Foreigner and 5 locals go missing on fishing trip in Negros Oriental

This could come back and bite me on the ass. However, I am going to go out on a limb and say he, most likely, was not kidnapped. I feel as though, if he were, someone would have heard something by now. 

Many scenarios as to what may have happened are possible, though. 

One that comes to my mind is, they are drifting due to the motor failing - yes, even though it was newer. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

quit_yume

I can't imagine one of those things sinking which unfortunately only leaves 1 other likely outcome.  and yes there have been folks kidnapped before in southern phils where it took days to find out that was the case.  the 1st priority of the kidnappers is going to be to move the victims to a secure location or even possibly to hand them off to a more organized group.

I am not certain of this. But, I believe it to have been a family member of Brad's. Obviously, the family member has very little working knowledge of the Philippines, and does not realize what could actually benefit those who are trying to locate him and the others on that boat.

I will not remove any posts from this thread, regarding locating the man and the others aboard that pump boat.. 

• Like 5
FISHINGBRAT

Tony

Sir I agree wholeheartedly. I was just doing as one of his family members asked me to do and remove my posts, not to post anything publicly about Brad especially "on a Philippine forum" There are a lot and I mean a LOT of people worried. Stupid me went out trying to find help to bring my bud home and turns out it upset his family.. That's the last thing I want to do, I just want him home.

• Like 3

FISHINGBRAT: The information you have posted, has in no way, been detrimental in helping locate these folks. You should not listen to whomever has asked you to do this. They don't know what they are talking about. 

That's the last thing I want to do, I just want him home.

I assure you, and I think I speak for each and every member involved here - that is what WE want as well. 

• Like 9
oztony

Tony

Sir I agree wholeheartedly. I was just doing as one of his family members asked me to do and remove my posts, not to post anything publicly about Brad especially "on a Philippine forum" There are a lot and I mean a LOT of people worried. Stupid me went out trying to find help to bring my bud home and turns out it upset his family.. That's the last thing I want to do, I just want him home.

The collective knowledge that this forum has is too much to ignore , I feel sympathy for the family and friends of those that are missing , but common sense must prevail , within 5 mins or so of you posting the news on that youtube link last night (Australia time) my wife had interpreted it and we gave a reply to your post , the family of Brad are in no doubt experiencing total emotional turmoil , your contact with this site should be considered a blessing , not a hindrance , but understandably it is hard to see the true value in things when people are hurting so much , please convey to the family that no one here is interfering or creating any problems , and in reality they really are fortunate that you came to Linc in search of some answers , because the advice and information that you will receive from this forum is experienced and relevant and real , and some of us know some very powerful and connected local Filipino's in that area , there is nothing bad about you coming to this forum , only good.

• Like 7

The collective knowledge that this forum has is too much to ignore , I feel sympathy for the family and friends of those that are missing , but common sense must prevail , within 5 mins or so of you posting the news on that youtube link last night (Australia time) my wife had interpreted it and we gave a reply to your post , the family of Brad are in no doubt experiencing total emotional turmoil , your contact with this site should be considered a blessing , not a hindrance , but understandably it is hard to see the true value in things when people are hurting so much , please convey to the family that no one here is interfering or creating any problems , and in reality they really are fortunate that you came to Linc in search of some answers , because the advice and information that you will receive from this forum is experienced and relevant and real , and some of us know some very powerful and connected local Filipino's in that area , there is nothing bad about you coming to this forum , only good.

I wish I could be as diplomatic in my posts. :)

• Like 5
shadow

If this case had not been kept as such a secret, I may have towed my boat to Siaton and gone fishing myself, just to have more eyes on the water. I'm only an hour away.  At that point I could have been a DAY ahead of the authorities. When you are in distress on the water, minutes count, even in warm climates.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 9

I heard that in the same village, there was a boat going out a couple of months ago and experienced a motor failure. They stranded 3 days later in Mindanao.

From my experience in this country, its a wonderful place, as long as everything is ok, means no sicknes and no trouble whatsoever. But when authorities come into play, oh man...

if a similar thing happened to my family, id offer 1-2 Mio. Pesos for finding them alive... Money talks here and thats a fact.

I hope they are all ok.

oztony

If this case had not been kept as such a secret, I may have towed my boat to Siaton and gone fishing myself, just to have more eyes on the water. I'm only an hour away.  At that point I could have been a DAY ahead of the authorities. When you are in distress on the water, minutes count, even in warm climates.

Larry , this is my point on this matter , someone as yourself who has been boots on the ground there for 12 years is going to have a relevant opinion and advice

that others just cannot give , this is right on your doorstep, and local thinking is only understood by those that have spent the time there.(and even then it is still a battle)

• Like 1

Was searching around and found this bit of information. (Tim (from Memphis), take a look at the author.)

http://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2015/02/19/american-national-5-others-go-missing-negros-oriental-waters/

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) has launched a search and rescue mission for an American and 5 other people who have been missing since Saturday in waters near Barangay Maloh in Siaton, Negros Oriental.

Coast Guard spokesperson Commander Arman Balilo identified the six missing persons as Elmer Sabroso, Roseldo Andid, Rey Benetes, Jovie Fundador, Cristina Andid, and Bradley Fugate, an American. They were on board a 28-foot pumpboat that sailed on Friday.

According to Balilo, they got the information from PCG-Dumaguete after the boat owner reported that the six persons failed to return from their fishing trip last Friday.

PCG immediately dispatched BRP Batangas and a light utility aircraft to look for the victims.

The agency has also released a Notice to Mariner to inform other seafarers on the incident.

Local officials have coordinated with the local government units of Palawan and Malaysia, where the pumpboat may have strayed.

The US Embassy has also been notified about the missing American.

• Like 3

Type "Top 10 sea survivors" into google. Dunno if im allowed to post links here

Longest was 9 months 3 people survived on a fishing boat.

During the first 2 nights there were some thunder storms in the area so hopefully they were able to collect loads of water. Also let's hope they are able to catch plenty of fish. The liquid inside the fish is drinkable and can save their lifes...

Ive just seen another helicopter leaving Dumaguete about 1 hour ago.

• Like 1

How long was it before the German couple was acknowledged to be held for ransom?  A couple of weeks as I remember it.

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

I think what the family may have meant was they didn't want' potential kidnappers seeing personal info about Brad and them that could somehow jeopardize things.  This could be FBI protocol and they're working with the family now.

Edited by cvgtpc1
  • Like 2