Ensuring that your child is learning the right stuff.

If any of you are worried that the subject material that you child is learning in a Filipino School are not quite up to par, here are two links that you might want to check out.

http://www.ixl.com/

IXL Math and English costs about 74$ a year for your child to access all the required material of his or her age group. You can tailor the standards based on a particular US state, DOD Schools, or if you must, common core.

The exercises and tests are interactive and keep track of your child's strengths and weakness and how he or she is progressing. 

https://iuhighschool.iu.edu/

Indiana University High School offers parents a high quality US based High School education and diploma at an affordable price. 

Students include more than 600 Hoosiers—and 1,950 students from across the United States and in 35 countries—who complete courses annually.

At Indiana University High School, you can select from three diploma tracks, all of which lead to an accredited IUHS diploma. The option you select determines the requirements you'll have to fulfill. Your options includea general education diploma,a college prep diploma and an academic honors diploma.

Students come from diverse backgrounds and have a variety of needs. They include adults, public school students, homeschoolers, performers, athletes, students with disabilities, military personnel and their families,  gifted students, home-bound students, and many more.

Indiana University High School is administered by the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education. The experienced IU High School staff includes a director and associate director, academic counselors, a recorder, and a full complement of licensed and certified instructors. Students and their families choose Indiana University High School for the quality of its courses, instructors, and advisors, and because of Indiana University's reputation.

Indiana University High School is accredited by the North Central Association and the Commission on International and Transregional Accreditation, accrediting divisions of AdvancED, review Indiana University High School’s quality. These agencies assess Indiana University High School based on standards that the agencies have established and that follow the best educational practices.

Indiana University High School graduates have gone on to dozens of prestigious colleges and universities. Some of them include:

American University
Anderson University
Augsburg College
Aurora University
Ball State University
Belmont Abbey University
Black Hawk College
Boston College
Bradley University
Brown Mackie College
Calvin College
Cleveland Institute of Music
Columbia University
Concordia University
Cornell University
DePaul University
Drake University
Drew University
Eastman School of Music
Ferris State University
Franciscan University
George Washington University
Goucher College
Gustavus Adolphus College
Harvard University
Hendrix College
Indiana University
Indiana Wesleyan
Iowa State University
Juilliard School
Loyola Marymount
Loyola University Chicago
Manchester College
Manhattan School of Music
Marian College
Middlebury College
Murray State University
New York University
Northeastern University
Northern Michigan University
Northern Virginia Community College
Norwich University
Notre Dame University
Oakland City College
Oberlin Conservatory
Polytechnic University
Providence College
Purdue University
Sarah Lawrence College
Seattle Pacific University
Seton Hall University
St. Ambrose University
St. John’s University
St. Joseph’s College
St. Mary’s College
St. Olaf College
State University of New York
Taylor University
Temple University
Trinity College
Troy College
U.S. Naval Academy
University of California
University of Denver
University of Illinois
University of Indianapolis
University of Massachusetts
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
University of North Dakota
University of Notre Dame – Australia
University of Southern California
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin
Valparaiso University
Virginia Commonwealth
Western Michigan University 

I have purchased a year membership for my Filipino American son at IXL Math and English because I don't feel that the quality of education that he is receiving in the private school he attends is up to international standards.

When my son is ready for grade 9, I plan to enroll him at IUHS, so that he may have a US High School diploma and attend college in the US.

• Like 2
goggleye

too bad its not Purdue instead  lol (purdue grad here)        but seriously  they can be good but it takes an enormous amount of family and personal discipline to finish online coursework.    If you have that discipline then great.  

Florida has one too

http://flvs.net/Pages/default.aspx

price is very reasonable per semester     I oversee a online physics class at my school and the kids seem to learn physics  

Edited by goggleye
rainymike

Thanks. This is really good to know. As the kids get older, I do want to expose them to other educational systems. Might be distance learning, but I'm kind of partial to summer abroad or other types of experience that offers a real international experience. I think Australia and Taiwan were getting very big on distance learning as well.

• Like 1

I have read on this forum that some members are considering home schooling. If they are, what better way to do it than a tested, quality program that results in an internationally recognized high school diploma that would enable the child to be accepted to colleges worldwide?

A few administrative errors I made that I'd like to correct. 

1) The price for IXL math and English is $79.00 a year not $74 as I had previously stated.

2) You can tailor the content, curricula and academic standards for Australia, UK, Singapore, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, India, and EU member nations, as well as the US.

Disclaimer: I don't receive any commissions and or discounts on my son's fees, if you decide to give it a try.