Building My First House in the Phils

- thank you Balay - a well written report - I will follow your progress with interest - cheers Mike smile.gif

Happy to have you back...I am a fellow builder myself...at it since 1972...love to come see it some time

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balay

• Lee From Cebu

• fanboat

• SkyMan

I just noticed this thread and wanted to clear up, and correct some misinformation.

1. Moderators do not have the authority to ban members here. Administrators only have that authority. Moderators, however, can "ban" a member from a topic, preventing that member from making further posts in a given topic. So, if you end up banned from this site, any one of four Administrators can do that. Those Administrators are: Alan S, Terp, Steve, and yours truly, Admin.

2. Someone in this thread stated, "... so much for free speech." This is a privately held, owned, maintained, and hosted forum. It is like a club offering private memberships. In order for a person to become a member here, they must agree to and abide with the owner's terms, conditions, and rules. If they do not, they cannot post here. So, this forum, as any privately held forum is, does not allow complete freedom of speech.

3. The Administrators and Moderators on this site perform their respective duties with no pay, little appreciation, and seldom having been thanked for performing those duties. Of course, I realize they aren't in these positions for those purposes anyway. Furthermore, that doesn't give other members the right to attack them. It certainly doesn't allow others to falsely accuse them of doing something they have no authority over.

4. I have gone through and edited the specific moderator's name from each and every post, because the information wasn't correct.

Now, let's stay on topic here or I will lock it.

• 3 weeks later...
SkyMan

DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT USE GI PIPE FOR PLUMBING... USE BLUE 1/2 " pvc for all in door plumbing

I am sorry, I disagree.

I would not even use blue pvc, use PPR pipe. I put a 300 liter Solar Water heater on the my roof. It is NOT recommended you use blue PVC when using a hot water heater that is capable of high temperatures.

As far as widows go, if your on a budget you can opt for steel casement windows (Citi Hardware 2,600 3 ftx3ft) more or less depending on the size. they come with built in window bars albeit not as good as custom made bars which are very expensive and can be pried off quicker then the casements can be cut..... Karl

All my windows frames will be custom made with aluminium powder coated to look like wood. I am NOT going to be putting bars on my windows because I don't feel like living in a jail. I have other security for that.

I too have been looking for an alternate to GI pipe. I don't like the way when the pressure is turned back on in the afternoon (the pressure goes very low in the mornings here) the faucets belch out a bunch of rust which I'm sure is there all the time, just in less visible amounts. Even if you never drink it you wash clothes, cars, dishes and shower with it. I haven't heard much good about the plastic pipe here either becoming brittle and eventually cracking. Maybe the PPR pipe you mentioned would be better.

My question though, is about good old copper pipe and fittings. I know it's propbably expensive here if available at all and I would probably need to be the one to cut the pipe and sweat the fittings and I would have to guard the copper closely until the house is done, but at least I would feel more confident in not having to rip out walls and floors to get to leaks every few years. Any have any other thoughts on this or on the availability of copper? Of course, I know the water supply to the meter is going to be GI but the more of it I can get rid of, the better, IMHO.

As for bars on the windows, I think I would reconsider. It sucks but that's the way it is. I have a high wall around my compound but I know that no height is enough to keep out a determined thief with a ladder. Glass or spikes can be defeated easily with a canvas or coat and guard dogs can be poisoned. As for security guards, you have to realize you are paying someone a couple bucks a day to watch over your worldly goods and at some point (if they aren't sleeping on the job) they may start thinking that your things would look better in their place.

I have grown used to the bars on this place though I wish there weren't so many. The design here is bars crossing at diagonal about 3 inch interval. I can't even squeeze my hand through some of them. I think if two out of three bars were removed I would still feel as safe. I don't see anyone squeezing more than their head through a diamond shaped hole 9 inches square.

I too have been looking for an alternate to GI pipe. I don't like the way when the pressure is turned back on in the afternoon (the pressure goes very low in the mornings here) the faucets belch out a bunch of rust which I'm sure is there all the time, just in less visible amounts. Even if you never drink it you wash clothes, cars, dishes and shower with it. I haven't heard much good about the plastic pipe here either becoming brittle and eventually cracking. Maybe the PPR pipe you mentioned would be better.

My question though, is about good old copper pipe and fittings. I know it's propbably expensive here if available at all and I would probably need to be the one to cut the pipe and sweat the fittings and I would have to guard the copper closely until the house is done, but at least I would feel more confident in not having to rip out walls and floors to get to leaks every few years. Any have any other thoughts on this or on the availability of copper? Of course, I know the water supply to the meter is going to be GI but the more of it I can get rid of, the better, IMHO.

As for bars on the windows, I think I would reconsider. It sucks but that's the way it is. I have a high wall around my compound but I know that no height is enough to keep out a determined thief with a ladder. Glass or spikes can be defeated easily with a canvas or coat and guard dogs can be poisoned. As for security guards, you have to realize you are paying someone a couple bucks a day to watch over your worldly goods and at some point (if they aren't sleeping on the job) they may start thinking that your things would look better in their place.

