Yeah, it's a convenience vs efficiency choice.  Having lived with a diesel generator for 4 months, I would be inclined to go with the convenience.  With a big gas bottle you wouldn't be out there filling the tank every day, under all weather conditions, and there is a lot to be said for that.

I would definitely consider running a large LPG generator in the Philippines, if there were large volume tanks available in country, as there are in the US. Unfortunately, you don't see any like the ones below, with the exception of the first one.

20 pound tank

20.jpg

100 pound tank

100.jpg

125 gallon tank

125.jpg

250 gallon tank

250.jpg

330 gallon tank

330.jpg

500 gallon tank

500.jpg

1000 gallon tank

1000.jpg

You can't even find propane on Negros Oriental, or at least I haven't been able to. Gasul, yes, propane no. I've been told Gasul is 70% propane and 30% butane. Not as clean and not as efficient as 100% propane.

• Like 1

I have seen plenty of the 100 lb. cylinders in the back of the big lpg delivery trucks, so I know they are available.  I'm sure the restaurants are not using the small tanks.  100 lbs. would last quite a while, I would think?

• Like 2
Thalcoozyo

Got any feedback after your various experiences? (If you had to do it again, what would you do different?)

Which brand might be best for price vs reliability?

Hope to stay less than 35-45,000php.. realistic?

gas or diesel?

Is it obnoxiously noisy? (How close to the house do you run it?)

I'm looking more for info on what to buy, and why. (not the size to buy)

Davaoeno

Got any feedback after your various experiences? (If you had to do it again, what would you do different?)

Which brand might be best for price vs reliability?

Hope to stay less than 35-45,000php.. realistic?

gas or diesel?

I'm looking more for info on what to buy, and why. (not the size to buy)

the OP said "  Any opinion on what size I need?  "        So hopefully you can understand why people suggested a size ??

If your looking to buy in Cebu then coming from sm mall towards the SRP tunnel. There is a place on the right that sells yanmar & kubota diesel generators. Don't know much about prices but they appear to be surplus & when I last went by the stock seems to be always changing. There are a few places in the reclamation area but I don't know about them offhand. Good luck in your search

Thalcoozyo

If your looking to buy in Cebu then coming from sm mall towards the SRP tunnel. There is a place on the right that sells yanmar & kubota diesel generators

This is very helpful.  Should you catch a name or cell or facebook contact info, then such would be appreciated.

(32k Chinese made diesel 6kVA)

Yes it is obnoxiously noisy. We have it as far away as possible but the trouble is the neighbours don't like it either! 

I don't think you can solve the noise problem (for a whole house generator) under 40k.

Thalcoozyo

Yes it is obnoxiously noisy. We have it as far away as possible but the trouble is the neighbours don't like it either! I don't think you can solve the noise problem (for a whole house generator) under 40k.

I think someone suggested having a little "Filipino-style maintenance" done on it and having a motor scooter muffler added on to the exhaust outlet. Think this will work?

I know a generator will never be silent... but might a muffler tone it down enough so that it is no longer obnoxious, making it only slightly bothersome?

colemanlee

I think someone suggested having a little "Filipino-style maintenance" done on it and having a motor scooter muffler added on to the exhaust outlet. Think this will work?

I know a generator will never be silent... but might a muffler tone it down enough so that it is no longer obnoxious, making it only slightly bothersome?

I had a auto muffler modified for my Generator....truthfully it did change the tone but it was still obnoxious...when I build my house in the province later this year I will put the generator in a house of its own insulated for sound as good as I can, as far away from my main house as possible.  Where I am now I cant get it far enough from the house because of the size of the lot....I can only suggest, get one and see for yourself....

• Like 2
Thalcoozyo

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Since this topic doesn't have anything to do with sex, or p*orn, or politics, or scamming, or killing foreigners... then there's no real interest from anyone.

Sigh... such is LinC.

Other than an unknown business on an unknown street just down the way from SM, to buy name-brand and not Chinese junk, and that a generator will be noisy as hell... there hasn't been any real info provided.

No one has any real input on gas vs diesel?

Fuel storage issues... which goes bad the quickest? gets water it in? best type of container to store fuel in?

Or who in Cebu or So. Leyte might have the best prices, or selections?

Or where used units might be found in Cebu? (and what to watch out for, if used)

Or how much, and what kind, of maintenance typically goes into keeping it operable?

Or any tips on the wiring from the unit to my breaker box in the house? (perhaps something that, in hindsight, may have been better to do)

I'm needing some real-world advice here, gents.

I ignored your first condescending post (when you basically posted the same thing the second time). But, I now find the below (quoted) post out and out insulting.

Since this topic doesn't have anything to do with sex, or p*orn, or politics, or scamming, or killing foreigners... then there's no real interest from anyone.  

Sigh... such is LinC.

I, and OTHERS here, have posted what they felt was honest and helpful advice. If you find that advice to be lacking, or beneath you in some way, then go to a specific electric generator forum and ask them. Because, this thread is now going to be closed. I am closing because you are unappreciative of the effort we, as a collective, had been doing - attempting to help you with your questions. 

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

I guess you did. Go back to bed and try again.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Any opinion on what size I need?

Really, we'd only run it for 3-4 hours at a time (I think).  24/7 usage is highly unlikely.  

Got any feedback after your various experiences?  

Which brand might be best for price vs reliability? (hope to stay less than 35,000php)  

Do I need gas or diesel?  

Each of the above questions were answered in replies in this very thread. You may wish to consider going back to school again - Reading and Comprehension being the course of study necessary.

• Like 3