreds and hundreds of boxes of Chinese apples. 

I liked eating apples before but now just bit curious having heard about Chinese agriculture being not so chemically friendly. 

Runian
easy to find apple wood in Cebu

Ooooh I am frightened .. will talking about it jinx my supply !?! knock on wood (pardon the punt)

But not really, after researching smoking here in the phils I come across a guy in Manila area far ahead of me in the home smoking front, he told that forum

where to get it, asking everyone not to tell his wife as that would be the beginning of a Castle show, now I! am afraid to tell the true value of this information.

Well he told that forum where to find hickory, little did I know I'd find apple and mesquite. I just hope I got enough for a 7 hour run in the smoke house to give

the meat a deep smokey flavor with a hint of apple. 

And honey ko just got in the door from her biz trip to Cebu with a Kardashian-ass size burner so I can make my own salt! 

Edited by Runian
  • Like 1

Paul

For those of you on Facebook, this group may interest you, as it is concerning related topics in the Philippines. It is also run by a guy I personally know. Do check it out if you can: 

Getting Smoked - Facebook Group

ricardo123#

The last smoke house I made was from some old galvanized roofing a few concrete blocks and a rusty piece of 6 inch stove pipe. It lasted almost 4 years and probably would still be around if a bad wind had not come up and blew half of it away. It worked great too for all manner of pork and fish. Cut down wild apple trees as I needed them and used the wood green for smoking. I have a buddy down the road who uses an old style refrigerator.. he has used it for years and swears by it... 

• Like 2