Sign in to follow this  
I <3 Cebu

Fishing in Moalboal

I <3 Cebu

Last time I was there I quickly learned of the shallow 100m (ish) shelf along the shore - making shore fishing pretty shithouse, beyond that it drops suddenly into fairly deep looking water. My instincts tell me it should be good fish'n.

Some googling has shown big trevally etc caught around Cebu so surely im in with a shot!

Has anyone fished the deep water at Moalboal, what did you catch, what technique & gear used ?

My plan is to bring a telescopic rod over with some decent braid line, buy some squid,prawns (shrimp),& small fish, obtain a small boat/ kayak & bottom fish (try to). Will bring some lures too for shits n giggles, epic fail ?

Wolfpack

Last time I was there I quickly learned of the shallow 100m (ish) shelf along the shore - making shore fishing pretty shithouse, beyond that it drops suddenly into fairly deep looking water. My instincts tell me it should be good fish'n.

Some googling has shown big trevally etc caught around Cebu so surely im in with a shot!

Has anyone fished the deep water at Moalboal, what did you catch, what technique & gear used ?

My plan is to bring a telescopic rod over with some decent braid line, buy some squid,prawns (shrimp),& small fish, obtain a small boat/ kayak & bottom fish (try to). Will bring some lures too for shits n giggles, epic fail ?

I did some bottom fishing...caught a lot of the same types of fish I found in Tampa, Florida...

Red Grouper...Snapper...

most interesting catch last time, 1/2 a grouper...something much bigger came along and took a bite of it...have not fished there since...clearly, I was in need of a BIGGER boat!!!

I was using shrimp for bait...deep sea fishing pole and gear...can't recall the specifics, just stuff I had picked up/borrowed at a place that did diving...

• Like 3

I <3 Cebu

Sounds promising!

davedude

Well I am curious, have you been successful? I am asking because I would want to do the same thing.

Flats fishing along the Texas coast can be extremely productive, redfish, flounder, mullet in large quantities to be had there. Why would Moalboal flats be barren?

Dave Dude

goggleye

From what i can find out anywhere shallow or closer to shore near people in the Philippines is over harvested down to the small ones they dry and fry for breakfast.  There are fish now in the shallows of the gulf states because regulations prevent the overharvest  -  a few years ago during the blackened redfish craze  - the population of redfish went way down - the harvest was restricted and the population has grown back  

there are a few places fishery reserves have been protected and fishing improved in the Phils but for the most part there are too many people harvesting too many fish.

• Like 2

davedude

Well yes that is what I suspected. But so ok, that means nothing makes it's way to the shallows? Nothing? There is alot of deep water all around the Philippines.

That is why I was curious about the off the shelf in deep water aspect of the OP. Got to be something there, yes?

Dave Dude

Jimone

You should be using shrimp only to catch the bait you need, then a bigger hook and a nice big slab of what ever you got with the shrimp. The larger fish will be feeding on the smaller ones so that is the right bait.....  

Bill H

It's not just Moalboal, the entire straights of Talon are over fished.  There are hundreds of men between Badian and Ronda who go out to fish every night they are not too drunk to do it or they had a lot of rice today, so they aren't hungry enough to go out.There is almost no regulating of the fishing industry here, excepting perhaps the Baragay Captains who control some water off their coast.  If you want to fish there you must pay their fee.  Dynomite fishing is highly illegal, yet it continues virtually every day.  You didn't think all these guys walking around with one arm lost the arm playing soccer did you?

davedude

Thanks for the replies!

I used dynamite doing seismic survey work back in the day. Quarter pound sticks, 2.5 pounds tied together for each shot. Gawd I am glad I never got to close to that stuff when it went off.

Bill all those hundreds of guys are still coming home with something. Would there be any guide to the types of fish caught and at what depth? The Tanon strait is approximately 200 meters deep more or less, will there be species of fish beyond the capabilities of the locals guys that can be caught with equipment they are not likely to have?

I can put some of the latest high definition fishfinder/chartplotter tech  on whatever boat I end up with to give me an edge......

Are there downloadable depth maps for the seas around Cebu?

Dave Dude

I <3 Cebu

Double post

Edited by I <3 Cebu

I <3 Cebu

Hi, i went out once for about 1.5hrs in the evening. Tried squid & what seemed to be small mackrel - from local market.

Not one single bite, not even nibbles from small stuff, i was only about 10m off the shelf, very deep, was casting far & fed line down for like 5min before reaching bottom.

i wanted to go out more but have an infected cut, couldn't even swim in the pool :-(

A merikano i spoke to said he has seen Barracuda & other big fish in the area.

The bro in law goes spear fishing & always does well, not monsters but plate size..

i'm not giving up, will try again next visit, left my little cheapy boat down there with BIL.

Really is different to aus style, especially the geography, the shallows are pretty much barren/ over fished to the max

Edited by I <3 Cebu
  • Like 2

davedude

Hope you have better luck next time out I<3!

I caught one undersize white bass during the spawn here on Rowlett creek. Went out several times. Apparently the fish did not make it that far up the creek where I was this year, they were spawning right at the mouth of the creek. I understand well getting stumped fishing.

I found some interesting information on Philippines fishing, maybe a little bit dated but still some useful info. It's a UN report.

http://www.fao.org/fi/oldsite/FCP/en/phl/profile.htm

Dave Dude