Foreigner and 5 locals go missing on fishing trip in Negros Oriental

Headshot

I'm afraid bluesky won't be answering any questions for the next eight hours due to him bringing his religious beliefs into the discussion. He also ignored Paul's verbal warning on using all caps in a post. Hopefully, when (or if) he returns, he will explain where he got the information on the DNA not being Brad's. As far as the statements on the FBI expatriating bodies, he just doesn't have a clue as to how things work in the Philippines. As for others, when you see that somebody has broken the rules with a post, please do NOT reply to it. It just complicates our job as moderators.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

Tbuddy69

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:

I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of here. This is the Philippines, it is not America and it is not administered like America, people here do not live like the people in America for the most part. To expect anything to happen here like it does in America, is simply a fools errand. The first thing you really need to do is accept this and some of don't seem to be doing that.

Many of the people who have commented on this thread have lived here for years, not weeks. We are not tourists, we are residents and many of us have a great deal of experience in many things Filipino. Shadow has been here 12 years or more. I know the man personally, he really knows the Country and his wife is a Filipina and his business partner. They are professional investigators and they are very good, his words should carry great weight with you.

Filipinos go to sea every day in boats you would not trust in your swimming pool, but still they do it. They use these boats to fish in order to survive, they may not and most probably do not do things like you would do them, but they know the local waters and they know their boats. The preponderance of these people do not use life jackets and they are rarely found on the boats, even the 100' ocean going boats do not carry them. So for Brad and this party to be on a boat without lifejackets is the norm here not the exception. Ditto GPS, a radio, flares, EPIRB and almost every other piece of equipment you have on your boat, except a paddle or two. That is just the way it is here.

There are many terrorist groups here, but MILF and Abu Sayyaf are two of the most well known. They do kidnap people for ransom, they have been known to hold people for years and kill their hostages as well, but mostly they do it for the money not to randomly murder. MILF is the group partially behind the killing of 44 Filipino policemen in January. Abu Sayyaf had nothing to do with that event. The Filipino government has been retaliating against the groups involved since it happened but MILF is not the leading perpetrator of kidnappings here, Abu Sayyaf is. If any of these groups took Brad, someone would have been contacted for ransom by now. If no one has been contacted, the chances of this being a kidnapping are slim. That's just the way it is here.

If the boat in fact, did reach the island where it was found on it's own, the locals would probably have taken much of the valuables. Kind of a finders keepers kind of deal. That would be the norm here.

The American Embassy and most other foreign embassies do little for their citizens in these situations. They will notify next of kin, but as far as mounting massive searches like the US Coast Guard routinely does, forget it, it's not going to happen here. As Shadow has told you many times, things stumble along at their own pace here and very little will change that. The time to mount the search effort was at the time they went missing, but I'm not going to beat that dead horse now.

At this juncture I know you are hurting and we all would like to have answers like the DNA results, but they simply will not be released for a while and there is nothing anyone can do about that. The FBI is unlikely to ride to the rescue in this case or most any other cases here, it simply will not happen. All that is needed now is time for the Philippine government to do its thing, even though that will most likely be a maddeningly slow process. It's just the way it is here, you can't change that and neither can we.

We all feel for your loss, but it happened and life goes on. We're all sorry this happened and we all wish it had not been this way, but this is, in part, how life goes in this part of the world. Brad surely knew that, yet he stayed, now it's time for you folks to try to accept that. We are all sorry this happened and I certainly wish you well, but life does go on. Salamat.

Thank you and everyone on this thread that have took the time and the appreciation for Brad's friends that come to this Forum everyday looking for support and dealing with the probability that are friend is no longer with us, sure we all hope that that wasn't Brad laying there in the water belly up and That's not the final image I want of my friend, but in all realty things like this happen in a country most of us from the states know nothing about, so in closing I just want to say thanks to everyone in this forum that took the time to keep me and all of Brads friends informed and I pray for the loss of everyone involved and there families, in best regards Troy!!
  • Like 9
AlbacoreShuffle

For those of us who know Brad he is not careless or irresponsible. The man found in the boat was 5'4 Brad is 5'10 there is no way that was Brad because if it was the FBI would of made sure the body was flown back to the states.Thats what our government does to our citizens it brings them home. As regards to this boat, Brad a very experienced fisherman man of the sea  he would not step foot in that little canoe that they are trying to call a boat and go out deep in the ocean. Everything I believe is staged to look like Brad was in that boat which I don't believe he was. In poor countries you can pay anyone to say anything at anytime. At  this point he is out there somewhere and  all we can do is pray that the God will protect him, keep him safe, and bring him home!!

