Headshot

Also she said maybe they want money.....has anybody had the impression that a few pesos would make it easier??

CFO is on the fourth floor of the building. The guard is on the first floor at the building's main entrance and will not let you past. Maybe your wife would try some pesos to change the attitude, but mine wouldn't, so there's no way I would know if they take bribes. The CFO used to be run by an order of nuns (in plain clothes), so they had no line of accountability if they had questionable practices (extra requirements), but I seriously doubt that an attempted bribe would have gone over well. The government has taken over CFO supposedly, but it is very possible the same people are running the day-to-day operations. It certainly doesn't sound like they have changed their attitudes much (if at all).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ex231

• SkyMan

• manly4eva

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The CFO Seminar? That's where the nuns tell them about how their western husbands are going to rape, beat, and torture them, prior to burying them in the backyard.    They attempt to fill the girls'

It is my understanding they will not put the sticker in the passport until after an IMMIGRANT visa is issued. Why I have no idea. But CFO gives participants a small (easy to lose) piece of paper as pr

Not 100% sure if you are taking the piss out of me or the coconut ? 

Posted Images

I had to provide a Certificate of No Impediment from the NZ embassy when my fiancee did her CFO.

Then they wouldn't issue her certificate because I am an NZ citizen but resident in Australia and I don't have anything to say I am resident in Australia, because I don't need anything - that made their noses bleed - she had to wait until she got the visa for Australia then went back and the gave her the certificate and sticker for Australia.

manly4eva

Ok so the missus does the CFO thing today. .Afterwards she gets the certificate , so she then asks do I need to show this to immigration at the airport. .Answer. ..No just your visa and passport,immigration wont want to see this because you are only on a tourist visa...Ha Ha ...can you believe this place. ..Many girls asked her why she was doing this as they never did it for a tourist visa before. .Also one girl was told to come back again and didn't get her certificate because she didn't know her boyfriend's education history. Whether he finished high school or went to collage.

• Like 1
colemanlee

Got a friend lives close to Manila. ask him about the CFO there..he said, professional, no games, no extra papers and no surprises...and no horror stories about bs....at least thats what his wife told him...

• Like 1
manly4eva

She went to manila. . They are the idiots that told her she had to do it..

SkyMan

What I cant understand is if your married, you have a NSO certified marriage licence, then why would you need the Affidavit in Lieu?  As far as I know once the NSO gives you the certified copy your home free....at least its been that way so far for my wife and I....sorry to ask so many questions but my wife has to do all this nonsense soon and as we are in Tacloban I want to make sure she has all the required documents

You've lived here an awfully long time to be trying to use logic.  You're very stubborn.  I explained it back here:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/80668-cfo-counselling/?p=992531

Bring every piece of paperwork you used to get married and anything else you can think of like copies of your passport etc.  You're coming from a long way and you don't want them sending you back for something you could have brought.  Yes, I know an NSO MC means you must have had the other stuff.  So?

• Like 1
SkyMan

Four years ago, the policy was that the husband couldn't go into the CFO offices. That is still the case, so my wife had to trek up the stairs to the fourth floor by herself.
This is the only intelligent thing thing they do.  They wouldn't 3 minutes if husbands were allowed inside.

My wife and I went to the CFO in Cebu today. She went through the CFO ringer four years ago, so we knew she wouldn't need to do that again. In fact, we weren't really sure she would need anything, since she originally took the seminar for a spousal visa, but now she has a tourist visa. So anyway, we just wanted a new sticker because she now has a new passport. We were surprised by what actually happened.

Four years ago, the policy was that the husband couldn't go into the CFO offices. That is still the case, so my wife had to trek up the stairs to the fourth floor by herself. When she got there, armed with all of the necessary documents, she told them she needed a new sticker for her new passport. They refused, and simply said she should also take her old passport with her when she travels. In other words, she will have to carry two passports. At such time when this passport expires, it is possible she may need three passports, since her visa is good for ten years, but her passport is only good for five years. Then again, we may be moving to the US before then anyway, so maybe we will avoid the situation where she needs to carry three passports.

I wanted to know if they would allow the sticker and certificate to be removed from the old passport and stapled in the new passport, but the answer was no. By then, my wife was mad at me because I asked her to go back up to ask more questions after they originally refused her. I think I know why bureaucrats are such assholes in the Philippines. It is because they get away with it. Rather than questioning their decisions and forcing them to defend or revise their positions, Filipinos just take their decisions as gospel and live with whatever stupid circumstance the bureaucrats leave them in.

Thanks for posting this.  I won't even bother trying to get a sticker in her new pp then.  And I know I'll be living on the edge but I'm going to remove the certificate from her old pp and restaple it in the new one.  F'em.

shadow

Got a friend lives close to Manila. ask him about the CFO there..he said, professional, no games, no extra papers and no surprises...and no horror stories about bs....at least thats what his wife told him...

