Sign in to follow this  
manly4eva

CFO Counselling

SkyMan

So if my wife got her CFO done earlier this year (2015) before she received her passport. Is she ok or does she need some re-certification done?

Thanks

I'm assuming she did the CFO to get the passport in her married name?  Is she getting a spousal visa?

After she gets her visa she will have to go back to CFO to get the sticker in her passport.

That's only after she gets a immigration visa (spousal/fiance).  If she gets a tourist visa they will not give her a sticker and she'll just have  to keep the certificate with her passport.

Edited by SkyMan

ex231

That's only after she gets a immigration visa (spousal/fiance).  If she gets a tourist visa they will not give her a sticker and she'll just have  to keep the certificate with her passport.

According to their website tourist visa holders aren't required to attend the seminar.

http://cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2390:gcis-faq-no-1&catid=110:frequently-asked-questions&Itemid=858

SkyMan

According to their website tourist visa holders aren't required to attend the seminar.

http://cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2390:gcis-faq-no-1&catid=110:frequently-asked-questions&Itemid=858

That is correct but filipinas married to foreigners must attend to get their passport in their married name.  If they then get a tourist visa they don't get the sticker but have to carry around the stupid certificate.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3

colemanlee

That is correct but filipinas married to foreigners must attend to get their passport in their married name.

Correct, the only reason Maline and I are even doing the CFO is to get her passport in her married name

• Like 1

ex231

That is correct but filipinas married to foreigners must attend to get their passport in their married name.  If they then get a tourist visa they don't get the sticker but have to carry around the stupid certificate.

I'm sure there is some logic in that policy but it escapes me.

Just curious, but let's say the wife gets a Philippine passport in her married name and then obtains a US tourist visa. My limited research indicates that there is no marital status on the visa so how would they know if the name on her passport was her maiden name or not? Unless they also ask to see her birth certificate which maybe they do but I haven't heard of it.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/sample-usa-non-immigrant-visa.html

bargeman

The CFO Seminar? That's where the nuns tell them about how their western husbands are going to rape, beat, and torture them, prior to burying them in the backyard. 

They attempt to fill the girls' heads full of all sorts of shite.

Don't forget about "and then claim the insurance money".

colemanlee

The CFO Seminar? That's where the nuns tell them about how their western husbands are going to rape, beat, and torture them, prior to burying them in the backyard.

Yea, thats in Cebu, talked to a girl here yesterday who showed Maline the certificate she has to have attached to the passport...she is leaving on a tourist visa to the states next week to visit her husband in Co. She told Maline a lot of the same that has been said here...dont go to Cebu, the Nuns will make your life miserable, go to Manila, its very straight forward, just have to attend the seminar...no bs attached...between this and other forums Im on, the same topic pops up with the same results...unless you have to go to Cebu for some reason...DONT

Salty Dog

Yea, thats in Cebu, talked to a girl here yesterday who showed Maline the certificate she has to have attached to the passport...she is leaving on a tourist visa to the states next week to visit her husband in Co. She told Maline a lot of the same that has been said here...dont go to Cebu, the Nuns will make your life miserable, go to Manila, its very straight forward, just have to attend the seminar...no bs attached...between this and other forums Im on, the same topic pops up with the same results...unless you have to go to Cebu for some reason...DONT

No Nuns teaching it in Cebu when my wife went 18 months ago.

She did say they were rough on the young ones getting fiance visas.

What she found strange is that several had never met the guy in person.

I'm pretty sure that's a requirement to get the visa.

Edited by Salty Dog

SkyMan

dont go to Cebu, the Nuns will make your life miserable, go to Manila,
Had I known it was such a hassle at the time I'd have had her go to Manila but then 3 trips into the city was still cheaper than 1 to Manila.  If you live in Duma or farther, Manila would be the way to go.  And it's not the nuns any more but whoever they have doing it now learned from the nuns so really it hasn't changed.

Just curious, but let's say the wife gets a Philippine passport in her married name and then obtains a US tourist visa. My limited research indicates that there is no marital status on the visa so how would they know if the name on her passport was her maiden name or not? Unless they also ask to see her birth certificate which maybe they do but I haven't heard of it.
I'm pretty sure she'd have to show a BC (and MC if married) to get a pp.  During the pp process they say, "since you have a foreign husband you need to go do the CFO and bring back the certificate to get you pp."
  • Like 1

Chas

This post is to add to this Thread http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/80668-cfo-counselling/ which contains useful stuff (should it be pinned?).

