Foreigner and 5 locals go missing on fishing trip in Negros Oriental

Anyone heard anything about this on the local media? Seems only the Dumaguete Bid for Me FB has any mention of it, which is somewhat worrying as they went missing on Friday!!!

OCD7 ADVISORY

To all local DRRM officers, members, response teams, bantay dagat in Negros Oriental please be informed and take necessary actions for 6 missing persons as reported by Phil Coast Guard -Dumaguete.

A banca with 6 persons on board (with 1 american) departed from Dumaguete on 13 February, at 8am allegedly for the purpose of leisure fishing in the southern part of negros oriental.

Said banca has not yet returned and the persons on board could no longer be contacted thru their cell phones.

In view of this concern, OCD enjoined LDRRMCS to please report to the nearest Coast Guard station in your area if there are developments about the banca and the passengers.

For your appropriate action on this matter. Allen Cabaron, ocd7 optns. provl coordinator for negor and siquijor.

*Chiquiting

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• daenselot

• shadow

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To All of Brads Friends and Family In America:   I really feel for you on the probable loss of your friend/family member, but the fact is the American border is about 8,000 miles North and East of h

We learned this morning the boat was 28' had a new motor and full tank of fuel. Brad apparently rented it between 8am-9am on the 12th. They went tuna fishing and were due back in on the 13th. Brad is

I have stated very little regarding this, until now.   I feel as though Brad's family, by keeping themselves quiet, probably hindered this whole case from the beginning. I had some come to me, askin

Posted Images

That's about right, regarding timing. Missing on Friday, disseminated - whenever.

Headshot

Cell phones don't work very well when they get wet.

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

A banca with 6 persons on board (with 1 american)

So is that supposed to make them care or not care?  

Does that mean they're really saying look for a banca with five locals?

FISHINGBRAT

The American is my very good friend Brad here is what we have posted on facebook. We are desperately trying to find Brad, Cristina and the others.

MISSING!!!!!!!!
This is a good friend of mine, originally posted by his brother Tom

Please Pray Than My Brother will be found!
My Brother , Bradley Jay Fugate is missing and there is supposedly a fishing boat that him and his girlfriend (Christina Andig) went out on with 4 crew members near Saiton Phillipines the six people aboard are said to be missing, The U.S. embassy in the Phillipines is informed and will begin the search Tuesday Morning at 7:30 AM Phillipines time. HE WAS LAST SEEN AT BLOCK #1 LOT 8 AMORIS SUB DIVISION, CAMANJAC DUMAGUETE CITY, ISLAND OF NEGROS ORIENTAL, PHILIPINES..............
missing since 02/12/2015

Picture of Brad

post-16853-0-04014900-1424193854_thumb.jpg

Brad and Cristina

post-16853-0-77888500-1424193891_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
FISHINGBRAT

This is the newest update this morning

To the family of Bradley Fugate,

On behalf of the U.S. Embassy, please accept our assurances of continued support during this difficult time. Befitting of the role of American Citizen Services, we have actively been monitoring the search efforts for Bradley and are working with the Philippine authorities to locate his party. . Below is the most up-to-date information that we’ve received.

On February 13th between 8:00 and 9:00am, Bradley rented a fishing boat and his party departed Siaton for a fishing trip. When they did not return the next day as scheduled, a police report was filed on February 14th at 8:30am with the senior police officer on duty at the Siaton Police Station. The station immediately coordinated with the local government units and began an investigation. On February 15th, the situation was escalated to the Coast Guard Station in Dumaguete. The report was disseminated both through the local fishing community and the following Coast Guard Stations:

- CSG Bayawan

- CSG Malatapay

- CSG Lorena

- CSG Siquijor

- CSG Dapitan

In addition to the nautical search, an aerial search was approved on February 16th and initiated this afternoon, February 17th, at 12:30pm. Due to scarce resources and other commitments, there was a delay of one day before the helicopter was transported from Manila and deployed. The search is ongoing, and we will provide updates as they are made available.

• Like 8
Mandingo

This is the newest update this morning

To the family of Bradley Fugate,

On behalf of the U.S. Embassy, please accept our assurances of continued support during this difficult time. Befitting of the role of American Citizen Services, we have actively been monitoring the search efforts for Bradley and are working with the Philippine authorities to locate his party. . Below is the most up-to-date information that we’ve received.