All problems our clients have encountered regarding CFO have been in Cebu, we have never an issue with Manila CFO.

My wife took her's in Manila...Waray problems.

manly4eva

She had no problems in Manila doing the counseling. But after multiple calls there and I sent 2 emails and all came back with the same response. .You MUST do it..Only to be told after completion that she won't be asked for the certificate at immigration because she has a tourist visa..Thats what pissed me off.They don't even know their own laws. The only extra paperwork they asked for were her court documents for her annulment, which she had with her.Not sure why they need to know my education level either buy they did, and my mother's maiden name. Plus the all important question she received in the interview , when you do immigrate after your annulment will you send money home to your family. .I had a chuckle with her about this after because I told her they would ask..

USMC-Retired

Look for a tourist visa its not required. Not even if you are the one she visits. Just apply common sense to the law if she had a tourist visa to see Aunt Lyla would she need it or would we discuss it. No we would not. However that being said many people in a position to apply thier will insert judgement, legal or otherwise. Common sense in the PH is not common at all. She does not need it till they ask who she is visiting and then stop her illegally. Because they belive with no proof she is immigrating and marrying. Why else would a Filipina get on a plane to visit a foriegner. She should go to the class and this will eliminate worries keeping the reciept with the passport.

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
newbster

So what's the summary of how to do CFO in Cebu? Is this right? 

1) Take marriage cert, birth cert. If they ask for husband's taxes tell them it's private between him and his government so you can't bring those.

2) memorize where husband lives, went to uni, where he works

3) Make appointment online

4) Show up 7:45am day of appointment and plan for full day there

I read somewhere that if 25 or under you need letter from parents - is that right? Or does a parent have to accompany?

FYI My wife's been asked to go there just to get her passport - there is no Visa. I guess once she does this then if Visa comes later the CFO checkpoint won't need to be re-done?

Thanks

Edited by newbster
miles-high

So what's the summary of how to do CFO? Is this right? 1) Take marriage cert, birth cert. If they ask for husband's taxes tell them it's private between him and his government so you can't bring those. 2) memorize where husband lives, went to uni, where he works 3) Make appointment online 4) Show up 7:45am day of appointment and plan for full day there   I read somewhere that if 25 or under you need letter from parents - is that right? Or does a parent have to accompany?   Thanks

Here’s the summary of what my GF went through at Manila on March 30, 2015.

She told me it was easier to get an appointment in person on site, if you live closer to their office.

Docs needed: Show your passport and visa (K-vasa in her case) and a copy thereof to file, the printout of your appointment. You would need to fill out an application but no other docs needed.

Time for the seminar: 9am to 12noon. 11 attendants (all K’s) when she took it.

Subject matters:

First, introduction by each attendee to explain where, how, when met, how long known, plans for the future about 1 to 3 minutes each.

Then, the presenter gave them how to go abroad (what to take, what not to take), airline luggage limitations (number, weight, restricted/prohibited items, etc.).

Some case studies re previous cases (only bad cases ;)), then cultural lectures re differences in their intended countries, what to expect, what  not to expect, etc.

Finally, one to one session, about 5 minutes each (by one interviewer), similar questions re where, how, when met, relationship, etc. You are expected to bring a photo album of pics taken together.

Paid the fee of PHP400, got a sticker and out by 12noon.

cebulover2000

We had to do a days education with a room full of 20 year old couples. They talked about birth control n kids......The teacher after a bit smiled and told us we could leave.....

That was the marriage seminar from the church.

cebulover2000

My wife and I went to the CFO in Cebu today. She went through the CFO ringer four years ago, so we knew she wouldn't need to do that again. In fact, we weren't really sure she would need anything, since she originally took the seminar for a spousal visa, but now she has a tourist visa. So anyway, we just wanted a new sticker because she now has a new passport. We were surprised by what actually happened.

Four years ago, the policy was that the husband couldn't go into the CFO offices. That is still the case, so my wife had to trek up the stairs to the fourth floor by herself. When she got there, armed with all of the necessary documents, she told them she needed a new sticker for her new passport. They refused, and simply said she should also take her old passport with her when she travels. In other words, she will have to carry two passports. At such time when this passport expires, it is possible she may need three passports, since her visa is good for ten years, but her passport is only good for five years. Then again, we may be moving to the US before then anyway, so maybe we will avoid the situation where she needs to carry three passports.

I wanted to know if they would allow the sticker and certificate to be removed from the old passport and stapled in the new passport, but the answer was no. By then, my wife was mad at me because I asked her to go back up to ask more questions after they originally refused her. I think I know why bureaucrats are such assholes in the Philippines. It is because they get away with it. Rather than questioning their decisions and forcing them to defend or revise their positions, Filipinos just take their decisions as gospel and live with whatever stupid circumstance the bureaucrats leave them in.

It is like that anywhere, even the US. I had a US work visa for years in my passport (long time ago before 9/11) and had to bring that one even if it was already expired. Don't see a big deal there.