• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

oztony

Larry you nailed it , the late response to start looking , the secrecy / silence applied , and the complete and total lack of ACTION.

This poor fella and his friends were probably doomed while there still was a tangible chance , because of the methods applied

in his/their recovery. Were the family listening to advice from some office bound inexperienced bureaucrat ? We will never Know.

Maybe in the ensuing weeks more will be revealed , there are still 4 people unaccounted for . A real thing here to take note is just

because a local says no problem , jump in we will go for a trip , think about your personal safety and use situational awareness

in making your decisions , Brad trusted these people and now he is dead , I am not blaming the people he was with , but he is dead all the same.

• Like 8
daenselot

From my post # 126;

"Debris should be showing up in Malaysia, Palawan, or Sulu shortly."

There are so many ways this tragedy could have been prevented or the outcome possibly been different. Sometimes we forget that we are in a third world country, and things just don't work right here.

I have search and rescue experience in Wyoming (mountains). The most important element in the difference between finding a survivor or a cadaver is time. When someone is in distress, immediate response is the most important element in their safe recovery.

It took them two days to notify the Coast Guard, by then, the area to search had multiplied many times over.

Whatever was the cause for the secrecy, it likely contributed to this tragic outcome.

Were it my loved one, I would want everyone to know. I would have someone on the ground offering gas money for the 200 or so boats in the area, and possibly a reward, for the person(s) who found them. Perform an actual grid search, or as close to it as possible here in lala land.

The currents are strong and unpredictable out there, after two days they could easily be 50 km or more from where they had a problem, whatever that problem was. That is a HUGE area to search.

We, as foreigners, need to learn to take care of our own here. Life here is cheap, and as harsh as it may sound, nobody really bothers with a real search for a missing Filipino.

I feel that we on this forum could have possibly made a difference in the outcome of this tragedy, had we been "in the know", and acted in a timely manner. Due to circumstances mostly beyond our control, we failed miserably this time. Hopefully next time we can be more responsive and proactive.

My sincere condolences to the friends and family. This is a sad day.

Totally agree with you except for one thing: It's not that the families of the locals don't care if one of their family members are missing, it's just that they cant afford to pay a reward or offering gas to 200 boats...

• Like 5
Scottiev

My condolences to Brads friends and family and the families of the other missing fishermen . I am not sure if there was anything suspicious  that happened here . I just see it as a lot of poor choices , going way off shore in an overloaded boat is the main one.  Timely reporting of the over due boat is a huge problem ,like Shadow I've worked with search and rescue teams and TIME is one of the most crucial factors. Brads family trying to suppress information instead of sharing is just totally inept . The more people aware and looking the better rescue chance. There are many members here that either live on Negros or have family there , here in the Philippines who you know is very important to getting things done. A reward offer thru Facebook or Twitter shared to Christinas family and friends might have got boats out looking. A letter to a US congressman? That will get you NOTHING in the Philippines especially in a time sensitive situation .

Its very sad for all involved that this happened ,again my condolences

• Like 3
FISHINGBRAT

I can't breathe---I'm not giving up hope until hr has been positively 100% identified--- I can't breathe

• Like 5
ozboy

The ''Going Fishing'' part is what puzzles me.....

daenselot

I have first hand information of someone who walked with them from the village to the crossing and saw them walking down to the beach between 7 and 8 am on Feb 13.

No hearsay, i just talked to this person.

Apart from the 6 people, there was also Cristinas younger sister walking with them and who wanted to join, but her sister didn't allow her daw.

oztony

I have first hand information of someone who walked with them from the village to the crossing and saw them walking down to the beach between 7 and 8 am on Feb 13.

No hearsay, i just talked to this person.

Apart from the 6 people, there was also Cristinas younger sister walking with them and who wanted to join, but her sister didn't allow her daw.

Has their family had any contact with Brad's family ?

Oz Jon

A very sad avoidable outcome.

We don't know precisely what happened, but my guess is that they probably encountered rough seas in their overloaded boat. Maybe an engine failure?

Those seas would have almost certainly swamped their open boat (it having only about 2ft of freeboard) disabling the engine.

With no engine they would have no steering.

That would make it very vulnerable to complete swamping by waves (which could eventually wash tired, untethered crew overboard).

Without lifejackets and in rough seas, they are unlikely to survive for very long.

Probably the timber and bamboo boat (minus engine) was light enough to float?