I have grown used to the bars on this place though I wish there weren't so many. The design here is bars crossing at diagonal about 3 inch interval. I can't even squeeze my hand through some of them. I think if two out of three bars were removed I would still feel as safe. I don't see anyone squeezing more than their head through a diamond shaped hole 9 inches square.

You may want to add a water filter to your system before it enters your house.

PPR is different from PVC.

PPR ( propylene random copolymer )pipe is durable and easy to work with. PPR will not corrode, as copper will over time,(all water is corrosive to copper). The corrosion dissolves into your potable supply adding heavy metals like tin, antimony, of course copper as well as sulfites and sulfates.

Copper pipe have more tendency of leaking after 10 years.

The time it takes you to cut and sweat copper will be longer than cutting and using the fusion welder for the PPR.

After installation recommended to do a hydro/pressure test.

I still don't want to live with bars on all my windows. I may just add them in the home theater room, but that is it. But bars can still be cut.

In addition to armed guards, on top of the 100 ft wall there will be an electric fence, motion detector alarms in the house, and doberman guard dog. So far everyone has been very respectful because they know I will shoot to kill.

Hi Balay,

Did you consider "Wonder Blocks" (are sort of Autoclaved Aerated concrete (AAC) ) accept not autoclaved as there is no factory who does this in the philippines.

They are easy to handle perfect sound and heat insulation. really like the product.

i am using these blocks for my office building as they insulate like AAC blocks much better then double wall with pu foam and because single wall construction a lot cheaper. the blocks are a bit more expensive then HB's but then again your sure to get a quality brick not buying sand 80% of the time. i would try to avoid the HB's as the quality is crap all over here.

cheers simon

SkyMan

Is PPR common or do you have to go to specific places to find it. Also, what's involved in fusion welding PPR. Same process as PVC?

True that bars can be cut but it takes equipment and a while to do. It would have to be a planned attack. But go with whatever your comfortable with.

Also wondering about the wonder blocks. Where are they available and what is the likely cost?

I figured I would start my first post in this section and share some information on my experience of building a house in the Philippines.

A little information about myself:

I am 38 years old.

I have a master electrical technical degree. I have a Master Electrical Contractors Licence, A Journeyman Inside/Outside Wireman Card. I have over 20 years experience working in residential, commercial and industrial contruction.

When buying a property, In my experience most of the best deals are not listed in the newspaper or on the Internet. I went to the area I want to live and asked the locals who owned what. I knew I wanted a property on the beach so I would ride my mountain bike down even the smallest paths that may lead to a beach.

After 3 years, I finally found the place that was owned by an older couple (German man with a Filipina wife) . He was a industrial tool salesman and amateur botinist. For over 20 years he collected plants and trees from all corners of the world, before the governments made so many restrcitions on what seeds or cuttings could be transported across international borders. He would come to the Phils, plant some seeds and cuttings, then go back to Germany for most of the year. The plants and trees thrived in the tropical Philippine conditions. So this property was like no other property I seen in all my findings.

There s a single story house, two small guest houses and a small workshop on the property. The property is surrounded by a 10 foot concrete wall. I live in one of the guest houses and my maid in the other while I am doing the contruction. The full time 24/7 guards stay in the workshop.

The roof of the main house was leaking or in parts eaten by termites so the first thing I did was rip off the entire roof. I made a deal with some of the locals to work for free in exchange for scrapping the galvinized and stainless steal.

I asked a few people to recommend an architect. First one wanted to bid the entire job so he was too expensive and did'nt understand I wanted to do it myself. The second wanted a percentage based on all the material. Third one the price doubled when it as time to sign the contact. Forth I found on my own based on being close and having a sign in front of his office. He charged me 25K pesos for all the plans I needed for a permit. ( Architectual, Structual, Electrical ) That included an engineering evulation to build a second story, 3D design and bill of estimate. I will post the Memorandum of Agreement I anyone needs one or is interested.

Building Costs so far:

P 25,000 Architect

P 3500 Relocation Survey

P 21,500 Processing and Payment of Building Permit.

DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT USE GI PIPE FOR PLUMBING...IT ROTS FROM THE INSIDE OUT AND STAINS YOUR TILES AND SINKS AS WELL AS RENDERING THE WATER NON-POTABLE. THEN...IN ABOUT 3-5 YEARS YOU WILL HAVE TO BREAK YOUR SHOWER WALLS AND OTHER CONCRETE THAT HIDES THE PIPE TO FIND\REPAIR LEAKS (ESPECIALLY IF YOUR USING A DEEP WELL PUMP). USE BLUE 1/2 " pvc for all in door plumbing and pressure test the lines before covering with concrete. Use plenty of unions and isolation valves in strategic locations to aid in future repairs and alterations. With this in mind keep as much of the lines and fittings accessible. As far as sink drains go, dont skimp, use the proper adaptor with rubber ring where the drain meets the 2" orange pvc drain piping. dont let the boys use any Fed Seal or Vulcaseal on ANY fittings .Use the good pvc drian traps with the easily removed cleaning cap (These traps are ussally white or grey in color , Citi Hardware or Cebu home Builders). Finally, don't allow them to CEMENT the toilet bowl to the deck !! Use anchor studs w/nuts and a wax ring otherwise you will probably have to destroy the toilet to the first time some idiot tries to flush some foreign object down the shitter. A good toilet can cost anywhere from 7 to 20 thousand peso ! And again NO DAM Vulca SEAL on the fittings, if they have a leak after installation, then they either used substandard materials or they cross threaded something. I have 7 houses and am VERY experienced with all these pitfalls and more. Spend a little more now or allot more later!!

