Building My First House in the Phils

I figured I would start my first post in this section and share some information on my experience of building a house in the Philippines.

A little information about myself:

I am 38 years old.

I have a master electrical technical degree. I have a Master Electrical Contractors Licence, A Journeyman Inside/Outside Wireman Card. I have over 20 years experience working in residential, commercial and industrial contruction.

When buying a property, In my experience most of the best deals are not listed in the newspaper or on the Internet. I went to the area I want to live and asked the locals who owned what. I knew I wanted a property on the beach so I would ride my mountain bike down even the smallest paths that may lead to a beach.

After 3 years, I finally found the place that was owned by an older couple (German man with a Filipina wife) . He was a industrial tool salesman and amateur botinist. For over 20 years he collected plants and trees from all corners of the world, before the governments made so many restrcitions on what seeds or cuttings could be transported across international borders. He would come to the Phils, plant some seeds and cuttings, then go back to Germany for most of the year. The plants and trees thrived in the tropical Philippine conditions. So this property was like no other property I seen in all my findings.

There s a single story house, two small guest houses and a small workshop on the property. The property is surrounded by a 10 foot concrete wall. I live in one of the guest houses and my maid in the other while I am doing the contruction. The full time 24/7 guards stay in the workshop.

The roof of the main house was leaking or in parts eaten by termites so the first thing I did was rip off the entire roof. I made a deal with some of the locals to work for free in exchange for scrapping the galvinized and stainless steal.

I asked a few people to recommend an architect. First one wanted to bid the entire job so he was too expensive and did'nt understand I wanted to do it myself. The second wanted a percentage based on all the material. Third one the price doubled when it as time to sign the contact. Forth I found on my own based on being close and having a sign in front of his office. He charged me 25K pesos for all the plans I needed for a permit. ( Architectual, Structual, Electrical ) That included an engineering evulation to build a second story, 3D design and bill of estimate. I will post the Memorandum of Agreement I anyone needs one or is interested.

Building Costs so far:

P 25,000 Architect

P 3500 Relocation Survey

P 21,500 Processing and Payment of Building Permit.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Balay

• Lee From Cebu

• fanboat

• SkyMan

mikejwoodnz

- thank you Balay - a well written report - I will follow your progress with interest - cheers Mike :D

Mattfromnz

Thanks for the info. I find it very helpful to find out actual costs as you go through the process. I too eagerly await your next post of progress.

Cheers and I hope everything goes well for you.

- thank you Balay - a well written report - I will follow your progress with interest - cheers Mike :D

Thanks Mike.

I will add threads as I go.

Edited by Balay
Thanks for the info. I find it very helpful to find out actual costs as you go through the process. I too eagerly await your next post of progress.

Cheers and I hope everything goes well for you.

Here are the estimated costs and materials.

SUBJECT : BILL OF MATERIALS

REBARS

a.) 10mm dia. Def. Bars 70 17,500.00 b.) 16mm Def.Bars 60 39,000.00 c.) 3" B.I Pipe Sched. 40 11 33,000.00

_________

CONCRETE WORKS

a.) cement Portland 100 20,000.00 b.) sand 10 6,000.00 c.) gravel 20 12,000.00

_________

BUILT UP BEAM

a.) 3 x 3 x 1/4 angle bar 54 72,900.00

b.) 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle bar 51 48,450.00

c.) 2 1/2 x 1/4 angle bar 15 12,225.00

d.) 2 x 4 c-purlins 48 40,800.00

e.) 1 1/2 x 1/4 13 5,850.00

f.) Fuji welding road 4 480.00

g.) 3/4 hardiflex board 26 23,400.00

h.) Tekscrew 1 1/2 x 3/8 1300 1,300.00

i.) 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle bar 3 2,340.00

j.) 1 1/2 x 3/16 Angle bar 3 1,200.00

k.) rust converter 5 1,250.00

l.) red oxide metal primer (boysen) 5 2,250.00

m.) quick dry enamel (boysen) 4 1,800.00

________

ROOF FRAMING

a.) 1/4 x 4 x 8 hardiflex board 15 5,250.00

b.) 1/2 x 4 x 8 hardiflex board 15 9,750.00

c.) 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle bar 40 31,200.00

d.) C-Purlins 2 x 4 45 38,250.00

e.) 1 1/2 x 3/16 angle bar 43 17,200.00

f.) Fuji welding road 1 120.00

g.) P.E foam installation 10mm thk 4 14,000.00

h.) P.E foam installation 5mm thk 4 11,200.00

_________

WALL FRAMING @ 2ND FLOOR

a.) vertical wall studding 3 x 3 x 10 180 36,000.00

b.) insulation P.E foam 10mm thk 5 17,500.00

double side foil

b.) insulation P.E foam 5mm thk 5 14,000.00

double side foil

c.) 1/2 x 4 x 8 hardiflex board 80 52,000.00

d.) 3/4 hardi screw 4000 4,000.00

_________

CEILING WORKS

SECOND FLOOR

a.) double purring 40 6,000.00

b.) 5/32 x 1" blind rivets 1000 1,000.00

________

GROUND FLOOR

a.) wall angle 50 4,000.00

b.) double purring 70 10,500.00

c.) 5/32 x 1" blind rivets 2000 2,000.00

________

TOTAL 615,715.00

I will order 80 percent to start.... and then see what else I need as I go along.

The cost of Steel and Cement has been increasing like crazy. So I would like to order as much as I can now. But I don't want to order too much and be left with scrap.

