Sign in to follow this  
Steven Mactan

Questions About Pressure Tank

RogerDat

I'm guessing that the municipal water supply here Mactan is so hard with minerals

Limestone is what we got on Mactan. Thats rust caused by salty water, rust from old pipes will show up from the tap, thoese parts are what is rusted. I have a plastic impeller on our pump (cheep P3500 Mactan Trade Center)

What part do you live in?

Steven Mactan

Limestone is what we got on Mactan. Thats rust caused by salty water, rust from old pipes will show up from the tap, thoese parts are what is rusted. I have a plastic impeller on our pump (cheep P3500 Mactan Trade Center)

What part do you live in?

I'm between the Maribago and Pajac barangays, and I know that the ground water here is so saline that it is worthless basically worthless.  However, I can't imaging that the Metro Cebu Water District is supplying us with well water?  Well, whatever the cause, you're right, there is a lot of salt in our municipal water lately, and I noticed some pitting inside the impeller housing as I was cleaning it up with a wire wheel.  I guess I'll keep an eye on it for now, and maybe keep an extra plastic impeller on hand in case it happens again. I'm just happy that the motor wasn't fried.

easy44

Plain tap water should not be so corrosive as to rust your pump that way, unless it's saline.

As I said.

• Like 1

loy

Good job Steve. Many years ago i was a electric motor rewinder and also worked on pumps and repair electric motors. The electric motor on your pump is a single phase motor. The motor winding consist of a running and a starting winding. In the starting circuit is a capacitor and a centrifugal switch. The centrifugal switch has a electrical contact which operate or opens when the motor reaches 75% of the rated speed. This is done by centrifugal force. (spinning action) Many time the starting contacts gets worn or dirty and does not make good contact. If so that will prevent the motor from starting and it would just hum. If over fused the motor winding will over heats and eventually burn. Sometimes if the centrifugal switch fail to operate then that will burn the starting winding. The starting winding is just for starting. Defective capacitor could also cause the motor to burn.

You probably knows all this stuff anyway but i figure i would just mention this here as it may help someone in the future.

• Like 2

Steven Mactan

Good job Steve. Many years ago i was a electric motor rewinder and also worked on pumps and repair electric motors. The electric motor on your pump is a single phase motor. The motor winding consist of a running and a starting winding. In the starting circuit is a capacitor and a centrifugal switch. The centrifugal switch has a electrical contact which operate or opens when the motor reaches 75% of the rated speed. This is done by centrifugal force. (spinning action) Many time the starting contacts gets worn or dirty and does not make good contact. If so that will prevent the motor from starting and it would just hum. If over fused the motor winding will over heats and eventually burn. Sometimes if the centrifugal switch fail to operate then that will burn the starting winding. The starting winding is just for starting. Defective capacitor could also cause the motor to burn.

You probably knows all this stuff anyway but i figure i would just mention this here as it may help someone in the future.

Actually, I know just enough about electric motors to get myself into trouble, and that's about it.  I kinda knew a little bit about the starting circuit, and the start capacitor, but when I took this thing apart, I really couldn't find  anything that looked like a centrifugal switch anywhere inside it.  I tried asking a couple of people about it, but they just said that it didn't have a centrifugal switch, but they couldn't really tell me anything else about how it worked.  Hmmm.....?     

loy

Actually, I know just enough about electric motors to get myself into trouble, and that's about it.  I kinda knew a little bit about the starting circuit, and the start capacitor, but when I took this thing apart, I really couldn't find  anything that looked like a centrifugal switch anywhere inside it.  I tried asking a couple of people about it, but they just said that it didn't have a centrifugal switch, but they couldn't really tell me anything else about how it worked.  Hmmm.....?     

Well it 's a long time since i last worked on a motor, more than 30 yrs. Maybe they improve on the design i am not sure. There as to be a way to disconnect the starting winding after the motor starts. There was one design of electric motor which is called repulsion, induction. Repulsion start. induction run but i am not too familiar with that as i never worked on one. As i said it has been a long time.

• Like 1

Steven Mactan

Well it 's a long time since i last worked on a motor, more than 30 yrs. Maybe they improve on the design i am not sure. There as to be a way to disconnect the starting winding after the motor starts. There was one design of electric motor which is called repulsion, induction. Repulsion start. induction run but i am not too familiar with that as i never worked on one. As i said it has been a long time.

I happen to be digging in some plastic storage boxes this afternoon, when I came across the manual for my pump.  (I didn't even know that I had this manual in my possession.)  I tried to take a digital photo of the pump motor assembly diagram, and also the parts list.  The model number for my pump is DKM 50, but the diagram also applies to DKM 80 as well.  I figured I would post this online in case someone else has problems similar to mine.

post-16808-0-60754000-1429951608_thumb.jpg

post-16808-0-29722300-1429951645_thumb.jpg

loy

This looks like a single phase motor. Usually there are two wires for the main winding and two wires for the starting winding. I see a capacitor. I have never seen a single phase motor with only a capacitor wired across the running winding only. I am not familiar with this type of motor. How many wires are in the junction box coming from the stator. 2 or 4 wires?

• Like 1

Woolf

This looks like a single phase motor. Usually there are two wires for the main winding and two wires for the starting winding. I see a capacitor. I have never seen a single phase motor with only a capacitor wired across the running winding only. I am not familiar with this type of motor. How many wires are in the junction box coming from the stator. 2 or 4 wires?

Here you have several samples,

motors with only run capacitor

motors with only start capacitor

motors with run and start capacitor

https://www.google.com/search?q=single+phase+motor&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aFw7VenQJaiP7AaZ04GYBA&ved=0CB0QsAQ#tbm=isch&q=single+phase+capcitor+motor&imgrc=sTEocs-fOatudM%253A%3BV8VwzpBbXgXoVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.fastonline.org%252FCD3WD_40%252FCD3WD%252FELECTRIC%252FGTZ021E%252FGIF%252FP109.GIF%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.fastonline.org%252FCD3WD_40%252FCD3WD%252FELECTRIC%252FGTZ021E%252FEN%252FB309_9.HTM%3B599%3B294

• Like 2

Steven Mactan

There were four wires.  

loy

Thanks for the illustration Woolf. Was not even aware there are so many different wiring configurations for single phase motors. Did most of my work with three phase motors. 

RogerDat
However, I can't imaging that the Metro Cebu Water District is supplying us with well water?

Go to the road that has the gun ranger that you can shoot an M1 on it. That road has a desalanation plant on it that uses well water.

All water originating on Mactan is well water as we have no fresh water rivers, Pilipog River would be pure salt water if they started pumping the water out of it.

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1

M.C.A.

The reason why I have the setting so low, is because I don't trust the pipe around my house, which is a combination of PVC and PPR.  When it's working properly it doesn't really cycle that rapidly, and it is just my wife and I living in the house, so it doesn't get that much of a workout.  

I had all sort of pipe issues and mixing PVC with metal had to stop so I go rid of all the PVC piping, we don't drink the water, we do cook with it though and occasionally make ice.  I tried one of those smaller electric pumps, boy was it a drag, so I kept my 1 HP pump, does the trick.