As far as widows go, if your on a budget you can opt for steel casement windows (Citi Hardware 2,600 3 ftx3ft) more or less depending on the size. they come with built in window bars albeit not as good as custom made bars which are very expensive and can be pried off quicker then the casements can be cut..... Karl

Well said...g.i. pipe needs to be used only in exposed areas.....good advice here!

The OP is no longer a member here so I will just lock this thread since he can't answer.

I am back .........

I was fully prepared to post my personally experiences and knowledge to those who cared to read my posts all for FREE. I would of have given you in my opinion the do's and don'ts from what I already experienced and paid.

Then........... some moderator took a personal disliking to me and started to moderate my posts and even banned me. I don't even know why I was banned, but a warning or PM of what I did wrong could of been a courtasy for someone who was giving very valuable, acurate info for FREE.

Since he has a personal issue with me and in my opinion to Filipinos in general, the site lost a valuable contributor. Someone with a HUGE powertool collection ! He wanted to play GOD. Since I was banned for over a year the site missed out on day to day updates and a years worth of some of the most important subjects when moving to the Phils and making a substaintial lifetime investment !

Then I met Paul in person and we got on well, enjoyed the same drink and I asked him if I can come back. He graciously agreed and I will now ONLY help people who I like and also have something positive to contribute that I am interested in.

So you can Thank the moderator if I don't help you, and you can thank Paul if I do.

So why were you asking a fee to those who asked on the first page?

[quote name='scianna54' date='05 February 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1265334997' post='147064'

If you want to chat in private or want me to over see your project.

[quote name='scianna54' date='05 February 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1265334997' post='147064'

If you want to chat in private or want me to over see your project.

Is there an echo?

Is PPR common or do you have to go to specific places to find it. Also, what's involved in fusion welding PPR. Same process as PVC?

Also wondering about the wonder blocks. Where are they available and what is the likely cost?

There are many placs selling PPR in Cebu, there is a place at Cebu Home Builders in Mandaue called Precision Point. It is on the right side when you come in. If you leave a deposit you can borrow the fusion tool and show you how to use it. It is easy. It is not the same as PVC, with PPR you need to heat the pipe and connector until the two melt together.

What are wonder blocks ?

SkyMan

There are many placs selling PPR in Cebu, there is a place at Cebu Home Builders in Mandaue called Precision Point. It is on the right side when you come in. If you leave a deposit you can borrow the fusion tool and show you how to use it. It is easy. It is not the same as PVC, with PPR you need to heat the pipe and connector until the two melt together.

What are wonder blocks ?

Wonderblocks were mentioned by simsalabim, see post on previous page.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, new here and browsing all the threads excited, that's how I found this one - as I am also interested in building my place one day.

What seems funny is that the thread started back in 2008 and it seems the construction is still running, is that normal? Building a house takes 2 years or more? Or am I missing something here?

thx

What seems funny is that the thread started back in 2008 and it seems the construction is still running, is that normal? Building a house takes 2 years or more? Or am I missing something here?

thx

2 years is not long for a Filipino. Some houses are built in a generation. You may see a lot of houses that are built in parts as the money comes in. Planned 2nd floor columns with steel re bar sticking out.

The most amount of workers I had was 4. If I leave have to leave for more than a week I shut down the job if I am not able to be on site. I am hands on and do most of the work myself.

Yes I do think Filipinos are slow workers in general and will milk a job. That is why I have fired some and start over fresh when I feel they are seeding the job.

I am sure I could of built the house with more workers, but I don't mind because it is easier to pay it off, plan and source the supplies I want to use. I am not as rich. I decided to quit working at the age 38, so I don't have a pension.

I also decided instead of throwing all my money in this 1 project and loading it up with workers to finish it fast. I bought 3 other beach properties and 2 condos. So I also am working on my condos at the same time with 1 already completed and the other one in progress. I am also doing the work myself.

I will most likely be working on my house the rest of my life. If I finish it, then what ? What will I do to keep myself busy ? To be honest I enjoy working on it.

Hi everyone, new here and browsing all the threads excited, that's how I found this one - as I am also interested in building my place one day.

thx

No, most houses are finished within 6-months to a year. I think this is just Balay's hobby house.

I'll start building on my lots in Pacific Heights by the end of the year and should have both houses finsihed by second or third quarter 2011. Both will be built close to the same time with two separate crews. I will be utilizing steel I-Beam with over layed glass. So the construction will be simple and sturdy like most commercial buildings in the US and built fast.

I wonder how pissed the neighbors will be when they realize it's going to be an all glass facade with silver mirror tinting.

contermporary-glass-house-2.jpg