Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

authentication problem

Wolfpack

bought my wife a router called "TP-LINK"

my computer is running fine off the router...

her tablet gizmo says "authentication problem" when she tries to access the internet through said router...

anyone have an answer how to fix this issue?

Edited by Wolfpack

Paddy

I have a TP-Link wireless router - it's pretty standard. However, my iPhone, for example, will only ask for the "password". It does not ask for any other security setting and there are some different ones that can be used.

If you are using the "default" recommended wireless security setting on the router, you might need to change the WPA/WPA2-Personal encryption method. There are three possible values on my router (mine is set to AES and, so far, everything that has tried to connect to it has succeeded):

• Automatic
  • TKIP
  • AES

post-15276-0-62471800-1423768552_thumb.jpg

If changing the encryption doesn't work, you can "step down" to WEP and see if that works. As a last resort, you can disable security completely just to make sure the tablet can actually talk to the router (this would tell you if it might be a problem other than the wireless security method being employed).

I have assumed that you are not using MAC filtering and that all other wireless settings (type b/g/n, channel etc) are all set to the default/flexible ("Auto") values.

If the tablet wants to connect using WPS (Wifi Protected Setup), check on the WPS page for the WPS PIN. 

post-15276-0-67337500-1423769536_thumb.jpg

Wolfpack

I have a TP-Link wireless router - it's pretty standard. However, my iPhone, for example, will only ask for the "password". It does not ask for any other security setting and there are some different ones that can be used.

If you are using the "default" recommended wireless security setting on the router, you might need to change the WPA/WPA2-Personal encryption method. There are three possible values on my router (mine is set to AES and, so far, everything that has tried to connect to it has succeeded):

• Automatic
  • TKIP
  • AES

attachicon.gif____TPLink.JPG

If changing the encryption doesn't work, you can "step down" to WEP and see if that works. As a last resort, you can disable security completely just to make sure the tablet can actually talk to the router (this would tell you if it might be a problem other than the wireless security method being employed).

I have assumed that you are not using MAC filtering and that all other wireless settings (type b/g/n, channel etc) are all set to the default/flexible ("Auto") values.

If the tablet wants to connect using WPS (Wifi Protected Setup), check on the WPS page for the WPS PIN. 

attachicon.gif____TPLink WPS.JPG

how do I get to the screen you are showing me to make adjustments?

Paddy

Go to your browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the URL field

You should see a login page from the router.

Normally, the default login is User ID = Admin, Password = Admin

Go here http://www.tplink.ca/en/support/download/- select your wireless router model number, select by version if required. One of the download options should be a user guide.

PS. One more thing - don't make changes to the router's wireless settings if you are connected to it wirelessly. To make changes to those settings, make sure you are connected using an ethernet cable.

Edited by Paddy

Wolfpack

Go to your browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the URL field

You should see a login page from the router.

Normally, the default login is User ID = Admin, Password = Admin

that did not work : (

Paddy

I just noticed you're in the US. Check your PMs - I will send you my phone number.

• Like 1

Woolf

wolfpack is NOT in usa

Wolfpack

wolfpack is NOT in usa

I do forget where I am from time to time...

Paul

I do forget where I am from time to time...

Dont worry. Knowing you are suffering from old timers, there is a positive side. You meet new people every day. :D

Do you have a US based phone number? Skype? Google Voice? Anything similar? 

• Like 1

Paddy

We are working slowly through PMs - with the odd scare :) - but we haven't broken anything (yet!).

• Like 2

Paul

Thanks, mate, for helpin' him out here.

• Like 1

Paddy

My pleasure Paul. It will be nice if we can get it fixed before I go to bed :)

Paddy

Success - happy surfing to Wolfpack and his tech-enabled wife :)

• Like 2

Paul

Success - happy surfing to Wolfpack and his tech-enabled wife :)

Get plenty of rest. I will be calling you when I get back to Cambodia in a couple of weeks. You can help me set up my new load balancing router. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SYQBN8/