Bet_Busta

Balay, if you won't mind:

1. Which town or City?

2. Is it a beach front or just near the beach.

3. How much per sq. m. is the land?

Thanks in advance.

Be sure the sand is clean and the gravel is crushed, not round. Don't forget tie wire, lots of 2x2 coco lumber for scaffolding and plywood for forms, and nails. I built my house just north of Consolacion. The beach would have been nicer like your place. How much per sqm was your land? How old was the roof (how long did it take for the termites to destroy it)?

Mike in Cebu

Edited by M.Morey
Balay, if you won't mind:

1. Which town or City?

2. Is it a beach front or just near the beach.

3. How much per sq. m. is the land?

Thanks in advance.

1. Lilo-an ( 12 kilometers North of Cebu City )

2. Beach Front - 100 square meters of sand fronting my property and 100 square meters reclaimed land that was made from the sea wall the German built. Over the years the sand built up so the beach cuts in so the property next to me is much smaller because of it.

Sun rises directly in front of the beach.

3. I paid 6M cash for 1250 square meters.

Yes there are cheaper beach properties, I bought this property based on the work the old German put into the plants and trees. Undeveloped beach properties are mostly bare with a some coconut trees. Other developed properties I looked at had houses I did'nt like or where 2 nice to tear down. Or I may not have liked the general area based on the neighbors. Something that can vary unless you are in a posh sub division.

This property also had the 2 some what new guest houses am able to live in with running water and electricity to live in while I build the main house.

Most of the walls and floor of the first floor of the original house is usable.

I have seen many properties from Danao to Consolation.

I looked for over 3 years and this property was the most unique.

Be sure the sand is clean and the gravel is crushed, not round. Don't forget tie wire, lots of 2x2 coco lumber for scaffolding and plywood for forms, and nails. I built my house just north of Consolacion. The beach would have been nicer like your place. How much per sqm was your land? How old was the roof (how long did it take for the termites to destroy it)?

Mike in Cebu

Yeah I have seen a lot of local structures built in the Phils that use sand and hollow block using sea sand and it just broke apart in my hand. I have already dug down 6 feet for the in ground pool and some of the sand will be good to use for finishing after I screen it.

I have a lot of usable lumber from the old roof I can use for forms.

I borrowed some metal scaffolding from a guy I met while out on my boat. I have always been strict on scaffolding and ladder safety. I have seen a lot of falling accidents over the years. Even a short fall can be dangerous.

I have technically 1250 square I paid 6M ... so 4800 per sqm. There is 200 sqm in addition of sand beach that is fronting my property. So I have trees and plants on it that are old and grown.

To be honest I am not sure how old the roof was. I am guessing 6 to 10 years. The German bought the property 20 years ago. The house was small to start then was added on twice to add rooms.

When I broke apart some of the old columns it looked like the relative of the Filipina wife who was the one who built the house while they where in Germany ripped them off by making the columns out of wood and covering them in concrete. I am guessing he charged the German for all concrete. No one would have never known because they looked solid. From what I understand from the old care taker the old German was a stickler for quality so I doubt he would put wood in the columns.

I would try to use as less wood as possible when building the structurel foundation and roof in the Phils. The termites here are crazy.

Use Concrete, Steel and Cement board as much as possible.

Kiln dried and treated wood is ok for finishing work.

Edited by Balay
justmike99

It is great to read about your house. I am planing to bould a house myself sometime in the next years.

And it is good whit all the information that I can get.

Please poste more pic of the site when you start boulding.

Since the peso is all over the place.

I may as well add in when I did exchange the 6 Million Pesos I got 50 pesos to 1 USD.. so I guess I also think of it as I paid $120,000 usd.

It is great to read about your house. I am planing to bould a house myself sometime in the next years.

And it is good whit all the information that I can get.

Please poste more pic of the site when you start boulding.

In a few days I will post my power tool inventory. So you may want to plan on getting a lot of tools that will make the job go faster. I am amazed at how much is done here with so little.

My guess is since labor is considered cheap people don't mind spending more time than buying the speed tools.... for example... yeah I could have my workers use a hammer and pinoy chisel ( rubber hose with a nail ).. or I can go out and buy a demolition hammer. ( Something I did today ) and get the job done in less time.

I sent over 10 balikbayan boxes of all my power and hand tools. I have most everything needed and more. Yeah they are 110 volts but no big deal since I bought a transformer. I have contacts continue to send me balikbyan boxes of things I need but I have to wait months so I have to plan well.

From my research there are some tools that are hard to find or are way more expensive than what can be found in other countries. Belmont tools has a lot of good quality name brands. Of course people will tell you that you can find it cheaper in Carbon Market... but I don't feel like dealing with the traffic and wasting my time to save very few pesos. A construction workers gets paid 300 pesos a day and if they can save 300 pesos to go all the way to Carbon. They will do it. But I would rather spend my time of actual work. So I got a Belmont Tool Privileged Customer Card.

I sent over 10 balikbayan boxes of all my power and hand tools. I have most everything needed and more. Yeah they are 110 volts but no big deal since I bought a transformer. I have contacts continue to send me balikbyan boxes of things I need but I have to wait months so I have to plan well.

You might want to be sure to tag all the plugs bright red or orange 110 so you or someone else does not plug it in directly. I say this because after 14 years of always doing the correct thing, I made a mistake and burnt out my charger for my rechargeable drill and could not find a replacement in Cebu and had to buy a hammer drill to finish my home improvements.

BTW, very interesting info, I look forward to seeing more. Thanks. ;)

Edited by Mr. Lee