CDR King Solar panels (SM Consolacion)

I just went to SM Consolacion and they really geared up on solar panels - lot of choice - no comparison to down town (last time I was there).

They are selling the 100w at around 4800 - poly, but they have mono as well (however the last researches shows that poly and mono have nearly same efficiency nowadays - of course poly are bigger in size for the same amount of wattage, but I have no problem with space).

I just wonder if any of you guys had experience with these panels (or your opinion for that matter). Price seems right - nearly 1USD/watt - cant really argue with that (and I think it comes with a controller as well, but they are cheap nowadays....)

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?productstype=All+Products&searchvalue=solar&mod=products&type=search

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=21244&main=167#.VN4Td_nF-So

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=20996&main=167#.VN4T9_nF-Sp

I always enjoy this Brits reviews on local electrical and solar products..He certainly knows his onions!

• Like 2

I always enjoy this Brits reviews on local electrical and solar products..He certainly knows his onions!

One thing I would never do is to "trust" a charge controller - like those cheapy Chinese made ones, to maintain and "look after" a set of batteries that may be worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. 

The diodes are for reverse polarity protection, and prevent the panels from draining the batteries at night.

Edited by Paul
changed misinformation
  • Like 2

I just went to SM Consolacion and they really geared up on solar panels - lot of choice - no comparison to down town (last time I was there).

They are selling the 100w at around 4800 - poly, but they have mono as well (however the last researches shows that poly and mono have nearly same efficiency nowadays - of course poly are bigger in size for the same amount of wattage, but I have no problem with space).

I just wonder if any of you guys had experience with these panels (or your opinion for that matter). Price seems right - nearly 1USD/watt - cant really argue with that (and I think it comes with a controller as well, but they are cheap nowadays....)

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?productstype=All+Products&searchvalue=solar&mod=products&type=search

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=21244&main=167#.VN4Td_nF-So

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=20996&main=167#.VN4T9_nF-Sp 

CDR King definitely has some good prices on panels. My 135 watts Just Solar panels cost me $175.50 USD / each, in Cambodia. 

Edited by Paul
  • 3 months later...
CebuKano

What's the warranty on CDR's solar panels?

fordtech

What's the warranty on CDR's solar panels?

3 months but for what i have been told and researched there isn't much that can go wrong with them except if damaged in a storm. 

• Like 2
CebuKano

3 months but for what i have been told and researched there isn't much that can go wrong with them except if damaged in a storm.

That's pretty good for over here. I would have guessed one month. Not bad at all for the price. It's good to see solar finally become an attractive alternative.

Paul

I saw some, not long ago, that suffered an indirect lightening strike, while installed. The guy replaced the junction box and diodes, and found himself to be one lucky guy. The panels still functioned. So, do make sure you ground them as good as you can.

Proper solar panels should be warrantied for 20 years or so.

Do these panels have CDR King labels on them, as though they are manufactured BY CDR King?

thebob
The fuse is for reverse polarity protection.

The diode is for reverse polarity protection. That Fuse inside is to protect the electronics in the controller from the battery current.

I'd have been inside that controller in a heartbeat. The main point of failure is going to be the 4 electrolytic capacitors in there. Chinese capacitors are notorious for drying out and failing. I'd replace those with known quality ones to start with. The silicon pad isn't a very efficient way of conducting heat to the back panel, and a lot of that heat will stay inside the enclosure hastening the demise of those capacitors.

There were 3, TO220 devices which are probably MOSFET's. I'd be tempted to mount these outside the enclosure on a separate heatsink. There appears to be a crystal for the oscillator and a single IC. It would be nice to know the number of that chip to hunt for a data sheet.

There were a few unpopulated positions on that board, and often those boards are shared between models with more capability. So it may be possible to hack an upgrade.

I'm itching to install a solar system, it is the price of batteries that is holding me back. I have the same CDR King mini multi tester as the guy in the video. Really handy cheap unit.

CDR King Solar might not be the best quality or the cheapest but it is available. 

Edited by thebob
  • Like 3
Paul
The diode is for reverse polarity protection. That Fuse inside is to protect the electronics in the controller from the battery current.

I stand corrected. I don't recall why I posted that now, rather than "diode". But, yes, I agree with that.

Diodes in panels also prevent the panels from draining the batteries at night, when sunlight is no longer shining on them.

Edited by Paul