Sign in to follow this  
scoobie007

Bukidnon - Foreigners caught in AFP - NPA crossfire

scoobie007

MALAYBALAY CITY, Philippines – Seven foreign nationals who went birdwatching on Mount Kitanglad in Bukidnon province were caught in a crossfire between soldiers and communist guerillas Friday morning, February 13.

Their Filipino guide, Carlito Gayramara of Malaybalay City, was wounded. As of posting, he was being treated at the Bethyl Hospital, said Police Inspector Giselle Longakit, spokesperson of the Bukidnon police.

Authorities are still verifying if any of the foreigners were wounded.

The tourists – 3 British, 3 Danish, and one Australian – were birdwatching on Mount Kitanglad in Barangay Dalwangan, Malaybalay City, when the skirmish between elements of the 1st Special Forces Battalion and the New People's Army occurred.

In a joint peace and security council meeting on Thursday, Major General Oscar Lactao said there are 280 regular armed NPA rebels in two guerilla fronts in Bukidnon. There have been skirmishes in Mount Kitanglad recently.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/83855-foreigners-caught-in-crossfire-birdwatching-bukidnon

Lee

Much safer to go birdwatching down Mango Ave :)

:ROFLMAO:

easy44

Did anyone ever mention how dangerous it is in Mindanao?

• Like 2

cvgtpc1

Depends on who you talk to.

rainymike

Don't get outta the boat unless you know what you're getting into. But I'd say it applies to the entire country. Sorry I couldn't find a youtube version of this. One of my favorite scenes from Apocalypse now.

Never Get Out of the Boat

http://apocnowfiles.blogspot.com/2007/12/understanding-kurtz.html

Edited by rainymike

Lee

• Like 1

smokey

I sure they read all the forums about how its much safer in Mindanao then living in the west .. 

• Like 1

rainymike

Thanks Lee, but that one is blocked in the Phils.

• Like 1

rainymike

Much safer to go birdwatching down Mango Ave :)

Hmmm ... my experience has been that there are some mean ass hawks there on the look out for some dumb ass foreign pigeons.

• Like 2

Majorsco

And they don't have NPA anywhere else?  What about Leyte, Luzon, Cebu provinces?  There are NPA there too.  I remember being warned not to go in the hills above Dumaguete, and Cebu city due to NPA.  NPA has killed Americans near Angeles in the past too.  I don't hear don't go to Angeles or Luzon.  

So don't go to Mindanao because there are NPA there?  What about all the other provinces.  Virtually all of them have some degree of NPA presence and there are skirmishes in many of them, so why single out Mindanao again?  

The guide is the one I blame because any guide should be aware of what threats there are in the area, where to go and where not to go etc.

• Like 1

angbumabasa

It's been very quiet here regarding NPA since some were caught in Burgos. Some years ago a flotilla of NPA coming from Bohol landed between Hilongos and Baybay, and moved inland. The topography here is excellent for hiding. Limestone caves prevail. Kongleon used that in WWII. I'm told the wife's family never saw a Jap. Just went inland until it was all over. Presently the PNP and AFP state that the province is free of conflict.  

BTW I bird watch every morning and afternoon while feeding the chickens. The native wildlife joins in.

• Like 1

woodchopper

i am reasonably sure the 3 respective foreign travel advices by the 3 countries concerned have been advising their  citizens for a long time,,,DO NOT GO THERE!

• Like 2

easy44

And they don't have NPA anywhere else?  What about Leyte, Luzon, Cebu provinces?  There are NPA there too.  I remember being warned not to go in the hills above Dumaguete, and Cebu city due to NPA.  NPA has killed Americans near Angeles in the past too.  I don't hear don't go to Angeles or Luzon.  

So don't go to Mindanao because there are NPA there?  What about all the other provinces.  Virtually all of them have some degree of NPA presence and there are skirmishes in many of them, so why single out Mindanao again?  

The guide is the one I blame because any guide should be aware of what threats there are in the area, where to go and where not to go etc.

NPA is only one of several groups making Mindanao a dicey place to travel, outside of the safe larger cities.  I live on Leyte and they have some NPA here, so they tell me, but I haven't heard of any activity in my area for a couple of years.

Yes, I agree about the responsibility of the guide.  He has to take the bulk of the blame for this.

Majorsco

NPA is only one of several groups making Mindanao a dicey place to travel, outside of the safe larger cities.

More wrong information.  People  who don't live in Mindanao perpetuate this same wrong information all the time.  Labeling the entire island of Mindanao as a dangerous place is not true, which is why I commented.

Yes, there are places where there are Muslim insurgents and terrorists.  There are many, many places that are safe besides the larger cities.  I live in Mindanao, in  a rural place outside a small city.  We don't have those problems here.  I do know where the problem areas are on the island, and don't go there.

• Like 5