Building My First House in the Phils

I think this is just Balay's hobby house.

No. It is my primary house.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balay

• Lee From Cebu

• fanboat

• SkyMan

Maybe you guys don't understand that I am building the house MYSELF.

Meaning I am actually doing the work. Yes I hire helpers but I have done everything from digging the foundation columms to welding the beams. I am a certified welder so I taught my helpers and checked all their welds. I mixed the cement with my cement mixer and built the walls with the help of my helpers. I am doing all the plumbing and electricity myself because I don't trust anyone else.

So far the only thing I outsourced were the windows.

You really can't compare the time it takes to build a house unless you too the EXACT plans and built the SAME exact house. I don't know of anyone else's skills when it comes to constuction but I think I am going at a decent time being totally hands on.

Yes if I was rich and could afford to hire a full on crew it could go faster, but that would also mean to MYSELF that I did'nt accually build the house. Anyone can hire people to build a house, but not many can do it on their own. Even more so in this heat and humidity. So unless you have acually done it yourself. You can't compare.

• 1 month later...
fred42
Any have any other thoughts on this or on the availability of copper?

Well..With one of the worlds largest copper deposits there in Toledo you would think there would be some availability of copper pipe in Cebu!!

Apparently not though.

• 2 months later...

a friend of mine who builds houses used these Wonder blocks, and so far his painters have been going back to this house redoing the cracks that show off every now and then for about 6 months, now he went back using the old chb on his new projects.

he gets his chb in mactan - Rigid Blocks, along that road going to plantation bay, they do machine blocks up to 700psi.

fanboat

Is PPR common or do you have to go to specific places to find it. Also, what's involved in fusion welding PPR. Same process as PVC?

Also wondering about the wonder blocks. Where are they available and what is the likely cost?

There are many placs selling PPR in Cebu, there is a place at Cebu Home Builders in Mandaue called Precision Point. It is on the right side when you come in. If you leave a deposit you can borrow the fusion tool and show you how to use it. It is easy. It is not the same as PVC, with PPR you need to heat the pipe and connector until the two melt together.

What are wonder blocks ?

I am certified USA...the product is used for under ground gas lines in ca.,with metal risers.

fanboat

Maybe you guys don't understand that I am building the house MYSELF.

Meaning I am actually doing the work. Yes I hire helpers but I have done everything from digging the foundation columms to welding the beams. I am a certified welder so I taught my helpers and checked all their welds. I mixed the cement with my cement mixer and built the walls with the help of my helpers. I am doing all the plumbing and electricity myself because I don't trust anyone else.

So far the only thing I outsourced were the windows.

You really can't compare the time it takes to build a house unless you too the EXACT plans and built the SAME exact house. I don't know of anyone else's skills when it comes to constuction but I think I am going at a decent time being totally hands on.

Yes if I was rich and could afford to hire a full on crew it could go faster, but that would also mean to MYSELF that I did'nt accually build the house. Anyone can hire people to build a house, but not many can do it on their own. Even more so in this heat and humidity. So unless you have acually done it yourself. You can't compare.

Cool Dude

Bet that house is tits when it is done.

Question-how do the rail guys put a chrome coating on the field installed railing?looks so bitchin!

ps...drink lots of water in that hot sun fella...don't want you to get heat stroke.

• 3 months later...
Any have any other thoughts on this or on the availability of copper?

Well..With one of the worlds largest copper deposits there in Toledo you would think there would be some availability of copper pipe in Cebu!!

Apparently not though.

All the air-conditioning is done with copper pipe. So there is a supplier...if any of the air-conidtioning companies won't give you the contact info to a supplier, maybe they could sell some directly.

It ain't cheap...I tell you that...we had to pay P180 per meter for the five air conditioners at my new office. That's 100-150 meter run for each AC