On February 13th between 8:00 and 9:00am, Bradley rented a fishing boat and his party departed Siaton for a fishing trip. When they did not return the next day as scheduled, a police report was filed on February 14th at 8:30am with the senior police officer on duty at the Siaton Police Station. The station immediately coordinated with the local government units and began an investigation. On February 15th, the situation was escalated to the Coast Guard Station in Dumaguete. The report was disseminated both through the local fishing community and the following Coast Guard Stations:

- CSG Bayawan

- CSG Malatapay

- CSG Lorena

- CSG Siquijor

- CSG Dapitan

In addition to the nautical search, an aerial search was approved on February 16th and initiated this afternoon, February 17th, at 12:30pm. Due to scarce resources and other commitments, there was a delay of one day before the helicopter was transported from Manila and deployed. The search is ongoing, and we will provide updates as they are made available.

Thanks for the update and my prayers are with you in finding Bradley, Christina, and the crew.  

Edited by Mandingo
  • Like 5

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear that no positive outcome as yet. My thoughts and prayers for all on board that boat.

• Like 2
Kabisay-an gid

That's about right, regarding timing. Missing on Friday, disseminated - whenever.

First off, my prayers go out to the missing and their families.

That said, I don't view the response time as inadequate. They were reported missing to the local police the very next morning. The police immediately contacted local government units, and the case was turned over to the Coast Guard the very next day after that. So the Coast Guard was on the job the day after they were reported missing.

Sadly, I must say I fear the worst here. The only possible scenarios I see are either the banca went down with all aboard, or they were kidnapped. Time will tell, but let's continue to hope and pray that they'll be found alive and safe shortly.

• Like 3
shadow

That said, I don't view the response time as inadequate. They were reported missing to the local police the very next morning. The police immediately contacted local government units, and the case was turned over to the Coast Guard the very next day after that. So the Coast Guard was on the job the day after they were reported missing.

Sadly, I must say I fear the worst here. The only possible scenarios I see are either the banca went down with all aboard, or they were kidnapped. Time will tell, but let's continue to hope and pray that they'll be found alive and safe shortly.

Where I am from, if the coast guard were enlisted the day after a report of a boat missing, basically means they will be looking for bodies and debris, not survivors. At that point the Coast Guard would be more of a salvage operator than a rescue unit.

I've been following this sad story since Friday.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

Where I am from, if the coast guard were enlisted the day after a report of a boat missing, basically means they will be looking for bodies and debris, not survivors. At that point the Coast Guard would be more of a salvage operator than a rescue unit. I've been following this sad story since Friday.

I disagree.

There have been many cases worldwide over the years where survivors were found adrift and alive after days, weeks or even months on the ocean.

A one-day response time on the weekend in a third world nation isn't bad. Unfortunately, the Philippines Coast Guard just doesn't have the material and human resources of their American counterpart.

So it is what it is. I'm more concerned with finding the missing alive, than casting stones at those who are doing the best they can with what they have, to find them.

• Like 7
FISHINGBRAT

Those  are our worse fears but there have bee people missing at sea that have been found when hope was lost. We are trying to stay positive that Brad, Cristina and the others will be found ok

• Like 2
shadow

I disagree.

There have been many cases worldwide over the years where survivors were found adrift and alive after days, weeks or even months on the ocean.

A one-day response time on the weekend in a third world nation isn't bad. Unfortunately, the Philippines Coast Guard just doesn't have the material and human resources of their American counterpart.

So it is what it is. I'm more concerned with finding the missing alive, than casting stones at those who are doing the best they can with what they have, to find them.

Perhaps you missed the very first part of my statement, "where I am from". I am from the Oregon coast, where the water temperature averages around 50 deg f. One has less than 30 minutes before hypothermia kicks in. In a survival suit a few hours at best.

The next day you are looking for bodies.

Why should it take a day for the police to notify the coast guard when lives are at stake? How do they notify them, carrier pigeon? Anyone ever heard of a TELEPHONE?

• Like 3