Foreigner and 5 locals go missing on fishing trip in Negros Oriental

woodchopper

there is soon to be an annual fishing comp down surigao way,,siargo i believe?

with the amount of foreigners attending,,usually 100 or so,1 would think the phils navy would be very much in attendance etc?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

shadow

Just read the whole topic. I have to agree its very strange the way the family is acting...and I own a boat about the same size..with a Honda 12 hp motor, it will not sink...we have had it almost full of water before...you can stall the engine with enough water though....I have flown search grids 500' agl for many years, you would not believe how hard it is to see stuff on the water and thats with a crew of six in a KC-130 that can stay aloft for over eight hours...with the equipment available here IMHO it would be just luck if they found you...I do not think the boat sunk, maybe swamped, maybe like some think, taken by the bad guys...Hopefully they will be found alive not too much worse for wear...I relate to them as our family goes out on our boat fairly often..

Although it may not sink, it will not be bouyant enough to hold 6 people up out of the water. 6 people has to be about the absolute maximum a 28 foot banca could carry safely. It would be VERY difficult to see a partially submerged white and blue boat in the water, you would have to stumble right upon it.

The water has been pretty rough down here the last few days, that will not help search efforts either.

• Like 2

phils navy would be very much in attendance etc?

If one of there boats in the emideat area is working and the admirals left it some fuel maybe, considering the low number of boats to high number of admirals, I'd say no

Ahhh a newbie! ....... Philippine Coast Guard boats that don't even have radios, much less GPS.......   Anything you do here should be done knowing if you get in a bind, you will probably have to get yourself out of that bind.

Oh dear! - where do I start?

Firstly, I'm not a "newbie!" as you put it - I've spent a considerable amount of time in 3rd world countries, including about 3 years in the Phils.

I'm not wet behind the ears and I'm well aware of the national characteristics that go into "it's more fun in the Philippines"

Secondly, I've have read about and seen for myself the Phil Coast Guard in action

I know that they have limited resources (they do have some resources though)

They are probably not the world's best trained CG.

But I don't believe that they are incapable of understanding/utilising any position co-ordinates (Lat/Long) they may be given.

Your forum name suggests that you have some boating knowledge.

So presumably you know that you don't need a GPS to navigate a rescue boat to a given location.

A GPS is nice to have, but not essential. Sailors have been navigating without GPS for many decades.

Thirdly, I'm an experienced sailor and have cruised the Phils in my yacht.

I sail conservatively, under the assumption that if I get into trouble, I'll probably need to deal with it myself without outside help.

If help is available - fine! - A radio or an EPIRB is needed to call for help, if necessary - so I carry both on my yacht.

For the worst case scenarios, I have life jackets which considerably improve the chances of long-time survival in the water.

The thrust of my forum posts was that anyone planning to go to offshore in the Phils would be well advised to take their own lifejackets and an EPIRB with them (on the assumption that the vessel they plan to travel on doesn't have them ..... "out of stock" or "not working").

Those two things can improve their personal chances of survival and maybe save the lives of other passengers too.

Apparently, you don't agree?

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 8

Not against the idea of carrying your own but the thought crossed my mind who would receive the signal and if they did would they know what it means or what to do with it....

Many land based satellite receiving stations in many parts of the world will receive it, decode it and forward it to an appropriate search and rescue organisation. - (in my case, AMSA Australia)**

A quick and simple explanation here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon>

** If I was in the Phils, AMSA would know and would quickly inform Phil CG and the Aus Embassy.

I'm sure a similar situation would apply for other advanced countries

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1
shadow

Oh dear! - where do I start?

Firstly, I'm not a "newbie!" as you put it - I've spent a considerable amount of time in 3rd world countries, including about 3 years in the Phils.

I'm not wet behind the ears and I'm well aware of the national characteristics that go into "it's more fun in the Philippines"

Secondly, I've have read about and seen for myself the Phil Coast Guard in action

I know that they have limited resources (they do have some resources though)

They are probably not the world's best trained CG.

But I don't believe that they are incapable of understanding/utilising any position co-ordinates (Lat/Long) they may be given.

Your forum name suggests that you have some boating knowledge.

So presumably you know that you don't need a GPS to navigate a rescue boat to a given location.

A GPS is nice to have, but not essential. Sailors have been navigating without GPS for many decades.

Thirdly, I'm an experienced sailor and have cruised the Phils in my yacht.

I sail conservatively, under the assumption that if I get into trouble, I'll probably need to deal with it myself without outside help.

If help is available - fine! - A radio or an EPIRB is needed to call for help, if necessary - so I carry both on my yacht.

For the worst case scenarios, I have life jackets which considerably improve the chances of long-time survival in the water.

The thrust of my forum posts was that anyone planning to go to offshore in the Phils would be well advised to take their own lifejackets and an EPIRB with them (on the assumption that the vessel they plan to travel on doesn't have them ..... "out of stock" or "not working").

Those two things can improve their personal chances of survival and maybe save the lives of other passengers too.

Apparently, you don't agree?

