Sign in to follow this  
throttleplate

tourist visa extension up to 24 months

nomad4ever

I did a standard 6 months tourist visa without any problems back in November, which is just 1 small orange sticker in my passport and some 8k Pesos paid once. Took about 1 hour in JMall Mandaue.

The only requisites was coming into the country on the normal arrival visa (first 4 week free) and doing 1 regular 1 month extension. So it wasn't possible to do the 6 months right after the first 4 weeks.

This is what they need to address. It is a pain in the butt to have to go to the BI every two months, for long staying expats.

Edited by nomad4ever

throttleplate

1. How long can I extend my in the Philippines?

Under Immigration Memorandum Circular No. SBM-2013-003, non-visa required national may extend their stay up to thirty six (36) months while visa required national may extend their stay up to twenty four (24) months.

Note: The said periods shall be counted from the date of the applicant’s latest recorded arrival.

The US, UK, Australia, and most other western countries are considered "non-visa required" because their nationals can arrive in the philippines without previously getting a visa in their home countries.  They can extend their stays up to 36 months.  Visa required nationals, from countries where they must get a visa before traveling to the Philippines, can only stay up to 24 months.

Woolf already posted the list in this thread:

http://www.philembas...r-services/visa

Not sure what else we can tell you.  You should read the posts here because it has already been explained a couple of times.  If you still don't understand you better go to the BI and have them explain it.

What i was wanting was to read if a member actually walked in and got extended after his 16 month stay without having to do any paperwork asking for special permission because as we full time residents here know what you read in the rules doesnt always apply when you walk up to get it done and then you are fecked as often happens here in the ph.Thank you to the members whom gave me the information from boots on the ground walking in and doing it after 16 month stay.

BlueFin

Staying 12, 18, 24 or 36 months is not really the issue, members on other boards seem to be reporting more often being hassled on the way back in after those extended periods of tourist stay.

"You can't live here on a tourist visa" is the typical report I'm reading reported on other expat boards (this one inclucded sometimes).

Even though you are within the rules and pay the fees, an upset or testy immigration officer can deny you entry.

They can make a judgement call for whatever reason and deny you.

throttleplate

its a known that if you are current on your tourist visa and leave to go to thailand for a week to have some fun and then reenter the ph you have to start the visa process from the beginning again.Thats what i was told but then again who really knows on any given day how that situation works,anyone had this experience?

Edited by throttleplate

easy44

Staying 12, 18, 24 or 36 months is not really the issue, members on other boards seem to be reporting more often being hassled on the way back in after those extended periods of tourist stay.

"You can't live here on a tourist visa" is the typical report I'm reading reported on other expat boards (this one inclucded sometimes).

Even though you are within the rules and pay the fees, an upset or testy immigration officer can deny you entry.

They can make a judgement call for whatever reason and deny you.

I have never heard of that happening on return to the PH, but I'm sure it could have.  If it had happened to anyone it should have happened to me.  I have been living here on a tourist visa for 14 years now.  BI doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

• Like 2

BlueFin

I have never heard of that happening on return to the PH, but I'm sure it could have.  If it had happened to anyone it should have happened to me.  I have been living here on a tourist visa for 14 years now.  BI doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

Yeah me also no problem. I usually exit the country twice a year anyway, but for sure it's reported by others being questioned about so many extensions.

I've also heard guys report immigration said "Oh you must be working here because you have so many extensions".

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I had an immigration officer say to me, "you are getting married soon aren't you". It was on a returning vacation from Thailand. He saw we had been traveling together for several years.

A_Simple_Man

reporting more often being hassled on the way back in after those extended periods of tourist stay.

I have never heard of that happening on return to the PH, but I'm sure it could have.

Yes, it happened to me on my last entry:  Mactan airport,  about noonish on Oct 11, 2013, coming from spending a day in HongKong.  The official stamping my passport says:  "You are back fast, do you know the tourist visa is not intended as permanent residency".  I just smiled and said:  Yes, I am working on that.

I suspect that is just one guard who saw all the stamps in my passport over the years and felt pompous that day.  There is no official reason to deny me entry.  (I had previously stayed 16 months then left for 20 hours and returned.)

On a previous occasion I had an official at Mactan tell me that my return ticket was supposed to be dated within 21 days (a few years back now).  Again, I suspect the guards are looking to justify their existence and get that feeling of power that comes from lording over the tourists.

BlueFin

There is no official reason to deny me entry.

Yep that's exactly right.

Some foreigners give them an official reason to deny them once they loose the temper/cool and start growling about this and that back at the immigration officer.

I heard of one such episode a couple years back from Clark Intl. airport.

A foreinger went under the ropes intead of zig zagging through the empty lanes (he was 1st of the flight).

An officer told him to go back and zig zag through. Anywyas he grumbled "This is bullshit" or something like that = denied entry.

In the end the foreigner gave them a reason to deny him (albeit a bit harsh punishment for his crime I think).

Woolf

What i was wanting was to read if a member actually walked in and got extended after his 16 month stay without having to do any paperwork asking for special permission because as we full time residents here know what you read in the rules doesnt always apply when you walk up to get it done and then you are fecked as often happens here in the ph.Thank you to the members whom gave me the information from boots on the ground walking in and doing it after 16 month stay.

Old thread where 36 month stay was mentioned  (Posted 28 January 2014 )

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/68230-tourist-visa-up-to-3-years-now-36-months/?p=770117

I was in BI to extend my visa after my 16 months permitted stay, I had all the papers and my "motion for reconsideration" ready!

However, new rules, this is no longer necessary, we can extend until 36 months now!

No need for motion for reconsideration after 16 months. (I payed the "normal" 2800+ for my month 17 and 18)

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

SkyMan

The official stamping my passport says:  "You are back fast, do you know the tourist visa is not intended as permanent residency".  I just smiled and said:  Yes, I am working on that.
I'd have said I forgot my hat.
  • Like 3

Faktor

when i was last in tacloban i asked them about the 3 year rule. they told me. no need to go anywhere else no need for dispensation from manila. they could keep stamping my passport until the end, they then look at my passport and looked in the computer and said u can stay until jan 13 2017 just come here every 59 days.. i arrived jan 13 2014

Woolf

just come here every 59 days.. i arrived jan 13 2014

Not that it matters much, but it is  30 + 29 days after entry in country, after the first 59 days it is monthly based

extensions are 1 month, 2 months and 6 months

• Like 1

Mari M

Can someone please enlighten me on this 36 months stay?

So when my husband and I arrive there, he'll get a BB stamp good for 1 year. Does he still have to leave the country before the BB is up? Or he can just go to BOI to extend every 6 months,

and then only leave PI just before the 36th month?

Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day to all!

easy44

Can someone please enlighten me on this 36 months stay?

So when my husband and I arrive there, he'll get a BB stamp good for 1 year. Does he still have to leave the country before the BB is up? Or he can just go to BOI to extend every 6 months,

and then only leave PI just before the 36th month?

Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day to all!

Yes, basically.  After your one year BB expires, you can go and start getting 2 month extensions, like a tourist visa.  Not sure if you can get 6 month extensions because they have some restrictions on the timing of those.  You can continue until you have been in the Philippines for a total of 36 months.  At that time you must leave the country.

• Like 1