Sign in to follow this  
Rocketman

Caught Rustan's Stealing - What to do...

Rocketman

While shopping at Ayalal I've been making special trips to Rustan's grocery store recently to buy Pomelo.  It's been very cheap - only P85/KG peeled!  For those who don't buy this fruit, that's a very cheap price.  Today I picked up a couple of packages and felt they were light.  I asked for them to be weighed and the worker, rather than weighing them, told me the weight includes the skin that was removed, so yes, the package is lighter than what's on the tag.  There, of course, is no indication on the label or anywhere around the display of this and I have to believe, even in this country that this is illegal.  

I asked to talk with the store manager.  He came over and reiterated what the clerk told me and thanked me for bringing this to his attention.  He agreed that the tactic is misleading to the customer.  I said it's more than that, it's illegal.  He kind of nodded.

I don't expect a world of change over this but it's just so flagrant, coming from a "reputable" store and I feel like I've been screwed, that I have to send a few e-mails just to see what happens.  Does anyone know where I should go with this?

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 1

BossHog

jeeze i sell mine for 20.kilo.

thst's a major mark-up.

try not going to stores.

stores suck

• Like 4

burnttoast

What would be interesting is if you could take the package to another scale and get it weighed just for the record and report that here. Then as a control if you find similar Pomelo fruit outside Rustans weigh that one as well with the skin intact and you will have a pretty good idea whats really going on.

Edited by burnttoast

Rocketman

Just forget it and move on

You will just get ulcers or be miserable if you let things like that worry you.

Remember you are not in your home country and life is more fun in the Philippines

Yup, I've lived here long enough to know things won't change and I shouldn't let things bother me.  I don't for the most part, but this one is just so interesting to me and is so flagrant.  I'm not all "worked up" over it and I expect nothing from it.  I just want to send and e-mail to the right gov't department and see what happens - expecting nothing.  

What would be interesting is if you could take the package to another scale and get it weighed just for the record and report that here. Then as a control if you find similar Pomelo fruit outside Rustans weigh that one as well with the skin intact and you will have a pretty good idea whats really going on.

Did that and it's about 1/2 the weight making the real price about P160/KG.  Metro has it for P50/KG.

Art

I would march right into the managers office and demand that they give me the peels that they stole from me !!  I would say [ in a very loud voice!]  listen, I paid for those peels and I demand to be given them.

I'm not going shopping with you.

I think the OP is doing the right thing researching possible actions one can do, he may conclude like others its a useless exercise or expose a currupt practice that someone in charge may not be aware of. 

• Like 1

Davaoeno

I was mortified beyond belief once at the beach.  Here is guy selling fresh buko[coconut] for 30 pesos each.  I told him i wanted one.  He then took his bolo[machete] and chopped one end off and gave it to me. Boy did I give him shit !! I stood my ground and demanded that he give me the piece that he chopped off 

And dont get me started on the fish seller who was selling from his boat on the shore who weighed the fish and then gutted it right in front of me and didnt give me the guts

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 6

Art

What do they say- no good deed goes unpunished?  Here Rustans weighs the pomellos and puts the price on the package. Then, as a very customer service oriented company they pay someone to remove the peels so the consumer can more easily consume them.  Then what happens ? Mr Rocketman comes along and complains that he didnt get the peels that he paid for !!!  There just aint no justice in the world I tell you !!  

If I were marketing manager of Rustans I would get Mr Rocketman's address and by way of appology have 50 kilos of pomelo peels delivered to his home.  

Yeah its all in the way you look at things you are suggesting they are upping customer service to a higher level by peeling the fruit for the customer very thoughtful of them if true.  Whereas the OP is suggesting they are short changing him on the weight something we are accustomed too when weights differ between stated and actual.   What is the truth here?  Do you really think Rustans is so customer oriented they do little services like that?  I have no idea never having used Rustans but I do like my actual weight the same as printed weight makes for a more ordered world. 

I was mortified beyond belief once at the beach.  Here is guy selling fresh buko[coconut] for 30 pesos each.  I told him i wanted one.  He then took his bolo[machete] and chopped one end off and gave it to me. Boy did I give him shit !! I stood my ground and demanded that he give me the piece that he chopped off 

And dont get me started on the fish seller who was selling from his boat on the shore who weighed the fish and then gutted it right in front of me and didnt give me the guts

Geeze Davaoeno you worry me arguing with a man carrying a bolo or another man with gutting knife in his hand do you have a death wish?   I am concerned about you, you seem to have lost all common sense sometimes. 

• Like 3

Davaoeno

I do like my actual weight the same as printed weight

just make sure to ask for them to include your peels then - I cant imagine them refusing to do so ! 

[ you are probably one of those guys Art who goes to the lumber yard and complains that his 2x4 studs are only 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches !!! ]

• Like 2

Art

just make sure to ask for them to include your peels then - I cant imagine them refusing to do so ! 

[ you are probably one of those guys Art who goes to the lumber yard and complains that his 2x4 studs are only 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches !!! ]

You nailed me.   Here in my adopted country its illegal to sell a product different from advertised and the op is suggesting the same, those of us who like our reality kept real want it to be real everywhere we go.  

Hy H

While shopping at Ayalal I've been making special trips to Rustan's grocery store recently to buy Pomelo.  It's been very cheap - only P85/KG peeled!  For those who don't buy this fruit, that's a very cheap price.  Today I picked up a couple of packages and felt they were light.  I asked for them to be weighed and the worker, rather than weighing them, told me the weight includes the skin that was removed, so yes, the package is lighter than what's on the tag.  There, of course, is no indication on the label or anywhere around the display of this and I have to believe, even in this country that this is illegal.  

I asked to talk with the store manager.  He came over and reiterated what the clerk told me and thanked me for bringing this to his attention.  He agreed that the tactic is misleading to the customer.  I said it's more than that, it's illegal.  He kind of nodded.

I don't expect a world of change over this but it's just so flagrant, coming from a "reputable" store and I feel like I've been screwed, that I have to send a few e-mails just to see what happens.  Does anyone know where I should go with this?

Take a video of it and post it on u-tube.   Things after that will take care of itself.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

Take a video of it and post it on u-tube.   Things after that will take care of itself.

Absolutely !! Rustans will be forced to post a sign saying " please ask if you want the peels included"

• Like 4

Rocketman

I thought of the U-tube thing and asked my Gf if she would have been the camera girl - don't think she would have been up for that.  LOL

I've bought the same thing at other stores and the peeled stuff is about double the price of unpeeled - as it should be.  This is not quite the same thing as the stores who keep 12 centavos of your change.  This is clearly charging customers twice the price they think they are paying and it's completely orchestrated by a big store.

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 3