Sign in to follow this  
BaronBelleBestboy

U.S. Tax Preparation

BaronBelleBestboy

Does anyone know where I can go in Cebu to get my State side taxes filed? Looking to pay less than $400 that it would cost if I file online.

ex231

I'm not sure about your tax situation but would TurboTax work?

Nangulo

If you can't or won't do them online, download and print the forms you need and then snail mail them.  It worked for me last year.

CardiacKid

You might want to look at this as an alternative. http://www.taxact.com/ My daughter used them and was pleased. YMMV I have not used them. Caveat Emptor 

`

Edited by CardiacKid
  • Like 1

Thalcoozyo

would TurboTax work

I'm a firm believer in TurboTax.  Been using it for years and I'm just a regular guy.  You need not be a tech wizard, nor do you need to be an accountant, in order to get thru your return process.

TurboTax can be purchased and downloaded online. No disk necessary.  If you have income, house payment interest, a few investment stock sales, and you make a donation or two to the local charity... then all of these are covered in the Premier version of TurboTax.  They were giving free upgrades from Deluxe to Premier, but am not sure about it now. Deluxe is about $35, and Premier is about $55-ish. Shop around... you get various prices at different places, but I've found Costco has the best.

I live in a State without any income tax, so I don't do State returns... but I suspect the State return process is just as easy in TurboTax as the Federal return.

• Like 2

mistaeric

I'm a firm believer in TurboTax.  Been using it for years and I'm just a regular guy.  You need not be a tech wizard, nor do you need to be an accountant, in order to get thru your return process.

TurboTax can be purchased and downloaded online. No disk necessary.  If you have income, house payment interest, a few investment stock sales, and you make a donation or two to the local charity... then all of these are covered in the Premier version of TurboTax.  They were giving free upgrades from Deluxe to Premier, but am not sure about it now. Deluxe is about $35, and Premier is about $55-ish. Shop around... you get various prices at different places, but I've found Costco has the best.

I live in a State without any income tax, so I don't do State returns... but I suspect the State return process is just as easy in TurboTax as the Federal return.

I was a Turbo Tax user aso a couple of years ago,but when I acquire rental property I got stuck in the middle of my return and got frustrated. Plus I paid like $19.99 to file electronically. I use FreeTaxUSA now and its easier to understand for me plus its 100% free. I filed on Jan 25th and my refund hit my bank on Feb 2nd. Thats a record time for me!

• Like 1

Chris24

I am a financial person by education and experience, and I thought I was pretty good at taxes until I discovered  FreeTaxUSA.   It is not really free as you pay for your state return, but it can handle a lot of tax situations, you can complete and e-fiie your federal and state returns right there online, and the cost is around $9.95 as a one-time charge for the state return.  I have used that site for myself and my extended family for the past 4-5 years with complete satisfaction.

• Like 1

mistaeric

I am a financial person by education and experience, and I thought I was pretty good at taxes until I discovered  FreeTaxUSA.   It is not really free as you pay for your state return, but it can handle a lot of tax situations, you can complete and e-fiie your federal and state returns right there online, and the cost is around $9.95 as a one-time charge for the state return.  I have used that site for myself and my extended family for the past 4-5 years with complete satisfaction.

Im from Texas, no state tax  :yahoo:

BaronBelleBestboy

Wish I had looked into these options 10yrs ago.... Been using palazzo cpa... $400... Now that I'm no longer working for KBR or Fluor in AFG can't be wasting money to be lazy.. I literally only had to scan them my LOA and w2 with any receipts for deductions and they did the rest.

SkyMan

Im from Texas, no state tax  :yahoo:

I live in the RP.  No state tax.   :yahoo:

wacobay

You might want to look at this as an alternative. http://www.taxact.com/ My daughter used them and was pleased. YMMV I have not used them. Caveat Emptor 

`

Baron, I , of course, don't know your specific tax situation, but I used T

wacobay

`

Baron, I don't of course, know your specific tax situation, but I used TaxAct free version during the three years I was in the Philippines and had no problems. Good luck.

NOSOCALPINOY

This year, Turbo Tax E-filed our Federal and State tax joint returns for "Free" using IRS's simple 1040 form,

because we did not have anything to itemize or to declare. Can't get any simpler or cheaper than that. 

SkyMan

This year, Turbo Tax E-filed our Federal and State tax joint returns for "Free" using IRS's simple 1040 form,

because we did not have anything to itemize or to declare. Can't get any simpler or cheaper than that. 

If you don't have any taxable income, why file at all?  And especially state?

sugbu777

If you don't have any taxable income, why file at all?  And especially state?

He didn't say he didn't have any taxable income, just no itemizations. State depends on the state claimed as home etc. May not apply in his situation.

Here's who has to file according to IRS Publication 17 Tax Guide 2014 for Individuals

Table 1-1.2014 Filing Requirements for Most Taxpayers

IF your filing status is...AND at the end of 2014 you were...*THEN file a return if your gross income was at least...**

single under 65 $10,150

65 or older $11,700

married filing jointly***under 65 (both spouses) $20,300

65 or older (one spouse) $21,500

65 or older (both spouses) $22,700

married filing separately any age $ 3,950

head of household

under 65 $13,050

65 or older $14,600

qualifying widow(er) with dependent child

under 65 $16,350

65 or older $17,550