Foreigner and 5 locals go missing on fishing trip in Negros Oriental

oztony

The Sulu Sea is a very large area , really do wish these guy's some good fortune with this situation.

siaton.PNGsulu1.PNG

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

oztony

Any search needs to be conducted with aircraft , can you imagine just setting out in a boat to look for someone ?

If their boat did become disabled or sink there is still a chance that they could be picked up by a fishing boat or other vessel

It is certainly not long enough to lose hope just yet.

• Like 6
Kabisay-an gid

Those  are our worse fears but there have bee people missing at sea that have been found when hope was lost. We are trying to stay positive that Brad, Cristina and the others will be found ok

I agree COMPLETELY, ma'am! As I stated in post #12 in this thread, people have been found adrift and alive anywhere from days to months after they went missing. There is DEFINITELY still hope! The search WILL continue!

• Like 1
Semper paratus

Any search needs to be conducted with aircraft , can you imagine just setting out in a boat to look for someone ?

If their boat did become disabled or sink there is still a chance that they could be picked up by a fishing boat or other vessel

It is certainly not long enough to lose hope just yet.

As a former U.S. Coast Guard guy I can tell you we were sent out dozens/hundreds of times to look for boats and planes in all kinds of weather, so yes I sure can imagine sending out a boat to look for someone. So don't discount looking for someone by boat.

We even found people alive sometimes. Imagine that.

That was in the 1960's and there was no such thing as survival suits.

Depending on the location, weather, day versus night and the situation we searched by boat, plane, helicopter, truck, and even walked miles of beaches one step at a time. Not particularly fun or glamorous that's for sure.

• Like 6
Semper paratus

Perhaps you missed the very first part of my statement, "where I am from". I am from the Oregon coast, where the water temperature averages around 50 deg f. One has less than 30 minutes before hypothermia kicks in. In a survival suit a few hours at best.

The next day you are looking for bodies.

Why should it take a day for the police to notify the coast guard when lives are at stake? How do they notify them, carrier pigeon? Anyone ever heard of a TELEPHONE?

They are not missing in Oregon.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

Any search needs to be conducted with aircraft , can you imagine just setting out in a boat to look for someone ? If their boat did become disabled or sink there is still a chance that they could be picked up by a fishing boat or other vessel. It is certainly not long enough to lose hope just yet.

Post #6 in this thread states that a helicopter has already been deployed.

• Like 1

My thoughts and prayers are with the missing.

That area unfortunately falls into high risk foreigner kidnapping zone.

That's a shame. I didn't realize kidnapping was an issue in that area.

Kabisay-an gid

My thoughts and prayers are with the missing. That's a shame. I didn't realize kidnapping was an issue in that area.

They were believed to be just off the southern tip of Negros Island, near the coastal town of Siaton. If you look at a map, that's not very far from the Zamboanga Peninsula of Mindanao, a notorious terrorist hotspot. Kidnapping is a very real possibility.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
oztony

There was no news , just a rundown on already known stuff , the boat was full of fuel and the motor was new , they have no idea of where it could be

• Like 1
shadow

They are not missing in Oregon.

I did not imply that it was. My point was a search should have been well underway much before the two days it took for the coast guard to be notified and get underway. When lives count, taking a day plus for someone to notify the coast guard is absolutely nuts!

In Oregon Minutes count. But here a day or two is a normal timeframe for someone to let the coast guard in on the secret?  Let's just notify the CG by philpost!

• Like 7

Larry, do you know how big the banca was?  How big the motor was?  Most banca's will float quite well even when swamped.  That area is full of fishermen who ply those waters every day.  There would be a hundred boats on that sea, so if there was debris you would think someone would have spotted it.  The Zamboanga and Manila ferries also take that route.

Most of the Muslim  related problems happen further south of Dipolog.  However the lost 44 is huge news here and some folks are very upset more has not been done.  You can't have peace if your partner is more interested in war unless you capitulate, and that is not the mindset here.  All things considered I'd say kidnapping is a possibility although not a likely one.

If it is a smaller banca with a less than 20hp motor, it would surely float, the outriggers will float if they are separated.  In fact, on technique of righting a banca is to cut the outrigger off one side and use the remaining outrigger for leverage to right the boat, then reattach the outrigger.  If she caught firs, that could end badly as most of these people have no fire extinguishers on board, but if it burned, there would be a lot of smoke and its likely someone would come to investigate.  A mystery for sure.  Let's hope they made it to some isolated beach and are waiting to be found.  My prayers go out for them all.

• Like 3
shadow

Larry, do you know how big the banca was?  How big the motor was?  Most banca's will float quite well even when swamped.  That area is full of fishermen who ply those waters every day.  There would be a hundred boats on that sea, so if there was debris you would think someone would have spotted it.  The Zamboanga and Manila ferries also take that route.

Most of the Muslim  related problems happen further south of Dipolog.  However the lost 44 is huge news here and some folks are very upset more has not been done.  You can't have peace if your partner is more interested in war unless you capitulate, and that is not the mindset here.  All things considered I'd say kidnapping is a possibility although not a likely one.

If it is a smaller banca with a less than 20hp motor, it would surely float, the outriggers will float if they are separated.  In fact, on technique of righting a banca is to cut the outrigger off one side and use the remaining outrigger for leverage to right the boat, then reattach the outrigger.  If she caught firs, that could end badly as most of these people have no fire extinguishers on board, but if it burned, there would be a lot of smoke and its likely someone would come to investigate.  A mystery for sure.  Let's hope they made it to some isolated beach and are waiting to be found.  My prayers go out for them all.

I have no further knowledge than anyone here. However there is a large number of small bancas in that area, 25 feet or less, with 5-8 hp engines. I agree with all you stated. In addition to no fire extinguishers there are very seldom life jackets either.

In addition to no fire extinguishers there are very seldom life jackets either.

Well, why spoil things by bring life vests along?

• Like 1