Sign in to follow this  
David Kennedy

Looking for quality boring and honing in Cebu with

David Kennedy

that company using at dial bore gauge  to check finished hone size or at least a bore I.D. snap gauge and micrometer..?

The shop in Dgte that has a boring bar only hones a cylinder until the piston drops through...

• Like 2

contraman

The shop in Dgte that has a boring bar only hones a cylinder until the piston drops through.

:yahoo:   Well thats all thats needed after all :yahoo:

riklynbor

Here in Oz we used to use the term "She'll be right mate" which is not used much anymore but I know this attitude is alive and well in Philippines. :-)

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

that company using at dial bore gauge  to check finished hone size or at least a bore I.D. snap gauge and micrometer..?

The shop in Dgte that has a boring bar only hones a cylinder until the piston drops through...

i dunno but anyone who uses honing as a method of setting piston to wall clearance should stick to vulcanizing.

• Like 5

For Real

I'd be surprised if you find any shop up to your expectations outside the NCR. Honing to the next size piston works well for go karts but the increments are small. When you say hone are you talking about a machine that can get the right cross hatch pattern or do you mean the tool you buy from Kmart and fit to your drill for a deglaze in the home garage and end up with most of the blow by coming back. The machine shop near me doesn't even have valve and seat cutting stones, just replace the valve and hand lap it is the gold standard.

I think you might have to compromise to get mobile again. If the Dgte shop can get you the right cross hatch I'd go with them but expect it's going to take a lot of time and check the final gaps with the piston and feeler guage in case they got tired of honing...this ain't Kansas Toto.

• Like 1

David Kennedy

I'm just going by XRsOnly's recommendation to bore the cylinder to their 66.5mm piston's OD, then hone it ( Sunnen 300) for the .0015 clearance.   I knew I'd get replies scoffing at such perfection from LIC experts, but that's what I'm aiming for at the moment. Even if I have to LBC the cylinder and piston to Manila.

I'm still mobile; the bike's running fine and not apart yet.. 

Edited by David Kennedy

shadow

I remember the first time I had my XRM "bored" to fit an oversize piston. When I got it back the piston would not fall through the bore, in fact it took some force to push it through (ZERO clearance). I was quite disgusted, but needed the bike that day, so put it together anyway.

It ran like a striped ass ape (sorry to the forum apes), for quite a few years.

Sometimes the levels of perfection we are accustomed to are not attainable, and not as necessary as we were led to believe all those years.

Whoever heard of welding stainless and cast iron with a stick? Or welding a broken brake drum? It's done every day here.

My first 5 years doing mechanical work here, I could not find a machine shop or an auto parts store that knew what plastigauge was. When I asked for plastigauge, they brought me a cheap plastic caliper.

• Like 5

trthebees

Whoever heard of welding stainless and cast iron with a stick? Or welding a broken brake drum? It's done every day here

Yeah, I've seen them weld the middle of a cast broken camshaft for a Briggs and Stratton back together. Heaven knows how it was broken. But the boat was back in the water and running... I don't know how long it lasted before it wiped out the bearings.

For Real

I'm just going by XRsOnly's recommendation to bore the cylinder to their 66.5mm piston's OD, then hone it ( Sunnen 300) for the .0015 clearance. I knew I'd get replies scoffing at such perfection from LIC experts, but that's what I'm aiming for at the moment. Even if I have to LBC the cylinder and piston to Manila.

I'm still mobile; the bike's running fine and not apart yet..

Knock yourself out! Rather then LBC go up in person with barrel and new piston. I'd be VERY surprised if what you want can be done properly in the Visayas.

Flexm

ii had some work done at Wellmade in Tipolo in Mandaue, they and reconditioned a cylinder head for me that required corrosion to be welded up, die grind the water jackets back in place, grind, new seats, valves, pressure tested etc (wasn't able to find a replacement head at a reasonable cost),  i was surprised that the workshop had an ISO and TUV certification, and most importantly understood the terminology in English. They had all kinds of machines there but off limits. i would be pretty sure they would be able to do what you need. i was a few years ago that i had used their services. I was happy with the end result.

• Like 1

contraman

It ran like a striped ass ape

So you are really saying it was very slow :)

• Like 1