I can tell you for a FACT that Brad would indeed jump on that Canoe and go fishing. I was on  trip with Brad in Mexico, and we fished from Panga's that were only 16' long . We were fishing over 200 miles from the port we left from. Brad was the first one to say " I"M IN " to any adventure that any of his friends came up with. It's one of the reasons Brad so well loved by his fishing buddy's. Here are some pictures of Brad 200 miles from our departure point.

post-16878-0-71242900-1426776201_thumb.jpg

post-16878-0-82052800-1426776228_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Paul

Well the FBI knows their job and they said the mans body was 5'4 so its not Brad. The  American Government does not stick Americans back in the ground on foreign soil ! Im so sorry that Australia does not feel the same for its citizens. Our Government is well equipped on how to move a body! They actually do care! GOD BLESS THE USA!!

A few things:

1. When you ARE able to post again, learn to read the rules. This isn't Facebook. This is my forum. You will follow my rules here.
2. STOP TYPING IN CAPS. You gave yourself away on Facebook by doing so here, and there. Not to mention, there is a little issue of IP Addresses that I won't mention. 

3. Show respect to the other members here, or you will be gone. 

• Like 9
Tbuddy69

A few things:

1. When you ARE able to post again, learn to read the rules. This isn't Facebook. This is my forum. You will follow my rules here.

2. STOP TYPING IN CAPS. You gave yourself away on Facebook by doing so here, and there. Not to mention, there is a little issue of IP Addresses that I won't mention.

3. Show respect to the other members here, or you will be gone.

Paul, by using my real name do u think That's a security issue on my part and do u think I should change it or does it even matter at this point!?
Paul

Paul, by using my real name do u think That's a security issue on my part and do u think I should change it or does it even matter at this point!?

Some people don't mind doing so, while others do. It's totally up to you. If you wish to change your username, I can do it in about 10 seconds. Just let me know.

Tbuddy69

Some people don't mind doing so, while others do. It's totally up to you. If you wish to change your username, I can do it in about 10 seconds. Just let me know.

Ya go for it, I would appreciate it, do u need anything from me?
colemanlee

so far, ive tried to be helpful...ok now what i really feel

1. Brad went out in a boat without much else

2. the boat was not 28 feet long, much smaller

3. he was probably drinking

4. there was not life preservers aboard

5. he was not abducted

6. people die for being stupid

7. get over it, quit making dumb ass excuses

8. the American goverment dont give a shit

9.at least he was having fun when he left the doc

10. shit happens..young girls..feeling of invincibility = screwed up outcomes

11. everybody on the forum has done everything possible...wake fecking up

• Like 7
Enuff

5. he was not abducted

I could only like once, like like
  • Like 1
Headshot

For anybody who thinks the US Embassy or the FBI, DEA or ATF are here to protect US citizens...think again. They are here to enforce the laws of the United States AGAINST US citizens (or others in some cases) who break them while living in or visiting the Philippines. They are not here to protect you. They are not here to investigate your death if your life ends here (for any reason). They WILL help IF the Philippine government (or one of its agencies) requests that help. Otherwise, you are on your own here. You will get more help from friends and family than you will from the US government (and that is usually too little and too late to help anyway). In other words, the US government is NOT here to help you. It isn't in their job description, and if you think it is, you are mistaken.

• Like 6
woodchopper

I had a mate killed at bohol recently,,he lay in a coffin for 2mths+ b4 his dad extricated his body 2 the US!!

My view is this thread will only fade once a DNA Test result becomes available,,the rest is history then!

Paul

For anybody who thinks the US Embassy or the FBI, DEA or ATF are here to protect US citizens...think again. They are here to enforce the laws of the United States AGAINST US citizens (or others in some cases) who break them while living in or visiting the Philippines. They are not here to protect you. They are not here to investigate your death if your life ends here (for any reason). They WILL help IF the Philippine government (or one of its agencies) requests that help. Otherwise, you are on your own here. You will get more help from friends and family than you will from the US government (and that is usually too little and too late to help anyway). In other words, the US government is NOT here to help you. It isn't in their job description, and if you think it is, you are mistaken.

Don't go clouding the issue with facts, Bill. 

• Like 6
shadow

5. he was not abducted

Ahhh, come on, Lee, tell us how you REALLY feel!

:)

Agree on all points.

• Like 1
Oz Jon

First ! The family said the DNA is not Brad NICE TRY!!!

Really! That's an important new development if the recovered body is not Brad.

Is this more guesswork and theory or is it actual fact?

- Did you hear that directly from the family?

- Where did they get that information from?

Did the FBI inform them of this, formaly?

Maybe just an opinion from the family's expert advisor? or some faith healer? or a clairvoyant, or a local witch doctor?

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 2