Thalcoozyo

Hey, been reading the forum for generator info.  Many comments are interesting and seem "commone sense" as to typical usage issues.

I'm in So. Leyte.  Brownouts are frequent; 3-4 hours all the way to 1-2 days are common.  We need something for the house (is wired for a generator):

water well pump
full size refrig x 1
TV, and the Signal dish antenna
some house lights
some floor fans
no aircon

Any opinion on what size I need?

Really, we'd only run it for 3-4 hours at a time (I think).  24/7 usage is highly unlikely.

Got any feedback after your various experiences?

Which brand might be best for price vs reliability?

(hope to stay less than 35,000php)

Do I need gas or diesel?

Is it obnoxiously noisy? (How close to the house do you run it?)

Will be buying in either Tacloban, Sogod (So. Leyte), or Cebu City.

I'm all ears and will appreciate any good info.

Thanks

Edited by Thalcoozyo
  • Like 1

1. I imagine you do not have an energy meter that would give you the watts rating of each appliance in question? 

Example:

kill-a-watt.jpg

I would buy one and use it to check the total watts used by the appliances.

2. If you do not have one and / or do not wish to buy one, the only thing you can do is go by the plates / labels on the individual appliances, showing the power consumption of each appliance. (Note: The energy ratings on appliances are NOT always accurate.)

3. Take the total combined watts of all appliances and add them together. 

4. On the pump motor and refrigerator, you need to determine the starting wattage needed to git-'em-goin'. Use those figures when calculating total wattage necessary.

5. Add the totals of numbers 3 and 4, above. Add 30% to this figure. 

6. This will be your total watts needed. Divide by 1,000 and that will give you the kilowatt rating of the generator you need to power all of those appliances simultaneously.

Do I need gas or diesel?

Diesel will be more efficient, typically run slower, and use less fuel. Gasoline usually will run faster, will produce more noise and will burn more fuel. 

Will be buying in either Tacloban, Sogod (So. Leyte), or Cebu City.

Cebu City will probably offer more competitive pricing on power units.

• Like 4

I agree with everything Paul has said but just my tuppence worth. Once you have worked out what you need it's always better to buy one with a few more kva than you actually need so as the unit is never running at full load. It's also handy if you need to add another appliance or two.

• Like 2
cvgtpc1

Hey, been reading the forum for generator info.  Many comments are interesting and seem "commone sense" as to typical usage issues.

I'm in So. Leyte.  Brownouts are frequent; 3-4 hours all the way to 1-2 days are common.  We need something for the house (is wired for a generator):

Please keep us informed.  I'd have about the same requirements and would also likely buy in Tacloban.

water well pump full size refrig x 1 TV, and the Signal dish antenna some house lights some floor fans no aircon

Most items list the specs on them. HERE is a link for many items, always make sure to have a large enough one to cover all start ups. 

Once you have worked out what you need it's always better to buy one with a few more kva than you actually need so as the unit is never running at full load. It's also handy if you need to add another appliance or two.

Yes sir. That was exactly why I advised on adding the 30% to the total wattage your total estimated wattage requirements.

I would never run a generator under a full load. (Yep, I recall you saying you would not use it more than a few hours at a time. However, one never knows how long he will actually need to use emergency / back up power.)

colemanlee

Please keep us informed.  I'd have about the same requirements and would also likely buy in Tacloban.

During Yolanda, I bought a 7500 watt Chinese brand generator, cost about 45k,  when I could get it to run it would power about the same thing as you want but I also ran a small aircond in the bedroom.  The problem was the workmanship was bad, first day tank shut of failed leaking gas everywhere, second day fuel filter clogged from junk left in the tank, eventually the governor spring broke and it would not get full power, somewhere in there one of the valves lock nut failed and the valve went out of adjustment...when it was running it would power everything I needed.  The problem was when the governor spring failed it burnt out the compressor on the fridge and the aircond unit...

This was during the five to six months we did not have electricity and I was running it for about eight hours a day every day....I finally traded it with a friend of mine here that needed a larger one to run a welder for a 3000 watt Toro brand. 

Though 3000 watts will not run the refrigerator or the aircond it will run the water pump (3/4 hp) tv's, fans, and lights. I can run the refrigerator if I run it by itself just to keep stuff frozen.  I could run the aircond by itself at night if I wanted to shut of the pump and other stuff..

I am moving to the province this year, about 30km from here, (Tacloban) I will buy a larger generator, probably another 7500 unit for the house and just use the 3000 I have now for the store..I will never buy another Chinese model generator...my next one will be a Honda.  Hondas are more expensive but they last...In the states I had a 15kw one that powered a 3000sq ft house and everything in it including a 2hp well pump without worry. 

I agree you can probably get a better price in Cebu.  If you look in Tacloban the Honda motorcycle place on Real street was carrying them I think they had up to 5000 watt on hand and could order anything larger.  Up to 10kw if I remember correctly.  I also would be interested in what you decide to do, and how it works out...something I have looked at is getting a very large one run by a auto diesel, you can get them in Manila for about 100k and could mount it remotely and not have to worry about the noise and never worry about what you were running...

Paul said it correctly...you plan on just running it a few hours...but you never know...I did not expect to be without power for six months and you live in just as bad a place as I do....

Edited by colemanlee
Thalcoozyo

Sort of an update:

I understand well all about the constant load, and the peak load when appliances are starting up.  That's not what I was hoping to hear about. What will be of help to me is more along the line of:

Got any feedback after your various experiences? (If you had to do it again, what would you do different?)

Which brand might be best for price vs reliability?

(hope to stay less than 35,000php)

gas or diesel?

