Sign in to follow this  
cvgtpc1

Boat Motor Websites

cvgtpc1

Looking for a motor for a small banca boat.  Does anybody know of any websites I can see from the U.S. to check HP and prices?

Thanks!

Bill H

If you're looking at 18HP or less go to any Honda motor site, although most of the locals use the cheap Chinese brands.  The HP range for the small banca's under 30 feet range from 20hp down to about 6hp and even a few 5.5hp.  I bought a 12hp diesel a while back and paid 13,000p for it (manual start).  The larger banca's mostly use used truck diesel engines in the 60hp range.  Marine gears are few and far between here, so they run these engines with the trannies installed and a pedal clutch.  Don't ask if they have to double clutch between gears.

You can find a few here, http://www.oxl.ph but I was not impressed by the prices or the variety.

There used to be a site called sulit, but it would not work for me just now, I think they may have been taken over by oxl, anyway you can try them at  http://sulit.com.ph

Good luck to ya'

cvgtpc1

Thanks for the detail!  

Being told a new 7HP is 12K, not sure of the brand.  I trust the guy but looking for other opinions.  I've got somebody with more sense looking now.  Don't want to get a 7HP if a 12HP isn't much more.  

But I know nothing of boat engines, is 5HP more a big deal in terms of power?

colemanlee

Looking for a motor for a small banca boat.  Does anybody know of any websites I can see from the U.S. to check HP and prices?

Thanks!

We bought my brother in law a boat and motor, honda 12hp, here in tacloban 29k on about a 20 foot boat....boat was about 20k, its the nets that run a lot of money...

cvgtpc1

We bought my brother in law a boat and motor, honda 12hp, here in tacloban 29k on about a 20 foot boat....boat was about 20k, its the nets that run a lot of money...

Sorry, do you mean the boat was 20K and the motor was 9K?  Or 29K for the motor and 20K for the boat?

How did you find it?

colemanlee

Boat was about 20k

Motor was 29k

Nets and accessories another 20k

Had the boat built by a local...he did a good job

They sell the motors (Honda 12hp) here in all the major hardware stores downtown

Found the boat, motor, net and stuff through my brother in law who has been a fisherman all his life....

As usual Honda cost more, but I will never buy Chinese after having a Chinese Generator....most fisherman here I know that use Chinese continually have to mess with them, Honda just install and run....

Edited by colemanlee
  • Like 1

Jimone

Had a look and found this one, it might be a little big but it does come with a mechanic.  Have attached a photo of motor and mechanic for your consideration... can get more info if interested...... 

post-3349-0-94201400-1424400479_thumb.jpg

cvgtpc1

Boat was about 20k

Motor was 29k

Nets and accessories another 20k

Had the boat built by a local...he did a good job

They sell the motors (Honda 12hp) here in all the major hardware stores downtown

Found the boat, motor, net and stuff through my brother in law who has been a fisherman all his life....

As usual Honda cost more, but I will never buy Chinese after having a Chinese Generator....most fisherman here I know that use Chinese continually have to mess with them, Honda just install and run....

Thanks Lee!

Willy my brother in law will be in Tacloban Monday.  Will ask him to price Honda engines.

Edited by cvgtpc1

colemanlee

Thats a really nice boat....if only the girl was Filipina, or at least Asian....

trthebees

I had a 20ft boat years ago. It was well built, with an old solid wood base, and finished off by a rather fastidious ofw seaman, who I bought it off when he went back.

It had a Kohler 12 hp. A very good base engine....but all the tinwork rapidly rotted and as it was the air ducting I replaced it with ply and fibreglass. Also, being in the far province, getting any spares was a pain.

The other thing was that it was an extremely heavy boat, and needed too many helpers to lift out of the water.

Nowadays, I'd probably use a Honda for a small petrol engine. Light, and can get spares. And I'd keep the tinwork sprayed with WD40 or something. The only thing I don't like on modern little engines is the auto recoil...not very marine-like as I've had to repair some for neighbours. Much better the old style wrap round rope.

cvgtpc1

Had a look and found this one, it might be a little big but it does come with a mechanic.  Have attached a photo of motor and mechanic for your consideration... can get more info if interested...... 

attachicon.gifBoat motor.jpg

Too expensive I suspect!