If so, Brad and his GF tethering themselves to it would be a reasonable last resort survival tactic.

This is all supposition on my part, but it appears to fit what little reputed facts that we do have, in a plausible, uncomplicated manner.

Most Importantly - How can such loss of life at sea be avoided in future?  

(see my messages #71, #81 and #153 above) - a little repetitive, but worth repeating -

If you think that your life is worth more than about $300, then spend that to buy a lifejacket and to buy and register an EPIRB before going to sea, anywhere, on any vessel*.

If you get into life threatening difficulty, activate the EPIRB. It will be detected as an alarm (with location information) within a few minutes.

You can be reasonably confident that the Search and Rescue Authority at the EPIRB's registered country will respond quickly, appropriately and will follow up.

Quick S&R response may save your life and the lives of fellow passengers.

(*unless you are absolutely certain that the vessel has this equipment on board, it is functional and the crew are competent to use it - that may not be the case in the Philippines!).

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 3
daenselot

I have no clue oztony whether their familes have been in contact with each other.

I don't know either what's the goal of the FBI here. Either the investigate the whole thing, or they just take over to keep an eye on the autopsy etc.

What do you guys think?

Edited by daenselot
FISHINGBRAT

I could see Brad tying themselves to the boat so that they stay with the boat to be found. just like if you are lost in the snow stay with your vehicle. The question is were they tied as in they did it themselves or were they bound by someone else big difference. I am still praying it's not them. My heart is hurting and my prayers go out to the families. I know their things were found on the boat but one can hope maybe they were robbed and the bodies found are of the robbers? That Brad, Cristina and the others will be found alive. LONG SHOT I know, but I can dream can't I? I wish it was possible the FBI were involved sooner. Is there still a Navy base in the Philippines?? My husband was stationed there but that was 40 years ago. If there still is a base there I wonder why they were not involved in the search. I have so many questions and no real answers. I am not ready to have to plan a club memorial for my SPAM man.

• Like 3
oztony

This is an email that was sent to Paul by one of the family members.

Paul,

You need to stop talking about BRAD FUGATE.  He is my cousins brother.  The girl who has been writing to you is a druggie and drama queen.  She started out calling Brad her brother, which was a flat out lie.  She is an IRRESPONSIBLE dumbass, and yes, she is my cousin, and still NOT is sister.

"The family is trying to PROTECT Brad."  and all the frivolous, vainglorious yammering  is going to get him killed.  He is in very serious trouble, and not a single person on your blog CAN or WILL help him, so stop playing.  We want Brad back, it's that simple.  Let the powers that be handle this, which is not you or your followers.  The girl is a cousin member of the family, and she is CUT OFF BECAUSE SHE IS STUPID.  I'm going to ask you to end this.  Otherwise, if he ends up dead, I hope you enjoy the cheap headlines.  The BOAT story may be buying him time.  NO the general public doesn't need to know every damn thing. 

I've been surfing the internet for his name to see what shows up, and here you guys are.  And my dumbass cousin.  When I see her, I'm going to slap her face.

Yes I'm Pissed.

YOU people need to STOP talking about this man before you get him killed. I can't believe how Fking unconscious you are. The girl you have been talking to is a fking DOPER and DRAMA QUEEN. She is IRRESPONSIBLE. "the family is trying to PROTECT Brad." Do YOU MIND? It's NOT for the general public to know everything, NONE of you are going to do or CAN to anything to help him. GET IT? 

I have been of the belief since reading this 11 or so days ago , that there has been a demand for money from the family by abductors/kidnappers
and this family is in real turmoil. But I still don't believe the silence was helpful. My theory is that a larger boat has taken control of the bangka that they
originally set off in and used as a base for their demands. The extra passengers/crew with Cristina and Brad were totally expendable , and would have been 
the first casualties of this fateful fishing trip. Brad would have been bargaining for himself and Cristina.

The smaller boat would have been in tow to the larger one. For whatever reasons negotiations have either broken down ,or the promises from the family of Brad were possibly fulfilled and the kidnappers have then just disposed of the last witnesses to their cowardly acts. I think they were bound and tied to the little boat they set out in , and then at some point the tow line to the bigger boat was just cut and they were left to drift . Why were they not just thrown in the ocean? could it be that the body's were in such a poor state with water already in the little boat that the kidnappers simply did not want to come in contact with them , did not want to get caught with their little boat any way , so they simply cut the rope , and more than likely had already removed the motor a lot earlier in these disgusting proceedings.