A family friend in NCR was going to Singapore with her Western bf and asked me if she needed a CFO Certificate.  I had given her useful advice before gleaned from this 'esteemed' Forum. (her bf has not discovered Google?)

To put this in context this lady is early 40s, very good job, owns two houses and I am guessing has plenty of money in the bank.  She does not fit into my idea of somebody who is being trafficked and I sent her the above link and said I thought it very unlikely she would be asked for the CFO certificate, she did not qualify for the sticker in the passport and I doubted it was worth the effort.  She has been abroad before with female friends.

Not the answer she wanted.  This lady is OCD.  She likes all her ducks in a row, regulation distance apart in new pressed uniforms and in triplicate.  If she received a memo saying from 1st April all unmarried Filipinas going through immigration should hop, she would hop!  So she then contacts a cousin in the CFO office.  Should she attend the seminar and get the certificate and gets the answer "Yes, No, Maybe",  ring this number and talk to a Counselor.  The Counselor advised yes as the Immigration Service was increasing their efforts to combat trafficking and there was an increased chance she could be refused boarding without the Certificate.  The cynic in me thinks the Counselor was protecting her job, but never mind.  I have asked her to let me know if she is asked for the Certificate by immigration and I will report back.

She has now attended the seminar.  12 places, 9 turned up, 8 ladies and one man.  The man was married to a Filipina who was now a citizen of the country she was living in.  All married except for family friend.  One lady had been refused boarding twice before she and her husband had realised she needed the CFO sticker!  One lady was in her 50s, the rest 20s or 30s. I guess if you are first you get out early, but maybe this is a stupid assumption!

They needed to know partners parents names and partners address.  Partners educational standard.  No financial information about the partner was requested.

She said the general lectures and discussion were sensible.  Concentrated on being sure they knew their partner (bit late as they were married!), did they know his/her finances, were they intending to work or would they be fully supported and keep house. The importance of having Medical cover and ensuring they were signed up for that by their partner. What to do in cases of abuse, contacting the police.  They were all given the email address of the Counselor so they could contact her from their new country for advice.

I cannot say much about the one to one as it was not typical.  Turns out the Counselor was godmother to the Cousins kids so no problems!

On reflection, since the Certificate is valid for life and can be converted to the passport sticker after marriage, I would suggest if you are taking your gf abroad and you think you will end up getting married, get your gf to do the seminar now as it might save you hassle and at least it gets it out of the way.

I hope some find this useful.

Chas

SkyMan

since the Certificate is valid for life and can be converted to the passport sticker after marriage,
My wife had to get the CFO to get her passport in her married name.  She cannot get the sticker because she doesn't have an immigrant visa, only a tourist visa.

johnboy999

If my girlfriend goes to Manila to attend the CFO seminar and get her certificate, can she then collect her sticker at a later date in Cebu when her visa is granted? She's got to go up to Makati anyway to get her TB test done as that is the only place in the Philippines that is accredited by UK Visa & Immigration, so I was thinking it might be worth getting the CFO seminar done there while she is up there.....

shadow

If my girlfriend goes to Manila to attend the CFO seminar and get her certificate, can she then collect her sticker at a later date in Cebu when her visa is granted? 

Yes!

• Like 1

SkyMan

Yes!

Are you sure?  I mean the way this place is it wouldn't really shock me if the Cebu CFO people would say, "Oh, this certificate is from Manila so you have to go back to Manila to get the sticker as they are the only ones that can verify the legitimacy of your certificate.  Or you can take the seminar again here, p400 please."

shadow

Are you sure?  I mean the way this place is it wouldn't really shock me if the Cebu CFO people would say, "Oh, this certificate is from Manila so you have to go back to Manila to get the sticker as they are the only ones that can verify the legitimacy of your certificate.  Or you can take the seminar again here, p400 please."

I'm sure that several of our clients have done it that way without a problem. BUT, I'm also sure some people are incapable of completing anything here.