Building My First House in the Phils

mistaeric
I figured I would start my first post in this section and share some information on my experience of building a house in the Philippines.

A little information about myself:

I am 38 years old.

I have a master electrical technical degree. I have a Master Electrical Contractors Licence, A Journeyman Inside/Outside Wireman Card. I have over 20 years experience working in residential, commercial and industrial contruction.

When buying a property, In my experience most of the best deals are not listed in the newspaper or on the Internet. I went to the area I want to live and asked the locals who owned what. I knew I wanted a property on the beach so I would ride my mountain bike down even the smallest paths that may lead to a beach.

After 3 years, I finally found the place that was owned by an older couple (German man with a Filipina wife) . He was a industrial tool salesman and amateur botinist. For over 20 years he collected plants and trees from all corners of the world, before the governments made so many restrcitions on what seeds or cuttings could be transported across international borders. He would come to the Phils, plant some seeds and cuttings, then go back to Germany for most of the year. The plants and trees thrived in the tropical Philippine conditions. So this property was like no other property I seen in all my findings.

There s a single story house, two small guest houses and a small workshop on the property. The property is surrounded by a 10 foot concrete wall. I live in one of the guest houses and my maid in the other while I am doing the contruction. The full time 24/7 guards stay in the workshop.

The roof of the main house was leaking or in parts eaten by termites so the first thing I did was rip off the entire roof. I made a deal with some of the locals to work for free in exchange for scrapping the galvinized and stainless steal.

I asked a few people to recommend an architect. First one wanted to bid the entire job so he was too expensive and did'nt understand I wanted to do it myself. The second wanted a percentage based on all the material. Third one the price doubled when it as time to sign the contact. Forth I found on my own based on being close and having a sign in front of his office. He charged me 25K pesos for all the plans I needed for a permit. ( Architectual, Structual, Electrical ) That included an engineering evulation to build a second story, 3D design and bill of estimate. I will post the Memorandum of Agreement I anyone needs one or is interested.

Building Costs so far:

P 25,000 Architect

P 3500 Relocation Survey

P 21,500 Processing and Payment of Building Permit.

What method did you use to purchase the land? Are you filipino or married to one?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balay

• Lee From Cebu

• fanboat

• SkyMan

What method did you use to purchase the land? Are you filipino or married to one?

Dili ako Pinoy.

Dili ako kaminyo.

Mopalit ang utah sa Philippines sayon.

Anyone can open a holding company in the Phils and that holding company can own the property.

The company can be 40 percent foreign shareholder and 60 percent Pinoy.

A foreigner can be president of the company and can have complete control of the companies assets and business decisions.

The first thing I did was get a SPECIAL INVESTOR'S RESIDENT VISA (SIRV). Setting up the company the same as in any other country.

There are many people doing this... it is not like a big secret.

Balay

good information if I may ask why use Hardiplank sheet if termites are such a problem? I am presuming here that you are framing using timber.

Can you PM at :[email protected] as i have numerous more questions to ask.

thanks,

Richard

Balay

good information if I may ask why use Hardiplank sheet if termites are such a problem? I am presuming here that you are framing using timber.

Can you PM at :[email protected] as i have numerous more questions to ask.

thanks,

Richard

Wood is used for the form works for the poured concrete, then removed after.

I will use steel and concrete to frame the structure.

The first floor walls that are already there is concrete hollow block. The new and old support columns and footings are poured concrete with re bar.

The second floor columns will be 3 inch BI pipe schedule 40, The Girts, Rafters is built up angle steel. The second floor framing and C-purlins is steel.

But that is not to say that the humid sea air can't corrode the steel just as bad as termites can do to wood. That is why all the steel will first be painted with anti corossion rust converter, something that is often not done or done half arse in the Phils. All the exposed steel will be convered with red oxide metal primer then painted with quick dry enamal Boysen brand.

Wood will only be used with some of the finishing moldings and doors and kitchen Cabinets using Matimco Wood.

I am pretty much putting all the info you need here in this thread.

If you want to chat in private or want me to over see your project. I am going to have to charge you a consulting fee. I hope you understand.

Here are the exact SPECIFICATIONS

I.0 FORMWORKS:

2X2X10

Balay my questions related to the practicalities of obtaining the SIRV,

I realise your time is important as your actually building so thanks for what you have contributed, should you post anything regarding medical advice I too may have to charge you a consulting fee:)

Balay my questions related to the practicalities of obtaining the SIRV,

I realise your time is important as your actually building so thanks for what you have contributed, should you post anything regarding medical advice I too may have to charge you a consulting fee:)

You can Google SPECIAL INVESTOR'S RESIDENT VISA (SIRV) for all the info.

I will keep you in mind for my medical needs as a back up. I have immediate family who are respected doctors and nurses, I grew up in a medical family... I grew up reading the PDR to self medicate and I am my own diagnostician. Medicine was always a topic around the dinner table my whole life.

I have moved out of Cebu so I hope its ok me posting. Now up in Biliran Province. I paid 340.000 for a 4 bedroomed house on 900 sq meters of land. Entirely of block construction. Have since secured an adjoining 4000. If I decide on another project in future I could sell it as a whole. I am not next to the water. Just under a kilometer up the mountain with sea views. I had already learned a severe lesson of living by the sea with time spent living in Moalboal.

I have finished off a house that the previous owners were happy with but didnt have the money to do anything else. This work was outside rendering, ceilings, floor tiles and painting. A high wall and ramp to drive the car down were additional. In all it cost very little to do. Hand picked Masons, carpenters, labourers etc. All done by my parter who is on her third house and knows where to go for materials and who to employ. I did my fair share of work too! In all it worked out quite cheap.