The email above seems to indicate that something sinister was afoot and that the family had knowledge that was not going to be disclosed to others because of fear of things happening. Another thing , is how is it that it is just Brad and Cristina at the end that were found , the other people were family to Cristina , these choices were not made by Brad and Cristina , they were made by others IMO. I would like to know how they were tied to the boat , because that really would be a decider in this whole hypothetical idea , were the ropes fixed in what would be appear to be a voluntary way , or were they bound at the wrists and feet as well as fixed to the boat.

theory.PNG

An excerpt from the email;

Let the powers that be handle this, which is not you or your followers

Well apparently they have handled it Tiredofit , would you care to drop by and give your opinion now ,
to real people on the ground or further consult with the experts who have handled it. (Just a clue, This aint Kansas Dorothy) 
Edited by oztony
  • Like 2
Kabisay-an gid

It's too early to rule out foul play. I'm glad to see FBI involvement. The bodies need to be exhumed, and thorough autopsies done at a top-notch facility in Manila.

I hope the four still missing show up alive, but I fear they went down in the Sulu Sea.

My condolences to the families of the deceased, as well as Brad's very good friend, FISHINGBRAT.

• Like 5
daenselot

This is an email that was sent to Paul by one of the family members.

Paul,

You need to stop talking about BRAD FUGATE.  He is my cousins brother.  The girl who has been writing to you is a druggie and drama queen.  She started out calling Brad her brother, which was a flat out lie.  She is an IRRESPONSIBLE dumbass, and yes, she is my cousin, and still NOT is sister.

"The family is trying to PROTECT Brad."  and all the frivolous, vainglorious yammering  is going to get him killed.  He is in very serious trouble, and not a single person on your blog CAN or WILL help him, so stop playing.  We want Brad back, it's that simple.  Let the powers that be handle this, which is not you or your followers.  The girl is a cousin member of the family, and she is CUT OFF BECAUSE SHE IS STUPID.  I'm going to ask you to end this.  Otherwise, if he ends up dead, I hope you enjoy the cheap headlines.  The BOAT story may be buying him time.  NO the general public doesn't need to know every damn thing. 

I've been surfing the internet for his name to see what shows up, and here you guys are.  And my dumbass cousin.  When I see her, I'm going to slap her face.

Yes I'm Pissed.

YOU people need to STOP talking about this man before you get him killed. I can't believe how Fking unconscious you are. The girl you have been talking to is a fking DOPER and DRAMA QUEEN. She is IRRESPONSIBLE. "the family is trying to PROTECT Brad." Do YOU MIND? It's NOT for the general public to know everything, NONE of you are going to do or CAN to anything to help him. GET IT? 

I have been of the belief since reading this 11 or so days ago , that there has been a demand for money from the family by abductors/kidnappers

and this family is in real turmoil. But I still don't believe the silence was helpful. My theory is that a larger boat has taken control of the bangka that they

originally set off in and used as a base for their demands. The extra passengers/crew with Cristina and Brad were totally expendable , and would have been 

the first casualties of this fateful fishing trip. Brad would have been bargaining for himself and Cristina.

The smaller boat would have been in tow to the larger one. For whatever reasons negotiations have either broken down ,or the promises from the family of Brad were possibly fulfilled and the kidnappers have then just disposed of the last witnesses to their cowardly acts. I think they were bound and tied to the little boat they set out in , and then at some point the tow line to the bigger boat was just cut and they were left to drift . Why were they not just thrown in the ocean? could it be that the body's were in such a poor state with water already in the little boat that the kidnappers simply did not want to come in contact with them , did not want to get caught with their little boat any way , so they simply cut the rope , and more than likely had already removed the motor a lot earlier in these disgusting proceedings.

The email above seems to indicate that something sinister was afoot and that the family had knowledge that was not going to be disclosed to others because of fear of things happening. Another thing , is how is it that it is just Brad and Cristina at the end that were found , the other people were family to Cristina , these choices were not made by Brad and Cristina , they were made by others IMO. I would like to know how they were tied to the boat , because that really would be a decider in this whole hypothetical idea , were the ropes fixed in what would be appear to be a voluntary way , or were they bound at the wrists and feet as well as fixed to the boat.

attachicon.giftheory.PNG

Could be. If this was the case, i bet Paul would have received an email from the police asking to close this thread.