Sign in to follow this  
manly4eva

CFO Counselling

Headshot

My wife and I went to the CFO in Cebu today. She went through the CFO ringer four years ago, so we knew she wouldn't need to do that again. In fact, we weren't really sure she would need anything, since she originally took the seminar for a spousal visa, but now she has a tourist visa. So anyway, we just wanted a new sticker because she now has a new passport. We were surprised by what actually happened.

Four years ago, the policy was that the husband couldn't go into the CFO offices. That is still the case, so my wife had to trek up the stairs to the fourth floor by herself. When she got there, armed with all of the necessary documents, she told them she needed a new sticker for her new passport. They refused, and simply said she should also take her old passport with her when she travels. In other words, she will have to carry two passports. At such time when this passport expires, it is possible she may need three passports, since her visa is good for ten years, but her passport is only good for five years. Then again, we may be moving to the US before then anyway, so maybe we will avoid the situation where she needs to carry three passports.

I wanted to know if they would allow the sticker and certificate to be removed from the old passport and stapled in the new passport, but the answer was no. By then, my wife was mad at me because I asked her to go back up to ask more questions after they originally refused her. I think I know why bureaucrats are such assholes in the Philippines. It is because they get away with it. Rather than questioning their decisions and forcing them to defend or revise their positions, Filipinos just take their decisions as gospel and live with whatever stupid circumstance the bureaucrats leave them in.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

manly4eva

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying either as I don't speak ozzie lol .. 

What I meant though was that Dong, who said it was the "law" would probably be hard pressed to give you the specific law because probably the one he is referring to is the one he just made up special for the occasion. And arguing with Dong would be about as productive and rewarding as arguing with a coconut. 

Ahhh now I understand and fully agree with you..They make up these laws on a whim in all places.Just the slightest bit of power and they go crazy.

P.S ...........Yes we Aussie's do speak a little funny..Well actually we speak normal its all the other countries that have accents and funny lingo's.   :D

• Like 2

enoonmai

A few weeks ago my wife made the 2 hr trip to Cebu City to attend the seminar because she needed to change the passport name to her married name. She made the appt online but still had to “register” at 8am for the 2pm seminar and “counseling”. After waiting around for hours then sitting through the seminar she went to the one-on-one interview. The woman refused to give her the certificate because she didn’t have the “Affidavit in Lieu…” document. That is not one of the listed required documents, it falls under “additional documents as required by counselor”. The “counselor” also told her she could furnish my “ITR” as proof (of what I don’t know). I found out ITR is Income Tax Return. I told her that I would not give my US tax returns to these people, it was private and confidential information between me and my government. It took a few days but we got a “certified true” copy of this Affidavit from the municipality where we were married and she again made the trip to Cebu. When she hands her the doc the same woman says “where’s the ITR”? She told her I refuse to give them that. The woman says “ok” and gives her the cert. Post # 46 is correct, it is absolutely shameful.

USMC-Retired

Headshot I wonder if you kept the orginal reciept issuing you the sticker if they can refuse to then give you a new sticker.

Salty Dog

Additional document as required means what ever document you don't happen to have with you.

My wife had all her documents, so they told her they needed to see my passport.

• Like 3

colemanlee

the “Affidavit in Lieu…” document.

What document is that, never heard of it, in lieu of what???

USMC-Retired

Because certian countries do not have a national database for marriage. You are required to obtain a affivdated in lieu of a certifcate of no martiage. This requirement is for marriage to Filipino not for any other reason normally.

colemanlee

A few weeks ago my wife made the 2 hr trip to Cebu City to attend the seminar because she needed to change the passport name to her married name. She made the appt online but still had to “register” at 8am for the 2pm seminar and “counseling”. After waiting around for hours then sitting through the seminar she went to the one-on-one interview. The woman refused to give her the certificate because she didn’t have the “Affidavit in Lieu…” document. That is not one of the listed required documents, it falls under “additional documents a

What I cant understand is if your married, you have a NSO certified marriage licence, then why would you need the Affidavit in Lieu?  As far as I know once the NSO gives you the certified copy your home free....at least its been that way so far for my wife and I....sorry to ask so many questions but my wife has to do all this nonsense soon and as we are in Tacloban I want to make sure she has all the required documents

USMC-Retired

I carried a blue folder every where I went with every possible document they could want. From the Simple, reciepts for various documents and the documents, to the complex, tax transcripts for 3 plus years. I found it was the only way to be prepared. CFO asked to see my divorce decree. I had it real handy for them to view.

• Like 2

shadow

What I cant understand is if your married, you have a NSO certified marriage licence, then why would you need the Affidavit in Lieu?  As far as I know once the NSO gives you the certified copy your home free....at least its been that way so far for my wife and I....sorry to ask so many questions but my wife has to do all this nonsense soon and as we are in Tacloban I want to make sure she has all the required documents

This falls under the "other documents as may be required by the counselor" category. Best do as USMC suggested, send every possible thing you have with her. Few have much trouble with the CFO, but they can and do make it very difficult sometimes, especially if there is a large age gap, the girl is very young, the man has many divorces, criminal history, etc...

enoonmai

She had the NSO certified marriage license and that should have been all that was required. She was only getting the name changed in the passport, this was not an immigration to another country or anything like that.

Someone else commented they single out very young girls - she is her 30s. The friend she went with was late 20s, practically the same age as her husand (also an American) and she was also required to present the Affadavid by a different "counselor". She had it, mine didn't. I've been through a lot of the usual crap with these dysfunctional govt acronyms but this place is in a whole other category.

• Like 1

colemanlee

My wife just read this thread, and came up with a good question...I assume that most of the responses have been about the Cebu CFO, however you can go to Manila and get the same thing....as it seems that Cebu is a little bit confrontational does anybody have any experience with the Manila office?  Could it be less trouble there...

Also she said maybe they want money.....has anybody had the impression that a few pesos would make it easier??

USMC-Retired

No they are pretty straight forward. Just be prepared that is what people are saying. You go without documents they may ask or may not. However you know worse case. Most get through without issue. I did though they did ask for a document I had.

• Like 1

Headshot

Headshot I wonder if you kept the original receipt issuing you the sticker if they can refuse to then give you a new sticker.

We had ALL of the original documents (including receipts). They refused.

shadow

She had the NSO certified marriage license and that should have been all that was required. She was only getting the name changed in the passport, this was not an immigration to another country or anything like that.

Someone else commented they single out very young girls - she is her 30s. The friend she went with was late 20s, practically the same age as her husand (also an American) and she was also required to present the Affadavid by a different "counselor". She had it, mine didn't. I've been through a lot of the usual crap with these dysfunctional govt acronyms but this place is in a whole other category.

They single out for a variety of reasons, those reasons being known only to them. A whim is plenty of reason, the law mandates one must comply. Give a self important Filipino some power and...