With all due respect, we are talking about a system here that is unable to use a telephone to notify the coast guard. Instead it went though the proper channels, barangay captain, PNP, Bantay Dagat, etc., la te da, no urgency here. The coast guard finally gets notified the next day that there may be a problem.

Lifejackets are good, beyond that the water gets rather murky and it's "every man for himself".

These people did not even have lifejackets, they were totally unprepared for a problem at sea. Fishingbrat states the American was an experienced boater, but I don't know ANY experienced boaters who would go to see as they did in what they did without lifejackets! That is insanely ignorant, and it likely cost them.

Most Filipinos do not swim, even fisherman. A person who is panicking can easily accidentally drown a good swimmer who is trying to help them. Panic is a killer. An EPIRB will not save you from a person panicking in the water, they will drag you down.

But I agree one cannot have too much safety equipment when going to sea, and it is the personal responsibility of everyone on board to see to it they have the necessary safety equipment. Although the "captain" is responsible for everyone's safety, he won't be able to help you much when he is drowning.

Debris should be showing up in Malaysia, Palawan, or Sulu shortly.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 2

Good on you Shadow!

We agree that going to sea unprepared is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do - particularly for an "experienced boater".

At the very least they should have lifejackets - they are cheap! - no excuse for not having them - particularly for non-swimmers!.

An EPIRB is more expensive, but well within the budget of "foreigners". What value does a foreigner put on his life?

An operating EPIRB could have resulted in the Phil CG being informed of their location in less than an hour after they activated it.

It provides position updating and has a homing beacon radio signal, making it much easier to find them, even in rough seas.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1
FISHINGBRAT

I am confused as to why Brad with his experience would go out unprepared like that. It makes no sense to me. Not hearing anything on the search or if the CG is still searching is frustrating at best. News reports I find are 2-4 days old. You guys have been really great and supportive, I want you to know how much I appreciate it.

• Like 1

I am confused as to why Brad with his experience would go out unprepared like that.

How experienced is he on the Philippines? 

He may not have realized the term "boating safety" in the Philippines is an oxymoron?

Don't know if you have ever visited the Philippines. But, if a ferry sinks, most of the passengers, typically, will drown. Unfortunately, that is just how it goes in country. So, we, as foreigners, must be prepared, as has been repeatedly stated in this very thread.

• Like 1

Of course I have at least two radios, two GPS's and an EPIRB for the boat and a personal one for each individual on my yacht, everyone wears a harness when offshore, strobes are attached to the harness along with the EPIRB and a whistle, there is a life preserver built into the harness.  So I'm a believer in safety equipment, but we are not talking about yachts, we're talking about bancas and that is an entirely different world.  All the fishermen I know who go to see in their bancas swim very well, but I don't know even one who carries any safety equipment beyond a paddle.  It would be great if everyone had an EPIRB but they don't and they won't because they just don't have the money.  The coasties know how to read a chart for the most part, but they have no or limited access to modern equipment, which was my point.  They don't always have charts either.  These folks should have taken safety equipment with them, but they didn't and no one knows what happened to them.  Sad that, but not surprising here.

I have seen paddle bancas pretty far off shore, they are easy boats to paddle and almost everyone carries paddles, so if the engine failed, they could paddle back or at least to land on one of the many islands here.

• Like 2
colemanlee

that going to sea unprepared is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do - particularly for an "experienced boater".

I am amazed that you have never done anything irresponsible, it must be nice being perfect...having owned boats all my life, possessing a six pack license, owning a couple of boats here, I can honestly say I have been irresponsible some times...nobody expects the worst to happen to them, hence nobody does things perfect all the time....get over yourself, unless your truly perfect which I seriously doubt....

• Like 3
oztony

Well I have personally met Oz Jon , and can attest that he loves to talk about his yacht and times sailing in PI ,

all he has done here is give his opinion and very experienced point of view , and believe me at nearly 80 yrs old

he is qualified to have an opinion on this , I think in an earlier post he stated at minimum to have a life jacket.

To get lambasted for simply stating what the ideal safe measures are to take before you put to sea is a bit much.

We know this is the Philippines , and short cuts along with risk taking are part and parcel of everyday life and that is the choice

that people take , he has stated his opinion so maybe all the detractors need to get over themselves.............

I am confused as to why Brad with his experience would go out unprepared like that. It makes no sense to me. Not hearing anything on the search or if the CG is still searching is frustrating at best. News reports I find are 2-4 days old. You guys have been really great and supportive, I want you to know how much I appreciate it.

This is a person who personally knows the missing guy , and who also knows this guy through the activity of fishing at sea , and this comment gives credence to what Oz Jon has been saying.

Edited by oztony
  • Like 4
colemanlee

each to their own

• Like 1

This is a person who personally knows the missing guy

And, has known him for many years.

Well I have personally met Oz Jon , and can attest that he loves to talk about his yacht and times sailing in PI , all he has done here is give his opinion and very experienced point of view

I would certainly trust someone's opinion who is on the water fairly often, and who has significant sailing experience behind them, rather than my own - or others who may not have that same experience.

• Like 3

each to their own

Yes and then just maybe someone reading this might think twice about going out to sea without making sure he had at least a life vest with him....

• Like 9