I had already learned a severe lesson of living by the sea with time spent living in Moalboal.

I have lived near the sea now for 3 years. I have seen the sea air rust a gate to nothing in a year.

All metal has to be painted with anti rust corrosion, and high quality primer and paint MUST be used.

Can you share some of the do's and don'ts ?

• 3 weeks later...
Very interesting thread - thanks---

Ok maybe I missed it - but how many squaremeters are you planning to have under roof?

Here are the floor plans

Aprox 10 meters x 10 meters - 2 floors.

• 2 weeks later...

WELL DONE!! YOU have ARRIVED and do things like the rest of us long term Philippines residents. Isn't it GREAT. Bill

I figured I would start my first post in this section and share some information on my experience of building a house in the Philippines.

I am 38 years old.

I have a master electrical technical degree. I have a Master Electrical Contractors Licence, A Journeyman Inside/Outside Wireman Card. I have over 20 years experience working in residential, commercial and industrial contruction.

When buying a property, In my experience most of the best deals are not listed in the newspaper or on the Internet. I went to the area I want to live and asked the locals who owned what. I knew I wanted a property on the beach so I would ride my mountain bike down even the smallest paths that may lead to a beach.

After 3 years, I finally found the place that was owned by an older couple (German man with a Filipina wife) . He was a industrial tool salesman and amateur botinist. For over 20 years he collected plants and trees from all corners of the world, before the governments made so many restrcitions on what seeds or cuttings could be transported across international borders. He would come to the Phils, plant some seeds and cuttings, then go back to Germany for most of the year. The plants and trees thrived in the tropical Philippine conditions. So this property was like no other property I seen in all my findings.

There s a single story house, two small guest houses and a small workshop on the property. The property is surrounded by a 10 foot concrete wall. I live in one of the guest houses and my maid in the other while I am doing the contruction. The full time 24/7 guards stay in the workshop.

The roof of the main house was leaking or in parts eaten by termites so the first thing I did was rip off the entire roof. I made a deal with some of the locals to work for free in exchange for scrapping the galvinized and stainless steal.

I asked a few people to recommend an architect. First one wanted to bid the entire job so he was too expensive and did'nt understand I wanted to do it myself. The second wanted a percentage based on all the material. Third one the price doubled when it as time to sign the contact. Forth I found on my own based on being close and having a sign in front of his office. He charged me 25K pesos for all the plans I needed for a permit. ( Architectual, Structual, Electrical ) That included an engineering evulation to build a second story, 3D design and bill of estimate. I will post the Memorandum of Agreement I anyone needs one or is interested.

Building Costs so far:

P 25,000 Architect

P 3500 Relocation Survey

WELL DONE!! YOU have ARRIVED and do things like the rest of us long term Philippines residents. Isn't it GREAT. Bill

What are you talking about "ARRIVED" ?

What are you talking about "ARRIVED" ?

I meant that foreigners have lived here for over ten years but still pay too much for construction costs like labor, building materials, foodstuffs and react to Filipino common behavior traits as if they expected Filipinos to be like citizens of their home country. And I consider such foreigners as having NEVER ARRIVED merged their lifestyle and situations and spending habits with local Filipino cultural norms.

• 4 months later...
Expat Apartments

I am 38 years old.

Building Costs so far:

P 25,000 Architect

P 3500 Relocation Survey

DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT USE GI PIPE FOR PLUMBING...IT ROTS FROM THE INSIDE OUT AND STAINS YOUR TILES AND SINKS AS WELL AS RENDERING THE WATER NON-POTABLE. THEN...IN ABOUT 3-5 YEARS YOU WILL HAVE TO BREAK YOUR SHOWER WALLS AND OTHER CONCRETE THAT HIDES THE PIPE TO FIND\REPAIR LEAKS (ESPECIALLY IF YOUR USING A DEEP WELL PUMP). USE BLUE 1/2 " pvc for all in door plumbing and pressure test the lines before covering with concrete. Use plenty of unions and isolation valves in strategic locations to aid in future repairs and alterations. With this in mind keep as much of the lines and fittings accessible. As far as sink drains go, dont skimp, use the proper adaptor with rubber ring where the drain meets the 2" orange pvc drain piping. dont let the boys use any Fed Seal or Vulcaseal on ANY fittings .Use the good pvc drian traps with the easily removed cleaning cap (These traps are ussally white or grey in color , Citi Hardware or Cebu home Builders). Finally, don't allow them to CEMENT the toilet bowl to the deck !! Use anchor studs w/nuts and a wax ring otherwise you will probably have to destroy the toilet to the first time some idiot tries to flush some foreign object down the shitter. A good toilet can cost anywhere from 7 to 20 thousand peso ! And again NO DAM Vulca SEAL on the fittings, if they have a leak after installation, then they either used substandard materials or they cross threaded something. I have 7 houses and am VERY experienced with all these pitfalls and more. Spend a little more now or allot more later!!

As far as widows go, if your on a budget you can opt for steel casement windows (Citi Hardware 2,600 3 ftx3ft) more or less depending on the size. they come with built in window bars albeit not as good as custom made bars which are very expensive and can be pried off quicker then the casements can be cut..... Karl

Yes.

I made a new thread here : House Renovation - Adding 2nd Story

Interesting topic. I have read all of the questions and comments, unlessi missed something, I did not see anything concerning a sanitation system. Do you have sealed tanks that have to be pumped? Is there a drain field system? We built in Danao City, spent a lot of money, and to be honest, not sure what we ended up with. The drawings show quite an elaborate tank system, but I am not sure what is actually under the ground, but I do know that my wife"s family informed her that it would cost p4000 to pump the tanks, does that sound possible?