Foreigner and 5 locals go missing on fishing trip in Negros Oriental

Maybe the family don't want it advertised on the forum, for fear of alerting kidnappers about the missing people. Thereby getting potential kidnappers searching for them as well?

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

FISHINGBRAT

Type "Top 10 sea survivors" into google. Dunno if im allowed to post links here

Longest was 9 months 3 people survived on a fishing boat.

During the first 2 nights there were some thunder storms in the area so hopefully they were able to collect loads of water. Also let's hope they are able to catch plenty of fish. The liquid inside the fish is drinkable and can save their lifes...

Ive just seen another helicopter leaving Dumaguete about 1 hour ago.

Thank you for the update on the helicopter

I think what the family may have meant was they didn't want' potential kidnappers seeing personal info about Brad and them that could somehow jeopardize things.  This could be FBI protocol and they're working with the family now.

This is probably the reason, all I was asked was to stop posting about Brad. 

Maybe the family don't want it advertised on the forum, for fear of alerting kidnappers about the missing people. Thereby getting potential kidnappers searching for them as well?

Could be!

If that is the case, the family should contact ME directly, rather than a member of this site. But, I highly doubt the FBI is involved in a case where an American has just gone missing less than a week ago, in a foreign country. I just don't buy it - UNLESS he was connected in some way. 

• Like 4
Davaoeno

Thereby getting potential kidnappers searching for them as well?

If I am lost at sea I am sure that by the end of the first few days I would be more than willing to have ANYONE - including potential kidnappers- search for me. Hell - they wouldnt even have to kidnap me because I am sure I would be more than willing to negotiate a reward with them for saving me .

• Like 9

If that is the case, the family should contact ME directly, rather than a member of this site. But, I highly doubt the FBI is involved in a case where an American has just gone missing less than a week ago, in a foreign country. I just don't buy it - UNLESS he was connected in some way. 

Perhaps they meant NBI?

No. 

Hummm then perhaps we should leave this one alone.   :cool: 

If I am lost at sea I am sure that by the end of the first few days I would be more than willing to have ANYONE - including potential kidnappers- search for me. Hell - they wouldnt even have to kidnap me because I am sure I would be more than willing to negotiate a reward with them for saving me .

After a few days I have a feeling you could negotiate a very good deal with them for your release.  :lol:

• Like 1

After 6 days on a boat im sure everyone would be happy to get rescued, even by kidnappers.

One thing I don'. understand is why the helicopter was still flying out from Dumaguete today. it takes 3 days to get until Dapitan with a boat without engine, then they must be somewhere around Labasan area after 6 days Or even further. Let's say a helicopter can fly about 4 hours. It takes 1.5 hours to get there, 1.5 hours to fly back. Leaves 1 hour to screen the area.

Another idea: there is a flight school in dumaguete, they probably have some planes...

Headshot

Is there some reason why people think this boat or the occupants are still on the surface of the water? Were there any messages received from anyone on the boat that would lead them to that conclusion? Maybe I missed that part of the story.

Sorry to read of their disappearance and hope they are found soon.

However:-

Why anyone would go far offshore in a boat without having (at least) lifejackets, flares and an EPIRB on board, mystifies me!

That's about $300 worth of safety gear - negligible extra cost compared to the cost of the boat, engine and fishing gear, etc.

And what value 5 lives?

An EPIRB could have given authorities an alarm and their location (within about 100 metres) within a few minutes of activation (and location updates continuously for the next 48 hours).

I guess it's yet another case of "only other people get into trouble  -  nothing untoward is going to happen to us"?

• Like 2

Is there some reason why people think this boat or the occupants are still on the surface of the water? Were there any messages received from anyone on the boat that would lead them to that conclusion? Maybe I missed that part of the story.

Because those bankas including the outtrigers are quite stable. So the most probable reason why they disapeared is motor failure. Also from what i heard, the boat was only about 1 year old...

Edited by daenselot

Sorry to read of their disappearance and hope they are found soon.

However:-

Why anyone would go far offshore in a boat without having (at least) lifejackets, flares and an EPIRB on board, mystifies me!

That's about $300 worth of safety gear - negligible extra cost compared to the cost of the boat, engine and fishing gear, etc.

And what value 5 lives?

An EPIRB could have given authorities an alarm and their location (within about 100 metres) within a few minutes of activation (and location updates continuously for the next 48 hours).

I guess it's yet another case of "only other people get into trouble - nothing untoward is going to happen to us"?

So I'm sure you bring your own seatbelt-system and helmet when riding a tricycle here and your EPIRB when going on an island hoping trip right. Riding a motorbike here is literally attempted suicide... I can see so many safety concerns here that for me it's better to close one eye and think like a pinoy: bahala na. The problem in our western thinking is that we believe that we are responsible for all that happens to us. Thus all the over regulation which is in my eyes a real pain in the ass. How much easier you can live if you just say: Hey, i believe that someone else (god) guides me. I believe thats one reason why pinoys are more relaxed than we are.

And Anyway: how many fisherboats go out here everyday. 50000? No idea im guessing. How many get lost? even if it was one everyday theres still a really small chance to be one the one boat.

Edited by daenselot
  • Like 2
So I'm sure you bring your own seatbelt-system and helmet ........

No - I don't think that seat belts in a tricycle are a practical/effective proposition.

Maybe helmets are, but I don't carry one because I figure that the inconvenience outweighs any possible safety value..

On the other hand, I did carry both a lifejacket and an EPIRB while island hopping (small, lightweight, occupy less than 20% of a backpack).

I wouldn't even consider traveling on a Phil ferry without them - have you seen their safety track record?

I don't believe that "we are responsible for all that happens to us".

Nor do I believe that "someone else (God) guides me" - logical thought and ethics does!

But I do believe that we are responsible for and can influence the outcome of much of what happens to us.

Responsible behavior requires us to take that responsibility rather than leaving it to someone else to deal with mishaps.

ps. I'm not Filipino, but I'm pretty relaxed!

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 2