Age Difference Between You & Your Spouse / Girlfriend

223 members have voted

1. 1. How many years difference is there between you and your spouse or girlfriend?

• Less than 10 years.
    • 10 to 15 years.
    • 15 to 20 years.
    • 20 to 25 years.
    • 25 to 30 years.
    • 30 years +.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I don't get the confusion. While the Philippines doesn't alway word their laws too clear, in this situation, it's talking about minors over 12 with someone more than 10 years older than them. If your wife is 20 and your 40, it doesn't apply to you. If your dating a 16 year old and your over 26, it would apply to you.

• Like 4
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• contraman

• For Real

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I first read this I thought you was asking for the age diffrence between your spouse AND your girl friend.  lol

I maintained a loose friendship with a man in his late 70's in Toronto.  He was a neighbour of mine, about 400 meters away.  He always sat outside in early morning, and was a smoker, so for the first

Married in 1986 when I was 28 and she was 22. Marriage to her is the best decision I made in my life as she has proved to be a fun loving and very patient gal. I guess we all feel we married the lovel

Posted Images

contraman

I don't get the confusion. While the Philippines doesn't alway word their laws too clear, in this situation, it's talking about minors over 12 with someone more than 10 years older than them. If your wife is 20 and your 40, it doesn't apply to you. If your dating a 16 year old and your over 26, it would apply to you.

According to this article provided by Mr Google :) A child is 18 or under

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/80068-minor’s-american-bf-faces-case/?p=981509

My wife is 32 in a few days and I am 53 now but turn 54 in September this year, ( if any of you guys are thinking of getting me something I drink scotch ) so 21 years and 7 months difference.  She had just turned 25 when we meet and looked 18, and think I looked around 40 at the time. She now looks around 22 and I look around 60, so she has aged 4 years in 7 years and I have aged 20 years in the same time....  must be the bliss of married life .... As far as maturity, some times I wonder if she has left school yet, and other time she is years ahead of me, so I put it down to cultural differences. 

So have a look at the photo and have a guess at our ages at the time the photo was taken........

post-3349-0-10824100-1423261978_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

According to this article provided by Mr Google :) A child is 18 or under

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/80068-minor’s-american-bf-faces-case/?p=981509

So! Then it applies to any minor if your implying that's the same as a child, between 12 and 18 then. I still don't see the confusion?

rainymike

bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition-----  I am not sure just what that is . I would have to research case law to make any kind of guess as to what it meant.   But i would think that a relationship between a couple of more  than 10 years difference could very often be seen to be withing local custom and tradition ..i n the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.------ now  I would be willing to argue that declaring to parents that I would pay for a daughters education then entailed a social or moral duty on my part - and thus within the law despite the age difference [ if of course she was 18 or older].

I'm not a legal expert, but my read on that phrase is that probably would cover a lot of extended family relationships where kids are raised by relatives, godparents, other guardians and social agencies and the like. May have blood relations or may not. If referring to relationships with a younger woman that is not a minor, the law seems broad enough to cover a range of relationships that would include courting a younger woman, dating a younger woman, providing economic or social support, blah, blah, blah.

This has never been an issue with my partner or the kids and legal authorities over 7 years. But then, I am not seen with them in circumstances that might suggest some kind of a predatory relationship.

Frankly, I think some people make too much out of laws like this that have a clear intent and purpose, but are hard to put into legal terms. I mean the law has to have enough flex to allow a broad range of legitimate relationships. I function as husband to my partner - guardian to the kids that are not biologically mine - and father to the kid that is biologically mine. To the extent that I function in this capacity in a legitimate manner, things work well. But the law also needs enough flex so that if there were some evidence that I was abusive in the relationship, it would leave enough of a crack in the door for authorities to step in and investigate. 

Given the kinds of crimes that take place today and the kinds of predators that do exist in this country, I think it's probably a good idea to have a law like this.

IMO the law is more about the nature of a relationship than arbitrary age differences. I don't think the country is trying to legislate the age differences in relationships. It is trying to say that the law will not tolerate abusive or exploiting relationships that might involve statutory rape, prostitution, sexual abuse of a minor, child p*ornography, etc. Laws like this are rarely perfect. It's like trying to define p*ornography. Don't hold your breath expecting a perfect law. Don't think that's possible in any country on this planet.

Anyway, been here going on 7 years now. My partner is a good 30+ years my junior. Hell, my kids are a good 50 years my junior. I would imagine that when the 'system' looks at me, it looks at the context of the relationship. Am I functioning as a parent/guardian? Am I functioning as the head of the household? Is the relationship a constructive one or an abusive one? Like trying to define p*orn - there are huge gray areas, but it's kinda - I know it when I see it.

Have to keep you eyes and mind on the task. And that task is raising a family - not counting the differences in years. I think if you keep your mind and actions on the right track, you've got your bases covered. 

• Like 4

When I first read this I thought you was asking for the age diffrence between your spouse AND your girl friend.  lol

Whatever it takes, Jim. :D

contraman

So! Then it applies to any minor if your implying that's the same as a child, between 12 and 18 then. I still don't see the confusion?

That USA air has really changed you :(

• Like 1
BossHog

So have a look at the photo

looks like you're sporting a little wood there. chief.

• Like 3

This poll is discriminatory.

It supposes that everyones spouse or girlfriend is younger.

No provision to vote if the spouse is older 

Just saying :)

Poll: Age Difference Between You & Your Spouse / Girlfriend

So have a look at the photo and have a guess at our ages at the time the photo was taken........

attachicon.gifMe and the wife.JPG

16 and 87? LOL

• Like 5
contraman

This poll is discriminatory.

It supposes that everyones spouse or girlfriend is younger.

No provision to vote if the spouse ( or Girlfriend) is older 

Just saying :)

Sorry 

I can not make it any clearer than that :(

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

That USA air has really changed you :(

OK would someone tell me where I'm going wrong here? Does anyone think this really applies to anyone with more than a 10 year age difference regardless of how old the younger person in the relationship is? If so, why would the government allow all of us to marry much younger women? Edited by Salty Dog

16 and 87? LOL

Well, this sort of reply will create confusion with some viewers, what one do you think is 16 and what one do you think is 87 ???? You need to be more specific Paul lol...  

But good guess..... haha 

• Like 2

Well, this sort of reply will create confusion with some viewers, what one do you think is 16 and what one do you think is 87 ???? You need to be more specific Paul lol...  

But good guess..... haha 

She's a beautiful gal. If her personality is half as nice as her beauty, you are a very lucky guy.

I favor the petite ones, myself.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Sorry 

I can not make it any clearer than that :(

it doesn't say in the poll question who is older .. just the difference

• Like 2