Is it obnoxiously noisy? (How close to the house do you run it?)

I'm looking more for info on what to buy, and why. (not the size to buy)

Thanks

Edited by Thalcoozyo
colemanlee

If you want reliability buy a Honda...http://www.olx.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/q/honda+portable+generators

These are some of the diesel generators I found  large and small.....http://www.olx.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/q/diesel+generators

by making your own connection wire...put it as far from the house as you can...yes they are noisy as hell unless you get the small 1/2kw ones by honda

as far as I know Honda does not make a diesel, and my first hand knowledge relates to the larger ones than you want to get...

Unless you buy Chinese, I think 35k will be unrealistic

Diesel runs longer, burns less fuel, fuel is cheaper....gas is easier to find in an emergency...your choice

• Like 1

gas or diesel?

Diesel will cost more up front, but theoretically will last longer and be more economical to run.  Diesel fuel is now running around P30/liter in Ormoc as opposed to just over P40 for gas.  Diesel engines are known to be more durable than gas with less maintenance and will run longer on an equal amount of fuel.   Buy diesel if you expect to be using the generator for extended periods of time and/or don't mind spending the additional amount for the advantages.  Gas is fine for more intermmitent duty or even extended, knowing it will be more expensive to run.  Look at the duty cycle of the generator, if they have one listed.  Some of the cheaper gas units will only have a 50 or 60% duty cycle, meaning they are only designed to run at full load 50-60% of the time.  Any more than that will shorten the life of the generator.  100% is, of course, the best but you will pay more.

Is it obnoxiously noisy?

Yes, they are all obnoxiously noisy unless you buy one that was designed to run quiet.  That usually means they will have some sort of enclosure and a good muffler to dampen the noise.  It also means you will be paying much more.  You can install one farther from the house, but then you will have to go out there to start and stop the unit.  This is usually not desirable since brownouts frequently occur when there are rainy and windy conditions.  I have a diesel which runs in a concrete block shed I built to house it.  It cuts down on the noise somewhat, but it's still obnoxiously noisy!

I have a Kubota 5kw diesel generator that easily handles the load from my house, including a 3/4 hp water pump, 1 freezer, 2 small refrig., 3 fans, multiple lights and the usual appliances, tv, microwave, computer etc.  It ran about 10 hours a day for the 4 months we were without power after Yolanda, so I was very happy with the unit.  I bought it second hand from an ad in the newspaper in Cebu and paid P45k.  It was a backup generator from a BPI Bank office that was upgrading to a larger unit and had hardly been used.  I haven't seen Kubota in the stores.  Sorry, other than looking at display generators in the hardware store I haven't been shopping for one recently, so can't help much regarding current pricing.

I agree that Honda makes excellent generators, but not diesel, and pricy.  Unless you are going to buy a small unit, I don't think they will be in your price range.  A few years ago I priced out a Honda 5kw and it was P60k.  Can't comment on the Chinese products other than to say it will be a crap shoot and I would feel better buying a Japanese unit.  I'm sure there are good Chinese units out there but don't know how to identify them other than word of mouth.

• Like 3

We have a 6kVA chinese made, diesel model. Bought about 2 years ago for 32k. It works - just - for a similar load to the OP's and it is extremely noisy. It is installed in a small cinder block hut at the end of the yard. 

When the unit arrived it had absolutely no muffler of any type installed on it - not even the little lawn mower type. We have since connected it to an old pick up truck muffler. Slightly better but still noisy.The unit is designed for use by construction crews - portable and who cares how noisy. 

My local experts have no understanding of two things:

1) Ventilation. They have never understood that the thing needs a large air supply both for combustion and cooling. It overheats easily in a non-properly vented space.

2) Vibration. The thing vibrates enough to cause tremors 100 miles away and periodically shakes off the exhaust pipe. The "expert" install method is to wheel it into the hut and leave it standing free on a concrete floor. One of these days I will get the wheels off the frame, have thick rubber pads under the frame tubes and bolt it down.

If I buy another unit I will increase the budget, look for something which has been designed to run quietly in a residential setting and test it before I part with the cash (if possible!). Gas/Diesel can be dealt with. Under powered can be dealt with. The noise is much more difficult to manage unless you are truly in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours.

(My partner thinks I'm kidding when I tell her to save the egg trays so I can use them as a sound proofing liner on the inside of the hut :) )

• Like 2
trthebees

I have a Kubota 5kw diesel generator that easily handles the load from my house, including a 3/4 hp water pump, 1 freezer, 2 small refrig., 3 fans, multiple lights and

Kubota diesels are excellent...I used to buy them to build small hydraulic packs....quiet and smooth.

• Like 2
SkyMan

My neighbor bought a rather large propane genset from the US.  It seemed to run fine night before.  Anyone know the pros/cons?  You already have propane around to cook so it seemed a good soln.  He has a big tank, like 3 of the small ones and service to swap it.  I think they add p30 for delivery or something.

My neighbor bought a rather large propane genset from the US.  It seemed to run fine night before.  Anyone know the pros/cons?  You already have propane around to cook so it seemed a good soln.  He has a big tank, like 3 of the small ones and service to swap it.  I think they add p30 for delivery or something.

A generator will run cleaner on LPG or NG. However, the output is only something like 85% of petrol, I think? I forget exactly what the figures are. But, it is definitely less power output.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a convenience vs efficiency choice.  Having lived with a diesel generator for 4 months, I would be inclined to go with the convenience.  With a big gas bottle you wouldn't be out there filling the tank every day, under all weather conditions, and there is a lot to be said for that.

• Like 2